Share This Page:

Are We?

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
Mrs. Frank S.

Post by Mrs. Frank S. »

Shucks, I finally feel well enough to partake in this debate but our government has already started making decisions about a pull-out. Oh well. Next time....

Just so you know, I am NOT in favor of an immediate withdrawal. :)

Julie
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

We can't pull out.
As far as I see it - we went in on a "false premise" i.e. the existence of WMD's.
That proved to be false.
We have actually created a situation that was worse than the one that existed before the invasion.
And never forget that we "Invaded" without a real reason.
Morally, we cannot leave, until we can establish a government that is acceptable to ALL Iraquis.
That I feel is a long way off.
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
Mrs. Frank S.

Post by Mrs. Frank S. »

Sneaky, I agree with you for the most part. However, I wonder just how much our presence there fueling the insurgency. A complete and abrupt pullout would NOT be the answer, but I don't think keeping our troop levels this high is good either.

No matter how you look at it, it's an ugly situation with no sure fire answers.

Julie
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

Don't forget our man in Baghdad....

He's had an interesting career, especially in the '80s in Nicaragua and Honduras...
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB151/

Possible shape of things to come.
Damolee

Post by Damolee »

Alot of the current backlash and Insurgency has been pinned on the survivors left to writh after the first Gulf War.

It's all good me sat here in the warm and friendly, but I just don't see what leaving now would achieve.

You can see what backlash there was from the Muslim Community from some cartoon drawings, I was under the impression that was solely down to the Media publications till you found them burning down Churches and such.
There's alot of pent up hatred there....

I witnessed in horror the otherday as our very own Muslim Community were holding banners with remarks such as "Kill The Europeans" ...."Freedom Goto Hell" and such.

We leave, then I give it less than 12 months before the terrorist attacks begin and we witness riots or such similar to that of what happened in France not long ago.

I have family who are serving, have served in Iraq and I fully support them, I want them home safely but to give an objective opinion.
We pull out now, I can't imagine the consequences.