Share This Page:

Sergeant Matthew Telford, First Battalion Grenadier Guards

Book of Condolences & Obituaries - Express your sympathy, lest we forget.
tom163

Sergeant Matthew Telford, First Battalion Grenadier Guards

Post by tom163 »

The soldiers were part of a mixed team of soldiers from the 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards and the Royal Military Police. Corporal Steven Boote and Corporal Nicholas Webster-Smith, both of the Royal Military Police, were also killed in the attack.

Sergeant Matt Telford was temporarily employed as a mentor to the Afghan National Police (ANP). As the Regimental Police Sergeant he was perfectly placed to work with such a team drawn from soldiers of the 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards and the Royal Military Police. The team had been tasked with mentoring a number of ANP at a Check Point.

The Grenadier Guards Battle Group had identified the need for increased mentoring of the Afghan National Police within its area of operations. Sergeant Telford was part of a 16 man team who were sent to a Police Check Point of vital importance as it provided protection to the bazaar area of Nad-e'Ali where the Battle Group Forward Operating Base was located.

Sergeant Telford was born in Grimsby on 10th October 1972. He passed out of the Guards Depot in February 1991 and was immediately posted to the 2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards.

On amalgamation between the First and Second Battalions in 1993, Sergeant Telford was transferred to the 1st Battalion where he served until 2004. In 2004 he was posted to Nijmegen Company Grenadier Guards where he served for two years before being detached as a Regimental Recruiter.

In early 2009 he returned to the Battalion as the Regimental Police Sergeant.

Sergeant Telford leaves behind his beloved wife Kerry and two sons, Harry and Callum.

Sergeant Telford's size, stature and presence were entirely in line with what you would expect of a Regimental Police Sergeant. However, what you found behind the mountain of a man was a thoughtful and caring family man who would work tirelessly all hours of the day to help someone out. He was professional and meticulous in everything that he did.

Sergeant Telford was a fantastically popular individual across the Battalion. He was a definite Battalion character and it was a pleasure for all his colleagues to have him back serving with the Regiment.

Sergeant Telford's family said:

"Matt was a larger than life character – a gentle giant of a man. He will be sadly missed by his wife Kerry and sons Harry and Callum, his extensive family and friends and his colleagues."
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Rest Easy.
Paddysprat

Post by Paddysprat »

RIP soldier, never forgotten.
'Paddysprat' a phrase used when explaining the origins of an 'Army Brats' accent.
Best Drummer

Re: Sergeant Matthew Telford, First Battalion Grenadier Guar

Post by Best Drummer »

Whilst I didn't know Matthew personally, the 1st Bn Sgt's Mess was the link between us, also that of course, of all other Sgts' Mess members.

Isn't it ironic that just because Matthew had not served in his rank for 12 months, and therefore had not been made substantive only receiving a Corporal's wage, his family can only receive a Corporal's pension.

This is so wrong and in order to try and put it right, anyone who reads this must assist - go to this link PLEASE!

[size=150][b]http://soldiers-pensions.c ... /b][/size]
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Unhappily I cannot sign this due to citizenship but I urge you all to do so.

http://soldiers-pensions.co.uk/?q=petition

That should send you straight to it without all the nasty typing.
DanPalmer1992

Post by DanPalmer1992 »

Rest in peace, a big loss to the family and regiment. My condolences also go out to his wife and children.
1st Choice: Parachute Regiment BARB: Passed 58 Medical Clearence: Passed 1 Day Pre Selection Tests: Passed (1.5Mile - 8mins 50 seconds) 1st Interview: Passed 2nd Interview: Passed ADSC: Passed PRAC: Passed ITC Catterick PARA Depot: November 18th 2012!!
    swera

Post by swera »

Take some photo's and set up a display board. I don't know where you live but if you ask in one of your local supermarkets if you can have a collection for this you can find them very helpful. You may need insurance and a collection licence for the day which you can get for nothing. We have just finished collection in a shopping centre and in few hours picked up £800.00. When the graves are restored they should have a service of dedication so find your local vicar and find out if you have one of them in the area who acts as a military Chaplin to the local associations. Fund raising is the easiest thing around. The write to the countries and ask them to send a representative to it. Use the press and TV for publicity, write to your local paper and get them to cover the story. Look up were these people lived on the CWG site and look up the local papers in those places and tell them what you are doing and send them some photo's. This is all basic stuff, now don't say it can't be done it can and as you can see I got every one to attend and my rank in the Army bwas that of a private. I got people to build the stands for nothing provide the chairs and carpeting for nothing and I got huge discount for the reception as the duchess was attending.