Share This Page:

Standard issue Army boots...

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
robbiedont

Standard issue Army boots...

Post by robbiedont »

I got myself a pair of standard issue boots t'other week in the hope of getting my feet used to wearing/walking/running in them.

Question is, do they EVER fit very well?

Normally I would wear a size 8.5 but the 8's I bought felt a tiny bit on the big side whereas the 7's were far too small. I have been wearing them with the thick black socks I got from the Army surplus store but no combinations of socks or insoles seem to get a fit that feels good!

They just feel cavernous around the heel which means it rubs lots...

Could I get some non standard boots and bring them with me if I get accepted into the Army?
Last edited by robbiedont on Fri 15 Feb, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faddius

Post by faddius »

I need to pick up a standard pair of Army boots this weekend for an upcoming POC. Does anyone know what I should ask for exactly bootwise ( I hav a pair of black Lowas for mountaineering but I presume these would be frowned upon during the POC :roll: ) and also recommend a resonably priced shop in London where I can purchase said accoutrements? :)
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

Um... Faddius, I was just at my PRMC brief yesterday and we were told that we would be supplied boots and that they were only used for the assault course (to stop you snapping your ankles basically)

Is it different on the POC?
faddius

Post by faddius »

I need them for the Para POC. I know in Lympstone they issue you with some for the PRMC.
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

When I first saw this thread on 'Ammo Boots' I thought bloody hell still using clickety-click boots for 'Marching Up and Down The Square!!" (two-three..) ...and when it stated Robbiedont had bought some for RUNNING in it really confused me..

No ....the words 'Ammo Boots' bring most old and bold out in a cold sweat with memories of 'the crunch' as they came clip-clopping towards you while on parade and waiting for some jumped up tw*t with a stick to give you a hardtime for only spending the last 24hours solid rubbing lumps of beeswax/polish/phlegm (or 'Clear' :D ) onto the leather of your own pair to get them into that mirror-like quality.

Leather soled, hobnailed boots of the sort worn by Boris Karloff bear no resemblance to the sort of designer gear that is now on issue. You lot don't know you're born.......... :-?
robbiedont

Post by robbiedont »

So the current issue ones aren't called that any more?

Any help with getting what I have to fit what ever they are called?
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

That's cheating!! ...you titled this thread 'Ammo Boots' and now have gone in and changed it to 'Standard Issue Army boots' (I look a right cnut now now don't I.... :roll:
Last edited by sportbilly42 on Fri 15 Feb, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robbiedont

Post by robbiedont »

sportbilly42 wrote:That's cheating!! ...you titled this thread 'Ammo Boots' (I look a right cnut now now don't I.... :roll:

;)
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

It could possibly be the width of the boots that make them feel uncomfortable. You can get small, medium and large in each size so if, for example, you have a size 8 large yet you only have a narrow foot then that may be why you're having problems with them rubbing?
robbiedont

Post by robbiedont »

Alfa wrote:It could possibly be the width of the boots that make them feel uncomfortable. You can get small, medium and large in each size so if, for example, you have a size 8 large yet you only have a narrow foot then that may be why you're having problems with them rubbing?
Really? Sh1t, bloke in the shop never told me about different widths...

grrr
robbiedont

Post by robbiedont »

And they don't show them as different widths on their website either

http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/catalo ... ts_id/2025
robbiedont

Post by robbiedont »

Well, I popped to a different shop today, apparently I am a size 7 not a size 8 when it comes to British Army boots!

Still loose around the heel, but I have just ran a bath for my boots so hopefully once they have a bit of give in them my insoles will fit in and they will feet more like boots rather than shoe boxes...