Share This Page:

Nelson Mandela statue in westminster square

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
going grey!

Nelson Mandela statue in westminster square

Post by going grey! »

I read this week(daily mail) that the final go ahead has been given for a statue of Nelson Mandela to be erected in westminster square.

Your view's
Courage is knowing what not to fear.
myss

Post by myss »

Why not? Much much better than the nude of that lady without arms. Every time, I pass Traf. Sq., I've noticed that the majority of pigeons tend to flock on top or around her. Funny that.
SO19

Post by SO19 »

I don't think any of them two statues should be there, full stop.

It's sad, but when some children were asked which person (Nelsons Column) belonged to, they said Nelson Mandella! ffs!

If it really has to go up then the South African embassy should be the place. Why do we need a statue of a terrorist anyway?
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
going grey!

Post by going grey! »

I can think of a few better people to put there, queen mum,flemming,ellen mc carthur,darwin etc etc, what worries me is that in 20 yrs time will they put up a statue of jerry adams as a freedom fighter.

If they are looking for an important black leader, why not martin luther king, he did more for black human rights than anyone else and was paeceful.
Sonne

Post by Sonne »

Why put a black leader at all? I'm a black man but it doesn't seem particularly appropriate to me. Mostly because he was an American and Trafalgar square in my opinion should be a place to celebrate our British heroes.

Or failing that i wouldn't be adverse to a statue of Britannia herself. Keeping with the sovereignty and nautical theme...

Sonne
Noble and manly music invigorates the spirit, strengthens the wavering man, and incites him to great and worthy deeds - Homer
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

going grey! wrote: why not martin luther king,
Because he was a suspected murderer and womaniser maybe?
Known to be a supporter of the early version of the Black Panthers?

Oh...And one other thing,Please use the caps button when using peoples names.
I already had to correct one of your posts.
going grey!

Post by going grey! »

Will do Wholley. sorry. :D
Doc

Post by Doc »

I think a naked Pamela Anderson statue, open legged would do more good for the countrys morale than someone from another country whos still alive.......oh hang on........right Andersons got bigger tits, all in agreemment say "EYE!
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Who's in control here, the Government or another body?

Sonne you are spot on.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Tab

Post by Tab »

Now doubt it is to replace the one of that plump harmless woman that has been there for just over a year. This is on of our Red Kens idea of stirring the pot
Sonne

Post by Sonne »

Diversity, equal ops and multiculturalism. Can’t say i haven't used such things to my advantage in the past but there needs to be a limit. I feel national identy is being blurred and distorted to a dangerous level. This generation doesn't seem to be content with the assimilation and integration attitude my grandparents generation had when they came to the UK with the first wave of immigrants.

What we have now is a multipolar society. Each ethnic group lay claim to a territory and over time squeeze out the indigenous population and culture. Living in London and being a person considered an ethnic minority i see it daily. But personally i think it is very wrong. More should be done to curb this trend.

An excellent example of this was the young woman who took her school to court when they refused to allow her to wear full islamic dress instead of a school uniform. Initially she won her case but it was eventually overturned at appeal. But it makes you think, how far to the left the country has gone to even consider this a legal issue. I mean why the hell do they think school uniforms are mandatory! Not just to look pretty but to a) Eliminate prejudice due to peer pressure eg. Not coming into school each day in the latest fashion b) To maintain a level of solidatit and camaradery between pupils, c) Security (to recognise any person(s) who are not memebrs of the school, d) To keep the student in the state of mind that school is a place of learning. There are many more but i'm rambling.

Rant over.

Sonne
Noble and manly music invigorates the spirit, strengthens the wavering man, and incites him to great and worthy deeds - Homer
Artist

Post by Artist »

Spot on Sonne Owd son.

PC is not my cup of tea in any way shape or form. Why not a statue of Oliver Cromwell instead?

Artist
Tab

Post by Tab »

You already have a statue of Cromwell at the other end of Whitehall
Sprey

Post by Sprey »

Doc wrote:I think a naked Pamela Anderson statue, open legged would do more good for the countrys morale than someone from another country whos still alive.......oh hang on........right Andersons got bigger tits, all in agreemment say "EYE!

Just use the legs then. :oops:
[img]http://deephousepage.com/smilies/bangdesk.gif[/img]

I'm working on it !
myss

Post by myss »

Tab wrote:Now doubt it is to replace the one of that plump harmless woman that has been there for just over a year.
She's in Traf Sq, the new statute will be in Westminster Sq. Unfortunately, she seems to be going nowhere.

Sonne - agree with your previous comments. I was astounded that the case had got to court in the first place and had to be pushed so far for commonsense to prevail. The teachers and the clear majority of the parents of pupils backed the headmaster, and there were many steps of compromise that were laid for her (the girl) benefit. In fact, if my memory serves me correct, her family wasn't exactly 100% supporting her except for one brother was apparently the driving force - and I mean force as in 'pushing' - behind the girl where it seems a stern and good talking to the girl, pointing out some home truths, would avoid half of the unneccessary disruption to her own education and time as well as the court and LEA. What a waste.

Talking of waste and statutes, the Princess Diana Memorial thingy :roll: .... think they ought to sort that out before getting the builders in.