Share This Page:

WO2 F E NOLAN PO21585N 19 May 1945 - 8 July 2003

Book of Condolences & Obituaries - Express your sympathy, lest we forget.
Gibbo

WO2 F E NOLAN PO21585N 19 May 1945 - 8 July 2003

Post by Gibbo »

WO2 F E Nolan PO21585N
19 May 1945 - 8 July 2003
Fred was born in Sunderland in County Durham. He worked as a Clerical Assistant for the tax office joining the Corps on the 24th July 1962 at the RM depot Deal. On completion of training he was drafted to 43 Cdo RM as a young marine. He then completed a tour with 40 Cdo returning in due course to 43Cdo RM from there he went to HMS Tiger completed his JCC and went to Deal to become a PTI.
Following a spell at CTCRM as a Cpl, he served in 41 Cdo RM, CTCRM, returning to 41 Cdo RM, and then to 40 Cdo RM where he was promoted to Sgt.
In 1972 he was sent to Deal and fed on a diet of Mars Bars and milk he became a PT1 returning to 40 Cdo RM to practice his art of “on your head bounce” and “round the world go and back again” catching up trips to NI or Norway along the way
From there he became a Staff PTI at HMS Temeraire where he made many friends, practicing on Her Majesties Jolly’s. He then returned to Deal where he consumed more Mars Bars while working at a “Proper Job” for a PTI. In Sept 1977 he returned unbroken to Cdo Log as a C/SGT being promoted to WO2 .
While heading South with 40 Cdo he was seen on TV teaching the units embarked on the Canberra how to dance with rifles so they could sort out the Argies in the Two-Step Stanley Shuffle. Having retaken the Falklands he ended up in Poole and CTCRM.
During his time in the Corps he found time to get married to Sandra, become a father of Claire and James being promoted to the rank of Granddad to Lauren and Alice. A family he was truly and justifiably proud off. They were a great comfort to him when Sandra died.
During 28 years of marriage Fred was a great source of comfort and love to Sandra especially during her illness until she died on 12 Feb 1996.
Just when Fred found love again, his partner Kay died suddenly on 24 March 2000. Facing such personal sadness, Fred still fought his own disease plus the loneliness with heroic strength and determination never once asking “why me?” His brother Jim, his Family and Fred’s Mum were the other members of his family who helped him through his pain
Fred joined the prison service and became a freemason, he was a founder member of the Royal Marine Plymouth Lodge and when in 2001 he was told he had Cancer, like a true Royal Marine he fought it until the end and in this last battle Fred never gave up
He was simply overcome by a superior force and never left his post, a True Royal Marine - He was overwhelmed on the 8 July 2003 in St Luke’s Hospice.
Fred was given a fitting send off by his family and many friends on the 16th of July at Efford Crematorium. His friends, among them many former Royal Marines and Prison Officers lined the route to the Chapel of rest. John Beddows a former Royal Marine Bandsman played the Last Post and after the service we left to the strains of Elvis singing one of Fred’s favourites.
We feel sad at the loss of Fred he was in great pain in those last few months; he found the strength to make you feel at ease when ever you visited him. A kind and generous family man who leaves his mark on this world.

dodgyoptic@aol.com sandy Macleod BEM MSM
Bootneck1@hotmail.com - Gibbo
Gibbo - Ex Sigs
Former WM of RMPL9528
Madmick

Post by Madmick »

Sorry to hear of Freds death,served with him in 40 cdo Burma camp and in Borneo.I passed on the sad news to an old mate of his, Clancy Lowe and we both offer our condolences to his family
RIP FRED
Jim Lewis
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Condolences to his family.

Well done on a great obit, Gibbo.
shorty1

Post by shorty1 »

Sorry to hear of Fred's death. He was my Sgt major in A coy 40 cdo.I can still see him now giving us an almighty rollicking at Seaton bks, after we took some very young officers on a boat trip down the Tamar and we had upset some matloes on a sub.
my heart goes out to his family he will greatly missed.

Shorty.
Wal Brown

Post by Wal Brown »

Saddened by the news of Freds death, we were good mates during training even though he pinched my bird at Deal, then againhe could pull anywhere.
Always had a smile and a joke to play on you just sorry we lost contact in later years when we were always a unit behind each other.
Sleep well mate and save me a corner bed.
Wal
Wallybee
pastitpronto

Post by pastitpronto »

Been off the air for a litttle while and just read Fred,s Obituary..and one that does him credit. Served with him many times over the years, memories come flooding back. Some great laughs, fantastic runs ashore and scary episodes too many to mention. Another sad loss but he lived life to the full. Rest in peace old Son. Jimmy Millin
Ken Henderson

Re: WO2 F E NOLAN PO21585N 19 May 1945 - 8 July 2003

Post by Ken Henderson »

It has taken a while but I finally found him.
Fred was my best friend many years ago when we were at Thorney Close Junior school.
We knew each off and on up to about aged 21, I was at Art College and he was training to be a Royal Marine.
Idid visit him in Deal one time I was working on a travelling fair in my summer holidays. The duty officer at the gate loved my Levi jacket and french cigarettes.
I was so sad to find this obituary and realise that we would never get to chat again. On reading it I realise he had an amazing life and influenced many people.
I am truly happy to know that for an all too brief period we had a friendship that I will never forget. My kindest regards go out to his surviving family members...you don't need me to tell what a special person he was. Jim,his brother might remember me our houses were next to each other, yours on Thackeray and mine on Tunbridge Road.
Rest in peace Fred. Ken Henderson