Share This Page:

Being Deployed Hopefully some insights

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
MSI64

Being Deployed Hopefully some insights

Post by MSI64 »

Part one
So it came in today. Sat in my workflow on JPA was the confirmation I was waiting for, As of May next year I am attached to my new Unit for my tour to Afghan.
Couple of good things come with this.

1 Acting Rank
2 More Pay

So all Im waiting for so far is my joining Instructions and more info on courses and Pre deployment training.
So, May seems a long way off at the moment but I know it comes round quick.
Couple of things to be down in the run up to Christmas, my passport runs out in 2012 so need to get that extended.
(Some of the paperwork can be done online and they send you the paperwork for you to fill out the rest)
Point to note on this, You have to pay for it up front and then claim it back on JPA. However the Army will only pay for the standard service and not Express, so check your passports and make sure you have more than 12 months left on it.

This is my sixth tour in my career. however this is only my second tour since being married six years ago. As a singly its pretty easy pack your room and get on the plane.
As a married man ther is a little more to think about. Take some time to look at where your going and what job your going to do. Regimental tours are easy however being an IA Individual Augmentee its a different ball game.
But here are my first thoughts.
Things going through my head
Will needs a rewrite.
(Your Clerk will have this but its always good to look at a rewrite as your life moves on)
Look at your Life Insurance.
(The Army will payout if you die, but its not a masive amount)
Set time to go see my parents and family.

Now the good bit

Start window shopping for some cool kit so far am looking at

Portable solar panels
Helmet Cam
Will write more when I get more info hope the first post has given you ideas of what to look for

Cheers MSI64
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
MSI64

Re: Being Deployed Hopefully some insights

Post by MSI64 »

Part Two

Well its nearly Christmas, this year is going to be a big one as Im away next year.

As you can imagine nothing much going on. I rang my new unit yesterday and had a quick chat with the Training Major there. As I have a lot of training Quals I have a feeling Im going to be doing a lot of teaching. Optag starts for me in May, before that I have a couple of things to get done

MATTs completed to level one which is standard, but now have to completed ACMT after March 1st so I am current for my whole tour. Also need to do Pistol ACMT on the Browning and have the 8hr Conversion to the Sig.
(This is my first tour with a pistol on my hip)
Bit of a run around with my Kit too. My Unit wont issue it and my gaining unit believes that they should. After a dozen calls and running round the house it finally sorts its self out.
Had my Life Insurance looked at yesterday too. The Missus will be a quarter of a million quid richer if I croak it. (Had to check the print to make sure she cant bump me off for the cash though)
Now the strange part. My losing Unit has to organize a welfare visit for my wife before I go
Its normally the OCs job to do it but my wife will be in the USA so a Officer from the Embassy out there will visit. (My boss thought he was in for a free holiday in the States at one point lol)

Still shopping around for things Need a new headtorch and some cotton socks.

Well thats it for part two
Have a very Happy Christmas and a great New year everybody wherever you are.
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
TimLuna

Re: Being Deployed Hopefully some insights

Post by TimLuna »

MSI64 wrote:Part one
So it came in today. Sat in my workflow on JPA was the confirmation I was waiting for, As of May next year I am attached to my new Unit for my tour to Afghan.
Couple of good things come with this.

1 Acting Rank
2 More Pay

So all Im waiting for so far is my joining Instructions and more info on courses and Pre deployment training.
So, May seems a long way off at the moment but I know it comes round quick.
Couple of things to be down in the run up to Christmas, my passport runs out in 2012 so need to get that extended.
(Some of the paperwork can be done online and they send you the paperwork for you to fill out the rest)
Point to note on this, You have to pay for it up front and then claim it back on JPA. However the Army will only pay for the standard service and not Express, so check your passports and make sure you have more than 12 months left on it.

This is my sixth tour in my career. however this is only my second tour since being married six years ago. As a singly its pretty easy pack your room and get on the plane.
As a married man ther is a little more to think about. Take some time to look at where your going and what job your going to do. Regimental tours are easy however being an IA Individual Augmentee its a different ball game.
But here are my first thoughts.
Things going through my head
Will needs a rewrite.
(Your Clerk will have this but its always good to look at a rewrite as your life moves on)
Look at your Life Insurance.
(The Army will payout if you die, but its not a masive amount)
Set time to go see my parents and family.

Now the good bit

Start window shopping for some cool kit so far am looking at

Portable
solar kits
Helmet Cam
Will write more when I get more info hope the first post has given you ideas of what to look for

Cheers MSI64
Pretty exciting post indeed.. Yes it is bit old but still lot to learn.. I would love to get similar stuff very soon