Share This Page:

Osgood-Schlatter's In the Army

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
dave1234

Post by dave1234 »

Hello Ruth

I haven't a word from you.

I'm assuming of course that you are a surgeon and not a 17 year old kid still living with his mum.

You have obviously decided not to respond to my offer to appear on TV to discuss your opinion of back pain and mine.

Fair enough. That's your perogative. Offers always open to you or an of your fellow doctos.

However, you challenged me with your comments on my "medical knowledge".

If you would like to discuss any aspect of back pain, let's have it right out here on this forum, or anywhere else.

You might like to bring to the reader's attention, statistics for recovery of patients who have received spinal fusions and surgery for herniated disks.

Would you say 90% success ?

No ?

Would you say 75% success ?

No ?

Would you say 50% success ?

How do you define success ? I know and will be putting up a posting on this soon.

Success as defined by orthos does NOT mean 100% pain free.

Maybe you'd like to tell us about the number of people who have to get a second fusion of their spine after seven years.

I diagnosed myself when I was left crippled by one of your lot. I diagnosed myself and went back to one of the most experienced back pain doctors in the States.

When I told him what I thought had been done to me, he said:

"Who's the doctor here, me or you ?"

Followed by

"Who's had thirty five years of medical experience, me or you ?"

He was wrong and put me and my family through six months of hell where I had to live in a darkened room and crawl on my belly to the toilet to have a sh*t.

I've spent the last two years of my life going through physical therapy so unpleasant that your mind wouldn't even be able to comprehend it.

I sleep when I can and cat nap during the day as the scar tissue that formed on my spine and presses against nerves as a result of having it twisted in three places and having my sacro-iliac joint dislocated and a recently healed herniated disk re-herniated causes me to almost lose my breath at times. I cannot sit down for more than 30 minutes at a time before having to stand. I lost my life savings paying medical bills and then found that no lawyer would help us because I already had a herniated disk.

I fight every day to keep myself pain free enough to see through another day.

So if you’re going to mouth off to me, stand up for what you believe in and let’s get on with it.

With reference to OS you turn around and say “Oh, just leave it. You’ll grow out of it”

Not everybody does. You then say that when you joined the RAF you had no problem.

No disrespect to the RAF, but there’s a world of difference between being sat in some medical office and tabbing over Brecon ranges with a massive bergan strapped to you.

I work daily with people who have been dumped by the medical system and told there is no hope for them.

I have to deal with people who'm I've been e-mailing for a long time kill themselves because they could no longer tolerate the pain of failed or botched back surgeries.

Fox TV will be doing another special soon on some American Vets including a Marine sniper and a chopper pilot who are now pain free due to my therapist working on them [ after they'd been told nothing more could be done for them ].

I was the one who got the ball rolling by phoning Walter Reed Army hospital day after day.

Good day to you madam
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

What was the saying about a little knowledge being dangerous.
[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

"The Regiment has served in every major campaign dating back to 1674."

3 RRF
Anti-Tanks: MILAN
Army Colours for Judo.
dave1234

Post by dave1234 »

quote="Fusilier"]What was the saying about a little knowledge being dangerous.[/quote]

I think some of the people below would disagree on that.

I didn’t want to put this up, but since you are doubting what I am saying:

This is one of the challenges I put up in the States some time ago.

http://pub47.bravenet.com/forum/4006344056/show/799332

Feel free to contact any of them. Paul is an ex US marine and Mui Thai kickboxer.
Weight Training Paul lives in the North Of England.

Many were told "Nothing more can be done for you".

All are living normally or are well on their way there.

There are a bunch of others whose details I can supply.

You can PM me and I will supply personal phone numbers. I just ask that you respect them when you call them to check up. Many have lost jobs and had marriages destroyed as a result of what they have endured.

In order for you to see visually what can be done for someone who has been told "You need steel rods put down your spine" I have contacted a chap called Tony in California. He has kindly agreed to have his photos put on this website.

Please respect what he has done. It is to try and help others.
No smart comments. He is one of the most courageous people I know.

He has gone through terrible pain, lost his job etc. he is now about 40% normal and improving each month.

You can say whatever you want about me, but not about any of the people who have been gracious enough to provide photos etc.

Let me ask you this question. Right now at this moment, what are you personally doing to help our injured servicemen ? I would be interested to find out.
dave1234

Post by dave1234 »

dave1234

Post by dave1234 »

Fusilier

As you are living in London, PM me and I will put you in touch with a young man also living in London, whom I've been working with over the last while. I don't charge a penny for anyone whom I help. Nobody was there for me and I would like to try and make sure that as many people as people as possible get whetever help I can give and are not just dumped by the wayside.

You can ask him what he thinks of my "Little bit of knowledge "
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Dave - Ruth does have a full-time job, so isn't online as often as some of the other members, which is probably why she hasn't had a chance to respond yet.
Your last couple of posts read in a slightly aggressive tone. People do have the right to disagree with you...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
dave1234

Post by dave1234 »

Hello Hyperlithe

Absolutely. I hope people will challenge what I say.

However, there is a "Nice way" and a "Not so nice way" to do things.

I respond in whatever manner I am spoken to first in kind. I’m a Jock and that’s just the way I am.

Instead of saying "Dave is wrong..." perhaps it would have been nicer if she had said "I disagree with you.."

I'm fine with that.

I actually welcome people disagreeing with me. A back and forth exchange of ideas is good.

I have great respect for most surgeons. If I'm in car-crash, God Forbid, it's a surgeon that I want to see.

However, they can be wrong at times. Unfortunately few will accept any alternative theories.

Tell you what. Let's just forget all about OS, and have her come on the para reg forum and dispute anything I say regarding back pain.

