Share This Page:

U.S. Army

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
tgace

Post by tgace »

Boy you Brits think a lot of yourselves, and we Americans are labled as arrogant? ;)

Just kidding guys. I served long enough in uniform to know that if a military unit dosent think they are the best on the globe, then they have a morale problem.

As to "foreigners" serving...I served with a few Canadians in the Army so yes it is possible.
Col.Parsons

Post by Col.Parsons »

The problem with the British Army is... it's not the British Army's problem! :x

The problem lays with the crappy MoD and the useless budget that the Chancellor of the Exchequer seems to think is a good way of spending our well earned money!

The lack of kit is borne straight out of this lack in funding - they've even said that the MoD is to recieve less and less money in the future :-?

However, they're now considering these "IEP" thingies - Individual Equipement Packets. These will contain all the equipment a soldier will need for one month. Problem is - they don't know how many of what sizes of stuff to put together (as always).

Si :roll:
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Day Tripper, a USMC mate informs me that there's a couple of guys in his unit who don't even have Green Cards.

And if I remember correctly if you do have a Green Card and serve out your first enlistment (four years) then you can apply for citizenship. I'm not 100% sure though.

I can understand you wanted to head over to the colonies. The guys I know there have a great lifestyle outside of work. Makes me right jealous. :D
- Cobalt

"It's always funny until someone gets hurt - then it's hilarious"
Edwards159

Post by Edwards159 »

I dont understand why you would want to join the US Army,

A Para was telling me that they have 'All the gear, No idea'.

He said he's had some funny experiences with them though on like exchange exercises where they go over to the US and the Americans come over to Britain.

I asked him what was there fitness like, he said that it was pretty shite, there PT involved getting up at 5am and running around with a flag singing songs and making grunting noises. And they are not like proper running just jogging. He said when they came over to Britain they took them on a few Tabs and they just jacked. Then on a Escape and Evasion exercise they just gave up because it was 'too cold'. Then when the paras went over to America with the 101st they were told by a American that instead of saying ‘sir’ or whatever they had to say ‘whooa’ and the paras started pissing themselves.

I don’t know how much of this is true, but from i see the Brits tell it how it is.
Utrinque Paratus
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

I too heard that they don't tab/yomp and only run without weight. I also heard that they concentrate a lot on upper body, so they're all muscular but unfit compared to our troops. However, I never brought this up before as I don't know how true it is. To get a better picture, I'd ask one of the Americans on this forum who have served.
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
Edwards159

Post by Edwards159 »

With all the gear they have got they dont need to run anywhere.
Utrinque Paratus
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

Tankies don't need to run anywhere in our Army. Neither do the RLC but they still tab in training. It's the "just in case" factor.
What we've heard about the Americans may be bulls**t anyway.
day tripper

Post by day tripper »

If you ask any british para whos the best its fairly obvious what they will say.

I believe before anyone jumps to conclusions about the ability/standards of a foreign force, they should study that force rather than hearsay.

As for when a co salutes troops, the response is whooo haaaa. Which means acknowledged. Its just a tradition, as we have ours.
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning, smells like victory...

Post by Guest »

I was a PJ in the USAF for 9 years, we had to run with weight, tab etc etc.

I joined 4 Para in 2001 and did P-Coy etc, it was tough, but no harder than PJ school. to be honest probably easier.

I'm now doing the PSC course for the HAC, dont believe all you hear about the yanks, alot of it is different unit boasting and exageration.

But the UK does rely more on fitness in the field, i.e tabbing yomping etc, but you do it because you have to, to get where you need to be, the yanks get dropped off, so to speak, much closer to the final objective, because they have the air assets to do so the uk does not.

hope this helps

Johnny
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

I always thought what I heard about the US army sounded a bit iffy. I mean, what kind of an Army doesn't train ther soldiers to cover distances with weight?
Cheers for clearing that up
Seven

Post by Seven »

I too heard that they don't tab/yomp and only run without weight. I also heard that they concentrate a lot on upper body, so they're all muscular but unfit compared to our troops. However, I never brought this up before as I don't know how true it is
Yeah, I read the same somewhere. A Dutch SF instructor apparantly said "SEAL" stands for:"Sleep, Eat And Lift". But I suppose that also has something to do with the American way of life, and not necessarily with the way they train the armed forces. Also their forces are a lot bigger than European forces, so they can't afford to be picky.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
tgace

Post by tgace »

In the US Army, soldiers physically fit to APFT standards are expected to carry loads at a 25 min/mile pace as a minimum, many individual units have their own standards ( 15< min/mile pace) The US Army manual FM 21-18 (section 5-11) gives guidance on proper physical training programs for march conditioning, and states that “after a 30-day preparatory training period, soldiers can march 12 miles in less than 3 hours loaded to about 60 pounds." Thats whats written.....
dazzaw23

Post by dazzaw23 »

as was raised before, why would a british national want to join a foreign army which, although they are bigger, seem to be less trained and are stereotypically deaf before they are 30 with all the shouting that their SNCO's do, thats just sad and i would class it as desertion from the crown :fist:
WhO dArEs CoUlD wIn BuT tHeY cOuLd LoSe AsWeLl
longrifle

Post by longrifle »

dazzaw23 wrote:as was raised before, why would a british national want to join a foreign army
I don't blame anyone for believing in their own country and their own country's military. Loyalty is important.

I will say one thing though. If the young man is a para and wants to make a combat (or operational) jump the U.S. can usually be counted on to employ that insertion tactic more often than most.

I think the propensity of the U.S. to jump, even when not operationally necessary, stems from the Grenada operation in 1983. They tried to jump an element "just" big enough to secure the airfield and then start airlanding. The airfield turned into a cluster.

The Panama operation went A LOT smoother. The U.S. jumped three Ranger battalions and a brigade combat team from the 82nd Airborne before starting to airland follow on forces. It allowed for a rapid build up of combat power.

Anyway, I went off topic. Unless someone wants to change citizenship stay with your own military.
tonyh762

Post by tonyh762 »

To join the US military (USMC included) you MUST have a green card!

If you serve for 12 mths on active duty (full time) you are eligible for US citizenship.

This is the final word, I know this, im not guessing.
who cares who wins