Share This Page:

Military Gaol/ Colchester

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
Boxingmad

Military Gaol/ Colchester

Post by Boxingmad »

Is the military prison still in Colchester? When you do your time, is it basically just being beasted as in early recruit training?

How long do you get for minor misdemenours, like fighting for example?

What's the longest one stays there?
Maroon

Post by Maroon »

Boxing Mad, why do you need to know, are you in trouble? :o

It's just the same a s civilain prison but run by Military screw's so you do drill and Military courses instead of wondering round the exercise yard and so on, I had a mate who did a couple of yrs there and he came out a far more qualified Soldier than me after 2 yrs and he was up for promotion not long after....

8)
"Every man an Emperor!"
stever

Post by stever »

there was a series on tv recently

it may get repeated on uk horizons

ive had a few mates vist colchester

never done them any harm

in fact in some cases it kick started careers
"Once a Rockape Always a Rockape"
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9038/camsig0qi.jpg[/img][/url]
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

:) Oh no, not at all! In fact it leads onto another question I have. I'm joining the TA next month, and I assume that as we come under military law, if we commit an offence, we could be paying a visit.

Remember: knowledge is power, unless you forget it.
Maroon

Post by Maroon »

It's not something I'd recomend mind.... :-?

And to answer BM question, you only get time at Colchester for major offences as your CO can slam you in Regimental Nick for up to 28 days and you don't get paid whilst in nick and your time served is put on hold 8)
"Every man an Emperor!"
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

If you were in the TA and commited a civilian offence, and the civvy police arrested you, they wouldn't hand you over to MP's, you would be punished by the civvy authorities.
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

What I'm getting at is if the offence is commited whilst on duty.
Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

Then you'll probably be beasted at best, or put into the regimental nick at worst. As far as I know, the "glasshouse" is for more serious offences, like going AWOL for example. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know if its the same for TA as it is regular?
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
Maroon

Post by Maroon »

If you commited a civil offence=Civvy deal with it, Military offence = Military deal with it...

Even regulars have to face the music with the civil law, I was arrested whilst home on leave from NI for scrapping and dealt with by a civvy court, then back to battalion to face the CO and bringing the Army/Regiment in to disrepute 8)
"Every man an Emperor!"

Post by Guest »

I spent a couple of years based at Roman Barracks in Colchester which is within earshot of MCTC. (we used to hear their drill instructors giving words of command!)

When I was in the shooting team we sometimes shared a range with the MCTC staff. Quite a scary bunch!

"Well done lads, you've got the radio". :)
adj125

Post by adj125 »

I spent 24 days in colchester (4 days off sentence for being a good boy) back in 91. A normal day consists of lessons of either a military subject or physical training. You have 2 inspections of yourself and your bedspace one in the morning after breakfast the other after lunch. There are 8 men in a room with its own abloutions. The weekends are spent mainly staying in your room hoping to be picked to do a litter patrol.You have to go to church on sundays as well. I was paid £2.80 per week to get all my toiletries and cleaning kit for the week and any money left over went on tobacco(for bartering) I was really worried on my way there but to be honest it wasnt that bad my basic training was alot harder
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
chrisfow

Post by chrisfow »

My old RSM spent time in Colchester, he always said that it did his drill the world of good! Also, since he ended up an RSM and had some pretty plum jobs so the whole "kickstart your career" thing must be true in at least some cases. Still probably not as good/enjoyable as going on proper courses tho :lol:
Staffords all the way :D