Share This Page:

What's your opinion now Obama is president?

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Wholley,

A couple of quotes from the article:

as he tries to fulfill a campaign promise to close Guantanamo Bay and establish a new system for prosecuting suspected terrorists..

I'm not sure they 'ever' had a system - which is pretty much the whole problem.

Obama could take a page from the Bush administration and try to revamp the system on his own, through executive order.

Bush seems to have recognized this [eventually :roll: ] but still failed to come up with a credible solution.

As the USAF General (?) said:

"Federal judges in my opinion should not be making battlefield decisions. ... I don't want to lose sight of the fact that we are at war," he said.
But he can conveniently lose sight of the Geneva Convention.
Last edited by Sisyphus on Sun 25 Jan, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Anyway, with reference to the original question.

Being mixed-race and not coming from one of the established political dynasties in the US he, at least, provides a sense of hope for [most] Americans. Perhaps his biggest advantage is that he isn't George Bush.

There again, Thatcher and Blair were both 'beacons of hope' on their appointment. I rather think Obama will fail as they both did. Not necessarily because of personal weaknesses but, in my view, countries and presidents/politicians are becoming increasingly irrelevant in a globalized economy.

And we live in a society of 'I see, I want, I get'- although that bubble may have just burst. How we get back to the days where it was [or had to be] 'I see, I want, I save, I get', is the big question. Maybe this recession will force people to behave differently??

On one specific point I was disappointed to hear him approve billions for embryonic stem cell research, because:

human stem cell research is well advanced and has already created cures for a long list of illnesses/genetic defects. The money would have been better spent supporting further research in this area.
E.S.C.R. hasn't had a single success and it could be upto 20 years, and many more $billions before they do.
The E.S.C.R lobby tried to counter the criticism of using human embryos by changing to Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer (therapeutic therapy) which [some legislatures fell for].
The reality is that SCNT uses embryos in the same was as ESCR. It is no more than a play on words.

Strangely [or not? :-? ] while it is possible to use, manipulate and destroy human eggs in the U.S. guess what happens if you steal the egg of a bird like, say, the Golden Eagle?

It's an odd country where the eggs of a bird are considered more important than the eggs of a human! :(
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Sorry Rocky,
I fail to see the analogy.
The US is indeed a strange country,
but only to those who have never lived there.
And I don't mean vacation in NY or Floridah. :D
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Wholley wrote:Sorry Rocky,
I fail to see the analogy.
The US is indeed a strange country,
but only to those who have never lived there.
And I don't mean vacation in NY or Floridah. :D

Apologies unnecessary, Sir! :wink:

I should have just said I thought Obama was wrong in funding embryonic stem cell research! :-?

I'll start another thread on birds' eggs! :D
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Sisyphus wrote: Apologies unnecessary, Sir! :wink:
Don't call me Sir,I work for a living....... :D

Hmmm,Birds eggs...
You start the thread and I'll chirp in.
In all seriousness stem cell research was binned by the Rebuplicans so it comes as no suprise that Obama would support it.
Same old story,party politics.
New face,same old game.
colmurph

Re:

Post by colmurph »

owdun wrote:Give him a couple of years at most,then there will be an assassination attempt.If they could do for the Kennedy's,what chance has this boy??

Owdun. :evil:
Nobody will try to assassinate him. The end result would be far worse than if he were left alone. We could end up with Joe Biden as POTUS and this guy has very few brain cells working and if somebody were to take him out we would be up Shite's Creek in a barbed wire canoe without a paddle because we would end up with "Queen" Nancy Pelosi as POTUS. This is the "Bag" who flies home to California every weekend on "Air Force Two". No, best to just let nature take it's course and the american people will "pass" this problem in the next elections. As it stands now, BO wouldn't stand a chance at re-election. Even the far left Liberal Democrats are getting sick of him.
terryrat

Re: What's your opinion now Obama is president?

Post by terryrat »

Well we now know how right you are dont we .....colmurph :D
THE BERET OF THE ROYAL MARINE COMMANDO, He who wear's it does so with pride. He who doesn't has no f@*king concept of how hard it is to attain!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Jeez,your a voice from the past.
Good to see you type again :P

Keep low and Stay safe.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Now will it be a choice between Palin and Obama next time, or is it a choice.