Share This Page:

Farrier Major

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
ShaunFerguson

Farrier Major

Post by ShaunFerguson »

In researching a friend's family tree I have come across the rank of Farrier Major - was this an officer rank in the British (Indian) Army?
The unit concerned is the 3rd Madras Light Cavalry, which later became 7th cavalry in the Indian Army after Independence.,
Tab

Re: Farrier Major

Post by Tab »

Try Ancestry.com. If you pay for just one month which will be around £10,00 you can trawl through all the military records and medal cards. Still make sure they know you only want it for one month or they will keep charging you.
ShaunFerguson

Post by ShaunFerguson »

Tab wrote:Try Ancestry.com.
I am using Ancestry.co.uk - but I expected someone on this Military Forum would know about British Army ranks.
Tab

Post by Tab »

A Farrier Major would be like a Quartermaster but for supplying the cavalry
ShaunFerguson

Post by ShaunFerguson »

Tab wrote:A Farrier Major would be like a Quartermaster but for supplying the cavalry
OK - but is it an officer rank?
Tab

Post by Tab »

The way the rank is phrased I would say yes
ShaunFerguson

Post by ShaunFerguson »

Thank you.
Iain2

Post by Iain2 »

ShaunFerguson wrote:In researching a friend's family tree I have come across the rank of Farrier Major - was this an officer rank in the British (Indian) Army?
The unit concerned is the 3rd Madras Light Cavalry, which later became 7th cavalry in the Indian Army after Independence.,

Hi Shaun..., I'm also on Ancestry but I think you'll get a better reply here :
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=300.0

Good Luck..., Iain.
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3994/scotsguards.jpg

Note : I think Ancestry is free if you go to your local library ! So I've heard !
ShaunFerguson

Post by ShaunFerguson »

Thanks Iain,
Shaun
Alister

Post by Alister »

I also have an ancestor, Henry Couzens, who was a farrier with the 3rd Madras Light Cavalry, in the 1820's and 30's, based in Arcot. Did you uncover any more detail about your Farrier Major?

The following book may be of interest, as it defines the number of officers, men, farriers etc in different years within each of the Madras cavalry regiments: Historical Record of the Fourth "Prince of Wales' Own" Regiment, Madras Light Cavalry (Google eBook), William John Wilson, C. Foster at the Foster Press, 1877
ShaunFerguson

Post by ShaunFerguson »

Alister wrote:I also have an ancestor, Henry Couzens, who was a farrier with the 3rd Madras Light Cavalry, in the 1820's and 30's, based in Arcot. Did you uncover any more detail about your Farrier Major?

The following book may be of interest, as it defines the number of officers, men, farriers etc in different years within each of the Madras cavalry regiments: Historical Record of the Fourth "Prince of Wales' Own" Regiment, Madras Light Cavalry (Google eBook), William John Wilson, C. Foster at the Foster Press, 1877
Thank you. It is clear from the text that a Farrier Major was not an officer rank - which is what I wished to determine. There's another book, ("We Lead" a history of the 7th. Light Cavalry 1784 - 1990) which covers thr history of the 3rd Madras (later 7th) - but which costs about £40 - too expensive for me at the moment!