Share This Page:

Stammer in the Army

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
scotty89

Stammer in the Army

Post by scotty89 »

Hey all, first post here, long time reader though, only got registerd today.

Anyway would like some peoples opinions and advice please.

I have a speech problem. I sometimes have a bad stammer/stutter and would block on words because I speak to fast. And people sometimes find me hard to understand because of. Its only really when I'm nervous though.

So right I am hoping to join the Parachute Regiment or Royal Artillery.
I got bullied about it in grammer school (not at all since I enterd further education). So what I am wondering is, during training and after, would i get bullied or picked on because of it?

And also would it stop and chance's of promotion?

I'd really appreciate any replies, its not even anything I could ask my AFCO because I honestly do not think they would give me an honest reply.

Thank you all very much
Airborne Legend

Post by Airborne Legend »

People will definitely take the piss, but that's part of the army, everyone has the piss taken out of them, you just have to give as good as you get. It shouldn't hamper your career unless you let it.
There is no fear, there is only the force.

Do or do not, there is no try.
ofens

Post by ofens »

Yeah don't let it stop you mate, unless it actually affects you doing your job there shouldn't be a problem.

People will take the piss left right and centre for all sorts of things, whatever they can find about you.
Often it's something that just doesn't make sense.
Be prepared for it and don't let it get you down - everyone will be getting stick for something!
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Tab

Post by Tab »

Just think what would happen if you had to shout a warning or to give orders, the time you had given the warning every one would be ober run
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

I get ripped all the time for having one ear a slightly weirder shape than the other, but just so you know its NOT bullying, in your platoon you and others will find little quirks with each other and you'll makes jokes of it, it's banter, yes it gets out of hand but who ever joins the army should have the maturity to lay off for a while before a fight or a complaint is made.

A stammer in the army shouldn't be a problem at all, if anything BONUS lol, no P.R.R for you (personal role radio). (banter all ready ;-) )

In all honesty there will be allot of times where your under pressure and allot of times where you'll be needed shout commands (Target indications, Fire control orders *possibly*) but after while it will get easier for you.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Without trying to put a downer on this thread you may have a probelm at ADSC. This depends on how bad it is. Rememeber you have an Icebreaker and an Interview to get through!!

And if you cant communicate the plan on the Command tasks phase you might be buggered.

I have know lots of Foreign and Commonwealth applicants who have been defered just because there accent is a little thick!

Practise your Icebreaker and try to stay calm is all I can advice, your Recruiter will have a good idea of whether you might make it

Good luck mate
waynepe

Post by waynepe »

As you say it is only when your nervous, a lot of people have speach impediments when they are nervous however some just keep going errr whereas you unfortunately stammer/stutter.

The thing to do is get less nervous about the icebreaker ( that is probably the most nervewracking speaking part) by practicing it regularly. Once you are in the army your confidence will improve and you will get nervous less often so if it is only when your nervous then your stutter/stammer should ease.

Another thing you may like to look at is confidence building class's before you join up to help you with nerves. Good luck with your application and make sure your RO is aware of this and see what s/he advises you to do to help.
scotty89

Post by scotty89 »

Hey guys, thanks for all the help and advice. My stammer isn't that bad, it depends on the situation. For example it would not be as bad as Gareth Gates (he's the only person with a stammer I think most people would know about LOL)

Yeah the Ice breaker I would say would be my first hurdle. Speaking to the army them selves so far is fine, on the phone, face to face etc has all went pretty smoothly. Got a bit tounge tied when speaking to some of the real big intimidating guys, i'm sure that'd happen to most people though :lol:

I did used to go to a speech therapist so I've got techniques to control it, it just takes a bit longer because it mainly all to do with breathing and all.

Thanks again guys
TinCanMan

Post by TinCanMan »

I know 2 people in para reg with a stammer and it hasnt affected them at all. one of my mates stammers was bad when he first came to battalion because he was nervous but it soon got better. And yes he got slagged at first but thats all part of army life if u aint getting slagged for something your doing something wrong. At the end of the day mate dont let something like that put u off. You've got this far in life so just go for it.