Share This Page:

Royal Marines or parachute regiment?

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
Bruh46

Royal Marines or parachute regiment?

Post by Bruh46 »

Hi
I'm planing on joining the military as an officer as soon as I can but I can't choose between the parachute regiment or the Royal Marines. I've learnt as much as I can but I'm still unclear on some things so I have a few questions I hope someone can answer:
Is the pay the same?
I'm unclear on if I need a degree to join either directly, so do I?
What perks does each regiment have?
What exactly is the role of each regiment in recent years?
As unlikely as it sounds I want to join one of the SF regiments so what I are the differences between the SAS and the SBS?
How would you recommend I prepare for each?
And finally of you were in my position what would you join and why?
Replies from all servicemen, especially those who have served in either the para's or marines would be invaluable.
Cheers all
Zero_Higher

Re: Royal Marines or parachute regiment?

Post by Zero_Higher »

Bruh,

Welcome to the forums. That's quite a mix mash of questions and I am sure we have some in our memberlist that may be able to give you first hand knowledge of both excellent but distinctly different units.

I have worked with both Para's and Bootnecks. Infact I have patrolled with 45 cdo on tour during our handover.

Ok, As soon as you join the Royal Naval College or Commando Training Centre Royal Marines you'll earn £24,971 and I believe the pay scale is the same for Army officers. Pay of course increases with time served. This is something that an AFCO will be able to help you with, as they will have up to date pay figures.

According to the careers website the minimum qualifications Royal wants for officer cadets is 180 UCAS points (including 2 non-overlapping subject areas). Each subject must be allocated at least 45 UCAS points. Five GCSEs (A* to C) or Scottish Standard Grades or equivalent, which must include English Language and Maths.

For Army officers it is 7 GCSE subjects, with a minimum grade C/2 in English language, maths and either a science or a foreign language; plus 240 UCAS Tariff points from at least two A level passes. Again this is taken from the careers web page.

To be an officer, despite the jokes/slagging, is an enormous responsibility for which you’ll need the full trust of those you command. Particularly in an Infantry role. When I was on tour we patrolled daily from our small CP and our multiple commander was a captain. Excuse the cliche but he really did get stuck in.

It is a role that takes maturity and strength of character. Which is why I urge you to seek further information from your local AFCO and focus on this first.

Although it is great to have ambition, UKSF is a little further down the path for you at this stage. At the heart of UKSF is physically and mentally robust men who have the confidence and military skills to operate within that unique environment. It is no secret that those with infanteer backgrounds can posses the qualities and potential for UKSF service, however it is no guarantee. There are many from Corps/support arm backgrounds who have passed selection.

During one UKSF selection presentation I attended whilst still in, the speaker was serving in 22 and came from a R Signals unit. 22 run a pre selection course for non infantry soldiers in order to assess and instruct on "green skills". It really is an individual circumstance. If you want something bad enough and meet the criteria it matters not what Regt you joined.

One step at a time, becoming an officer with Para Reg or RM is no easy thing.

Best,

Zero.
A determined person doesn't find it hard to succeed; they find it hard to stop trying
timex

Post by timex »

Bruh, I'll answer as best I can but been out for 7 yrs...

I'm unclear on if I need a degree to join either directly, so do I?

In the RM having a degree means you start a rank higher than non grads (Officer).

What exactly is the role of each regiment in recent years?

Para regt have like all Inf roled units been heavilly involved in combat Ops all over the place, 1 Para provide second tier support to SF.

RM have been similarilly deployed and also provide support to SF, however the biggest difference between the 2 are the variety of trades/jobs available in the RM. As a YO you could become Sigs/Heavy Weapons/Mountain Leader/Pilot (both Fixed wing andRotary/Landing craft/Intelligence/ or as you mentioned SF.

As unlikely as it sounds I want to join one of the SF regiments so what I are the differences between the SAS and the SBS?

Very few differences within the SBS and SAS now as they are more joint than before (same selection course and training to a certain level, however the SBS do/did tend to concentrate on Maritime as you would expect.
Also you can now choose which branch of SF you want to go into SAS SBS or SRR irrespective of which service you are with.

How would you recommend I prepare for each?

Concentrate on gaining a commision first, certainly after the Commando course or Para trg you may not even want to go SF..

And finally of you were in my position what would you join and why?

As an ex RM I would go down the RM route without hesitation, to back this up I also spent a long time working with tri service Units so have seen them all at work. I have a great deal of time for Para Regt but they are not keen on people going elsewhere..

Whatever you do, Good luck..
Tab

Post by Tab »

This same question is posted on a lot of other military sites
Bruh46

Post by Bruh46 »

Timex and Zero_High thanks for both your replays they're really helpful, and tab I only posted this question on one other site I thought it best to ask as many different people as possible, get all the opinions I could.