Share This Page:

James Thompson

Book of Condolences & Obituaries - Express your sympathy, lest we forget.
SO19

James Thompson

Post by SO19 »

James Thompson killed in Afghanistan on 19 May
A Military Operations news article

30 May 08

It is with deep sadness that the Ministry of Defence has confirmed the death of James Thompson in Afghanistan on 19 May 2008.

He was patrolling on foot as part of operations in the Musa Qaleh area when he was caught in an explosion and tragically lost his life.

His family have released the following tribute to him:

"James Thompson was a loving son, brother and friend to many. His tragic and untimely death has devastated the family and touched all those who knew him. James was proud to be a soldier – he died doing the job that he loved and will be sadly missed by all.”

His Commanding Officer said:

"James Thompson was a special individual. A professional and reliable soldier in every respect - we were all privileged to serve alongside James who excelled in all that he did.

"His death has come as a great shock and he will be sadly missed by all his colleagues. Our thoughts are of course with his family, at this most difficult time."

The family request that they be allowed to grieve in peace and privacy at this time.
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Defen ... n19May.htm
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
SO19

Post by SO19 »

My sincere condolences to all of James' family & friends.

Rest Easy James mate.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

Tragic loss!

Rest easy mate!
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Yeah R.I.P, what a waste.
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

Well done James - Rest well.

My condolences to his family.....
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
SO19

Post by SO19 »

It's intentional.
df2inaus

James Thompson RIP

Post by df2inaus »

I worked James in the TA for a year in 2001-02. James was a very nice, intelligent young man with a great sense of humour and even better sense of discipline. We were never close friends, but a few little things he did just stand out and I feel I must mention them.

Please, if any of the veterans feel its inappropriate to go into details like this let me know and I'll edit or delete this post.

When I found out James was taking time out from his civilian job in IT to go to Afghanistan last year I was a bit surprised. Turns out he'd been training to get into an elite unit at our TA Centre for some time. On training weekends in Darlington he was one of the only people who would go running with me at night. Never had the slightest idea what his plans were, I thought he just wanted to keep fit.

James was seven years younger than me and taught me a few things. Being the pragmatic Canadian that I am, I once ordered a half pint in the mess when a taxi was waiting because I couldn't sink a full one in time. He quickly grabbed the glass and dumped it into an empty regular pint glass and walked away without explaining, it took me a while to realise why he'd done it. I remember another night when I was dropping him off, he invited me out in Leeds with his friends from uni to a student bar. I thought I was too old and politely declined, then realized afterward not many university aged people would have asked an older working person to come out with them.

When I was at Sandhurst having a tough time, I got a text from James out of nowhere asking me if they'd turned me into a toff. Well-needed comic relief.

In true 2000's form, tributes are beginning to appear on his facebook wall. I'm sure he truly enjoyed was enjoying what he was doing and I hope his death was instantaneous.
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman
Sully

Post by Sully »

Not inappropriate at all mate - thanks for sharing your thoughts and may I offer my deepest condolences to you in addition to his family and other oppo's.
Per Flank, Per Tank
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

Seconded. Sorry for the loss of your friend, Dave!
Holger Danske

Post by Holger Danske »

Rest in Peace, soldier... :(
"Sir! We are surrounded! - Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"