Share This Page:

Racism worry

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
patrykbic

Racism worry

Post by patrykbic »

I'm joining the BA soon. I got a british dual citizenship. But im originally Polish, i've got a polish accent and polish habbits. I'm worried that I'll be teased and discriminated against by other soldiers. Would this happen or am I just being paranoid?
Tab

Re: Racism worry

Post by Tab »

Every one has the rise taken out of them, the Welsh are Taffies, then you have the Jocks and many of the counties or major cities have nick names for the people that come from them. Just laugh along with it and it will die right down, try to fight it and knowing it winds you up then it comes a problem. Every one often picks up a nickname in the forces and my one was Tab and it has stuck to me for 50 odd years.
ofens

Post by ofens »

Some of the people you'll be training with will have a lot worse than "Polish habits" !
All kinds of bullying are massively frowned upon you will be looked after - but all must be robust and able to take neat sh*t.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
mike.dt

Post by mike.dt »

You shouldn't come across any bullying in the forces mate, everyone's in the same boat. The type of idiots that bully people will fail the basic training course. Expect plenty of friendly banter though, you might pick up a nickname or two, but everyone knows where the line is between a bit of fun and bullying.

Good luck mate!
Warfare Not Welfare
(Body Armour not Benefits)
mike.dt

Post by mike.dt »

This has actually reminded me of something that happened during my basic training. An Indian guy in my section was being bullied by a cocky, racist idiot from London that thought he was hard as nails. On our 2nd exercise the bully thought it would be funny to hit the Indian guy over the head with his rifle's magazine whilst calling him racist names. His main objective was to force the Indian chap to leave the army. A friend and I reported this to our Cpl (also revealing the weeks of bullying prior to that) and he said he would talk to the Indian guy about it. That was the last we heard of it until a few days later when our Cpl tore into our section room straight over to the bully, and pushed him over his bedstead onto the floor, ripped all of his drawers out and emptied them on the floor at his feet revealing several knives that he'd bought. The Cpl tore him a new arse hole, screaming in his face, calling him every name under the sun, whilst the rest of us stood to attention like a bunch of shocked meerkats. The bully was then made to spend the rest of the day picking up conkers around the camp whilst all of his stuff was removed from the block. He spent his last day of his army career in the guardroom before being discharged (UFAS- Unfit For Army Service) meaning he'll never be able to work in any civil service job ever again, or as our cpl put it "McDonalds won't even want him."

Thats what happens to bullies in the Army.
Warfare Not Welfare
Firstmate

Post by Firstmate »

mike.dt wrote:You shouldn't come across any bullying in the forces mate, everyone's in the same boat. The type of idiots that bully people will fail the basic training course. Expect plenty of friendly banter though, you might pick up a nickname or two, but everyone knows where the line is between a bit of fun and bullying. Good luck mate!
No they don't....
Yer tiz
mike.dt

Post by mike.dt »

Firstmate wrote:
mike.dt wrote:You shouldn't come across any bullying in the forces mate, everyone's in the same boat. The type of idiots that bully people will fail the basic training course. Expect plenty of friendly banter though, you might pick up a nickname or two, but everyone knows where the line is between a bit of fun and bullying. Good luck mate!
No they don't....
Trying to be a bit positive. Perhaps not everyone, but the vast majority of intelligent people do. This is an old thread anyway, I posted here by mistake. Thanks for your input though, however negative.
Warfare Not Welfare
nightmare80

Post by nightmare80 »

Play along with it, even take the piss out of yourself. Just don't sulk about it or bite.