Share This Page:

N.U.T.

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
Wholley

N.U.T.

Post by Wholley »

The new president of the NUT has called for less"Britishness"to be taught in British schools.
Ermm..Shome mishtake here shurely?
Same thing's going on at home with Mexicans demanding that Spanish be taught in "Their" schools exculsively.
Used to be you had to read and write English before you could gain citizenship.
The so called"Floating Voter"Has a lot to do with this.
"I'll vote for him/her as he/she looks good in that suit"

Comments or incoming welcome.

Abdullah.
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

LESS Britishness??? :evil: :evil:

I didn't know there was ANY Britishness being taught in schools! :(
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

It just gets worse Rocky.
Latest is the Church of England is being encouraged by the Government to have closer ties with the Muslim Faith to ensure"Racial Harmony"
Fark That.
I'm going home to the US in July.
Least there we can still shoot'em.
Unless they are likely to vote for Hilary :evil:
Then all of a sudden their not Illegal's but"Provisional Citizens"
Seems no-one on either side of the pond is going to learn until it's too late.
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

Why would being taught Brithsness be a good thing in the first place? I'm proud of this country, but if I had to sit thier while someone else told me why I should be proud, then I'd simply tell ehm to f@#k off. We arent born with a stamp of nationality.
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Dangermouse wrote:Why would being taught Brithsness be a good thing in the first place?
Because part of it is history. And today most kids don't know the date of the Battle of Hastings, think the Magna Carta is an ice scream [sic] and Winston Churchill won the Battle of Trafalgar!?

Oh, and the fact that the great British Empire we're so proud of was won on the backs of working class men whose kids were working in factories, down coal mines or up chimneys, [when they weren't being deported for stealing bread] so that the very few landed aristocracy could continue to live in the style to which they had become accustomed. :x
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

I've got no qualms about teaching kids British history, but the whole idea of teaching 'Britishness' implies that kids are going to be indoctrinated into a national identity that should fully be the choice of the individual, similar to kids in the states who recite the pledge of allegience before school.