Share This Page:

U.N attacks the U.S

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
jock

U.N attacks the U.S

Post by jock »

The US says any mistakes made had been corrected
The US has defended its treatment of suspects detained in its "war on terror", telling a UN committee that it considers the use of torture as wrong.
US Assistant Secretary of State for Human Rights Barry Lowenkron told the Committee Against Torture in Geneva that US law prohibited such practices.

Senior US officials are testifying before the committee for the first time since the 11 September 2001 attacks.

Rights groups accuse the US of flouting the UN Convention against Torture.

They say the US allows the torture and inhumane treatment of foreign terror suspects at their detention centres around the word, including Afghanistan, Iraq and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

'Inexcusable acts'

In his opening statement, Mr Lowenkron stressed that the US government rejected the use of torture.

COMMITTEE KEY QUESTIONS
Interpretation: How does Washington interpret the absolute ban on torture
Interrogation practices: What rules and methods does the US employ
Secret prisons: Why has the US established secret prisons
Responsibility: Does the US take responsibility for torture committed by agents overseas
Abu Ghraib: What measures have been taken to identify and remedy problems
Investigation: Has there been an independent investigation into whether defence officials authorised torture
Read the questions in full:
UN Committee Against Torture: Questions to US in full (48K)
Most computers will open PDF documents automatically, but you may need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Download the reader here

"My government's position is clear: US criminal law and treaty obligations prohibit torture. Torture is wrong," he said.

Mr Lowenkron said abuses carried out by US soldiers at Iraq's Abu Ghraib jail had been "inexcusable, they were indefensible".

But he noted that more than 250 people had been held accountable.

State department legal adviser John Bellinger told the committee the US would answer its questions, but he urged its members "not to believe every allegation".

"When we make mistakes we take corrective measures. Our system is designed to do just that," he said.

US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense Charles Stimson said 120 detainees had died in Iraq and Afghanistan, 29 of whom might have been abused.

He said suspected cases were investigated and "appropriate action taken".

The BBC's defence and security correspondent Rob Watson says the size of the delegation - nearly 30-strong - indicates the determination of the Bush administration to fight back against the numerous allegations over its treatment of terrorism suspects.

But he says it also seems to be an acknowledgement of the damage done to America's standing in the world.

Names and numbers

The committee has 59 questions for the US, 53 of which relate to the war on terror.
jock

Post by jock »

The U.s should be held accountable for their inhumane act's of torture of prisnors held in jails throughout the world.This is clearly against their "HUMANE RIGHTS".If there is no evidence to be found on those held they should be realised or deported back to the country that they were caught.They torture them to the point to where they sign on the dotted line admitting the act's the U.S say's they have carried out,just to stop the pain & suffering they go through. :agrue:
Sonne

Post by Sonne »

I have a quick question Jock; why do you post here?

From what i have read thusfar all you have done is copy/ paste news articles. With the exception of a few other remarkes slating para's / other members of the forums you have not contributed anything at all ot the board.

Sonne
Noble and manly music invigorates the spirit, strengthens the wavering man, and incites him to great and worthy deeds - Homer
jock

Post by jock »

Sonne wrote:I have a quick question Jock; why do you post here?

From what i have read thusfar all you have done is copy/ paste news articles. With the exception of a few other remarkes slating para's / other members of the forums you have not contributed anything at all ot the board.

Sonne
Wait one minute mate i am not slagging para,or any other regt.I copy etc,why it's NEW's and i give my opinon on the subject.You do your thing,i will do mine.The mods will tell me if i am right or wrong.With Respect. :lol:
Doc

Post by Doc »

jock wrote:The mods will tell me if i am right or wrong.
Ok then.......

Your wrong!