I don’t want to get into too many details, but my work used to involve satellite dishes. Not a Sky TV dish stuck on the side of the house, but antennas 105 feet across and weighing three hundred tons. These antennas had to follow or track a tiny object in space 22,300 miles away. One of my jobs was troubleshooting these systems. A computer made decisions, sent signals to a drive mechanism and that in turn caused wheels to move. That was why I was able to understand what had been done to me. Brain = computer, drive system = muscles, wheels = bones. I figured out from analyzing my movement patterns or lack thereof that my SI joint had been dislocated, amongst a bunch of other things. Then had to devise a series of tests to prove that to the doctors who told me that it was NOT the problem.

If she would like to comment in a proper manner on any of my postings [ but not simply “You are wrong……” ], I’ll be glad to go back and forth in a “nice” manner.

Unfortunately I’ve not yet been able to get a single doctor or doctors to come on TV and discuss all of this.

There won’t be any shouting or screaming. I will present my case, including a stack of photos, documents and x-rays and actual people who have been helped. She can then dispute any of it from an engineering or medical point of view. Mine will be purely from an engineering point of view.
I live in Orlando. There are a ton of Brits on holiday here every day. Why not get her to put a posting on an ortho web site and any Brit ortho who is over here can nip down to the studio ? It's in Tampa nor far from here. Or, as I said, I’ll pay for a flight and some accommodation ?

Up to now, I simply can’t get anyone to do this.

Due to my physical problems I’m going to be here for a while.

I joke about the RAF, but it’s all in good fun.

However, this stuff is serious.

Dave
dave1234

Post by dave1234 »

Hyperlithe

One thing:

I put up two of my x-rays previously. I had asked Ruth to tell everyone what in her opinion caused my L5-S1 disk to degenerate on one side more than the other. I was able to see instantly from an engineering point of view what was wrong. None of the other doctors could however. They all said "old age". That is next to useless. No specific information given as to cause.

Next, what did I do to fix the disk height ? Every doctor I spoke to [ and I e-mailed that x-ray all over the world ] said that a disk that damaged could never be regenerated in height.

Well, that's wrong, as I have the x-rays to prove it. Originals with the bloke mentioned previously [ I've given him permission to release any of my medical records ].

Unfortunately at this stage on multiple back pain forums, I never hear back from any of the dcotors who tell me bluntly "I am wrong". Maybe I am, but let's at least have a logical discussion step by step. Very often it's not about someone being right or wrong, but an extra part of the puzzle being made available to help augment existing therapies.

Hope Ruth will break that pattern by responding with medical or engineering reasons. I know nothing about livers, brains, hearts kidneys etc, but my dangerous little knowledge has taught me a tiny bit about the bio-mechanics of the back. Latin terminology of the skeleto-muscular system will be best , as saying "that long stringy thing on the back of the sacrum" for example can get a bit confusing.

Please remind her.

Thanks

Dave
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Dave - you can say what you like about the RAF, I'm a big girl (in the grown-up sense, not size-wise!) and I'm not about to take it personally!
My brother (RM Bandsman) and I have a lot of banter, and then of course my Dad used to be a Navy officer, my grandfathers were Navy and Marines, and my great-grandfathers were Army, so I get stick from all sides of my family! Although it's not a complete departure from tradition as my Dad was a Lynx pilot for several years...
Only the kids who haven't joined up yet take the inter-service banter seriously, everyone who's serving knows that every arm, branch and trade in the military is essential.
:D

I would imagine that with the infrequency of Ruth's visits she doesn't read every single post that's been put up in between. (I know that when I was away for a few days the other week I came back to find over 500 unread posts - I have to attempt to read them being a mod, everyone else can just cherry-pick!)
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
dave1234

Post by dave1234 »

Hi Hyperlithe

No probs. I'm only on this forum to try and give whatever help I can to people in pain.

I agree 100% in people going to see their doctors. I'm just trying to help those who have ben told bluntly "You have no hope".

I deal with this daily with people from all over the world.

Some are fortunate and get total relief, but for others all that can be done is to give them some relief and allow them to get on with their lives.

I don't want to battle with Ruth, simply discuss things step by step.

I'll say " The main reason for the occurence of disk herniations in my opinion is ....."

I'll then detail medically/engineering wise the reasons why I say that.

She can then come in and disagree. However simply saying "You are wrong" is a non-starter.

She will have to try to pick apart my arguement logically and step by step.

If she makes a complete prat of me on this forum, so be it.

She has nothing to lose.

If my "little bit of dangerous knowledge" is all I have then it will be me who ends up with egg on my face.

Now, I can't be fairer than that.

Then we can go from :agrue:

to :D

or

:(

for me

Whatever the case may be.

Cheers

Dave
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

I'm so pleased I didn't get involved with this.
Ruth is in fact a Doctor,last I heard from her she was aboard a cruise liner in the Caribbean.
She doesn't answer my PM's anymore so I guess she's just found someone else :cry:
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

wasnt doctor ruth that short dear deidre type that used to appear on tv back in the day?? sort of sex guru?
'Every man an Emperor'
dave1234

Post by dave1234 »

I can't go on any more with this.

This forum is ruthless.....

I'll get me coat [ wait, make it anorak as there's more fishing stuff on it's way.........]
dave1234

Post by dave1234 »

Wholley wrote:Ruth is in fact a Doctor,last I heard from her she was aboard a cruise liner in the Caribbean.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2006 ... ces.health

Good article Batty. I’ll be vigilant for anything I can find.

Have struck out so far ……… :(

Dave
dave1234

Post by dave1234 »

gunner75 wrote:wasnt doctor ruth that short dear deidre type that used to appear on tv back in the day?? sort of sex guru?
No sure gunner.

Looking for orthopaedic surgeons, I typed in "bone doctor" and this came up:

http://drruth.com/

:o

Dave