Share This Page:

AACC

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
bataz

AACC

Post by bataz »

May be a bone question so please give me the benefit of the doubt.

I'm joining The Rifles and am interested in doing the AACC at some point. What I want to know is what changes once you've completed it?

Do you have a new role all together?

Do you go back to your batallion and just get called up when needed to take part in commando ops?

can anybody help?
Application - Done.
BARB - Passed.
Basic Skills - Passed.
Written Medical - Cleared.
Interview - Passed.
ADSC - 19/05/09 - Passed.
Chosen Man - 08/06/09.

ITC Catterick - 23rd August.

Chosen Regiment - The Rifles.
druadan

Post by druadan »

Not many 'Commando' ops in Afghan mate, no cliffs and no water. All infantry do the same job (just Bootnecks do it slightly better :wink: ). I imagine you'd get drafted to the unit that's now part of 3 Cdo Bde, last I heard they're wanting to get that fully green-lidded (well, you know, slightly different shade of green to the Rifles :roll: ).
ofens

Post by ofens »

On the subject of AACC, I see many various belts'n'badges around Lympstone on their AACC,
and was just wondering how and why they get to do it.

Is there a requirement within the various Army regiments to have some Commando trained ranks?
Is it a perk to be allowed to go on it for good performance?
Also, do the RAF reg also take part?
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

With regards to the Rifles, its 1 Rifles that are now part of 3Cdo Brigade and are effectively the 4th manouevre unit within the Brigade. From what I have heard they are loosely looking at being fully 'Commando' trained by the end of 2010. From what I can gather ranks within the Rifles 'volunteer' to do the AACC and then go to 1 Rifles if successful, if not they return to their previous battalion.

I've not heard of any Raf Reg doing the AACC, why would they be given a place on it? The Corps have no need for them to be attached in any way I wouldn't have thought. Apart form the obvious ones, 29 Cdo, 59 Cdo, I imagine maybe the occasional Int Corps guys who are then attached the Corps would be on them? Not sure who else.
bataz

Post by bataz »

Cheers guys, got my answer now.
Application - Done.
BARB - Passed.
Basic Skills - Passed.
Written Medical - Cleared.
Interview - Passed.
ADSC - 19/05/09 - Passed.
Chosen Man - 08/06/09.

ITC Catterick - 23rd August.

Chosen Regiment - The Rifles.
druadan

Post by druadan »

Ofens, to continue Dwarfy's post:

Attatched Navy ranks (MAs being a notable example), various cap badges attatched at Commando Logs (many RLC), ranks wishing to transfer from whereever they are now to the Corps (although I believe whether this route is available is subject to various criteria).
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Druadan,

Any idea (however slight) how many Int Corps guys (or girls) are actually 'attached' to the Corps out on ops? by that I mean OPMI's that dont deploy with the Int Corps but within the actual commando units and so forth. I assume they will have done AACC?

Any thoughts?

Dwarfy,
timex

Post by timex »

I don't remember any Int Corps being attached to the Cdo Units or even Bde for that matter, we always had our own guys doing the Int course. However its been 4 yrs so things may have changed.
druadan

Post by druadan »

I honestly couldn't tell you mate...not having much to do with that side of things, the only faces I can remember is the int officer and the essence chick who did the Air side of it...and I haven't a clue what capbadge they were! Pretty sure one was Navy and the rest Army, no Bootnecks, but couldn't tell you which regt.

AACC is only really required for blokes who will be on the ground with the lads; for rear echelon staff (J2 being the case in point) I doubt there is any requirement for it (although they probably get given the option of doing it anyhow). But then I don't know the 'official' line on it.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Fair one druadan, I knew it was a long shot as to be honest I doubt its something many people really get involved with so most wouldn't really know. I assume in terms of 'humint' the Int Corps ranks do get out on the ground(and therefore amongst it due to the nature of things out there), so I just wondered if they were required to do the course.

Int Corps is something i'm very seriously considering as at the moment RMR and my civvy employment have no chance of working. Its a complete sh** as I dont enjoy my work but financially have no choice but to put it before RMR. In this current climate though I can't take the risk of jacking in my job, as ive tried for a number of others without success. :evil:
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

I know a couple of Int Corps guys going to do the AACC next year, its not essential but give you a better shot at working with 3 Cdo Bde.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Thanks for that MSI64, obviously i'm only thinking short term at the moment (i'e applying for Int Corps, passing their selection and getting into basic), but being RMR at the moment if I were to go down that route I would feel I have some unfinished buisness, so to speak, as its not looking likely that i'm going to get a crack at the RFCC.

Am I right in thinking your a recruiter at present?
What would your take be on someone coming in from the RMR, having not finished recruit training and wanting to join the Army as a reg? The reason i',m thinking of the Int Corps rather than anything else, is that as a career and 24/7 thats really where my interests lies. I'm just a little concerned that they may take issue with me having not finished RMR training, even though the reasons are genuine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dwarfy,