Clear?
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

In the lands of the North, where the Black Rocks stand guard against the cold sea, in the dark night that is very long the Men of the Northlands sit by their great log fires and they tell a tale...
Get a backplate from a Pinto powered Cortina. This will need to be modified as the rear crank seal housing is much larger on the kent engine. So simply cut out around the center until it fits your engine. This is the easiest and therefore the best solution.
The accounts of Mohawk migrations previous to the historical period are largely conjectural. Some writers do not clearly differentiate between the Mohawk and the Huron tribes at the north and west and from their own confederates as a whole. Besides fragmentary and untrustworthy traditions little that is definite is known regarding the migratory movements of the Mohawk.
Tivoli opened in 1843, after a Danish architect named Georg Carstensen talked King Christian VIII into leasing him a site for a park modeled after the now-defunct Parisian Tivoli and Vauxhall Gardens in London.
See my selection of random meangingless quotes is rather more interesting than yours, fugwit :roll:
The mods will tell me if i am right or wrong
The mods have spoken you thick twonk. The Welsh one locked your other quotefest because it was too boring :o
For a welsh bastard :o
How boring must that be? :-?
Take the hint and either buck up or buck off and I don`t give a shit which you choose. You add nothing here, no offence :P
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
harry hackedoff

Heyup Shadders how`s fings mate :P Caught me at it you did :P :roll:
Imagine me implying you Welsh blokes are boring :oops: :roll:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Sonne

Post by Sonne »

jock wrote:
Sonne wrote:I have a quick question Jock; why do you post here?

Sonne
Wait one minute mate i am not slagging para,or any other regt.I copy etc,why it's NEW's and i give my opinon on the subject.You do your thing,i will do mine.The mods will tell me if i am right or wrong.With Respect. :lol:
Perhaps you need to read over your posts and re-evaluate your claims.

Now let me correct your grammar.

Wait one minute mate i am not slagging para, or any other regt. I copy news and i give my opinon on the subject. You do your thing and i will do mine. The mods will tell me if i am right or wrong. With respect.

A space should follow punctuation and the correct spelling is news and not new's. also if you are copying from an external source you should reference the source. If you have difficulty with that then use this website http://library.curtin.edu.au/referencing/harvard.html. There is a difference between doing something wrong and making pointless contributions. Those interested in the topics you bring up would most likely have already sought them out in the newspaper. Those who are not are unlikely to care. Of course the occasional reference to a political situation backed up with a link is perfectly acceptable but there seems to be one or two new articles posted by you daily.

Sonne
Noble and manly music invigorates the spirit, strengthens the wavering man, and incites him to great and worthy deeds - Homer
Doc

Post by Doc »

I was just ironing my pillow cases for this evenings mega sesh of bed linen changing, when startled at my increase in adrenaline I thought Id come online. Sadly, Ive seen all the pics that usually make me do that already, so I popped in 'ere for a skeg! :lol:

This Jock twat is really gripping my faeces in a non-bite sort of way. He's either lord of window lickers or an ex-ML :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hows Oz? Cold as fark I bet now, its warming up here, been racing round airfields all week screaming at people, sunburnt and smiley as a smiley thing at Jocks funeral so I am :lol: :lol:

...and Im saying mega far too much these days, the greenies fault!
Doc

Post by Doc »

Oi! Sonne who said you could jump in??!! :evil: Farking blokes these days!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Capital Eyes aswell mate, quick before the haggis molester spots it and submits some gay post with smileys galore!! :evil: :lol:
harry hackedoff

Switch to other means :wink:
I`m gone, Hackedoff out.
jock

Post by jock »

Doc wrote:
Ok then.......

Your wrong!

Clear?
Ye thats clear doc.
I am not a window licker either :whistle:
jock

Post by jock »

Doc wrote:Oi! Sonne who said you could jump in??!! :evil: Farking blokes these days!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Capital Eyes aswell mate, quick before the haggis molester spots it and submits some gay post with smileys galore!! :evil: :lol:
Ye never thought of that one,mabye you could find some :evil:
jock

Post by jock »

Doc wrote:
Ok then.......

Your wrong!

Clear?
Roger that boss ! :roll: