Share This Page:

Joining Age

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
sam2009

Joining Age

Post by sam2009 »

Hi folks,

I've always wanted to join the Army, however, other things always seemed to have got in the way and I am now nearly 32. I got sick of the job I had since I left school so went to university as a mature-ish student and recently graduated with a BSc (Hons). I was going to continue studying, but I really want to join the army as I'm going to be too old to join pretty soon,
My problem is that I think I may feel out of place at basic training as I can imagine all the other people there will be from about 18-22.

So, I was wondering if anyone else here joined up at a later stage in their life, and if so, how was their experience?

Cheers!
Tab

Post by Tab »

You should be accepted if you meet their physical requirements. Still why not apply for Officer training first, check your careers office for information
sam2009

Post by sam2009 »

Yes, I have looked into applying as an officer, however, it seems that I am a little bit too old to be accepted. Although, I'm able to join as a logistics officer, but I am not sure if I would enjoy that, I was wanting to apply for the operator military intelligence career as I think I would enjoy that more.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

sam2009 wrote:Yes, I have looked into applying as an officer, however, it seems that I am a little bit too old to be accepted. Although, I'm able to join as a logistics officer, but I am not sure if I would enjoy that, I was wanting to apply for the operator military intelligence career as I think I would enjoy that more.
you have to be in Sandhurst by your 30 birthday REGARDLESS of what Corps you want to join!!!!!

33 is the cut off date for the Army so get your skates on
adamb

Post by adamb »

You wont feel like the odd one out, there was a 30 year old guy in my old Platoon, was from the carribean and was the funniest guy in the platoon. You just may be older than the cpls and just a tad younger than the platoon sgts but you definately wont be the odd one out.