Share This Page:

Advice needed please!!!!

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
bloodykids

Advice needed please!!!!

Post by bloodykids »

My 16 year old son is interested in joining the Royal Engineers after going to College / Uni - looking at Officer entry.

He is considering applying to Welbeck or the 6th form Scholarship scheme.

He is intelligent, sporty and has a lot going for him.
However, he also has both ears pierced and wears two diamond studs a lot of the time (including for school). Can somebody please give me advice as to whether I need to tell him that he is making a rod for his own back.

If he was to go to selection and it was obvious he wore them would it count against him?

Any advice would be most appreciated - I will get him to read whatever advice is given.

Thanks
dereck

Post by dereck »

hi read your message with interest. I was an instructor at the Guards Depot and on many occassions recruits (not officer candidates) disembarked from the train wearing piercings a short sharp introduction to the foul mouth of the Sergeant Major certainly enligtened the recruit regarding his attire. needless to say he never entered the Depot wearing the piercings

As an Officer Candidate I would certainly ensure all piercings are removed prior to entering the Army Careers office as Officers (ruperts) are assessed in relation to their attire and presentation.

Keep us informed
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Definitely tell him to get rid of them before he joins up there's nothing worse than a man with ear rings.

Although having said that, lads with piercings can be of some use at times.........the first time I went to Catterick I was standing outside my Section Commanders office waiting to be called in when one of the other Corporals came along and spotted me standing there in a little world of my own, the response was to the point "what the f@#k are you doing standing there Joe??!!"

I took one look at his face and thought "oh dear I've only been here 5min and I'm about to get my first thrashing" However, as he approached me I saw his eye's veer off when I turned to see what he was looking at there was this Chav complete with diamond studs and white suede tracksuit behind me. Needless to say one of us got a short sharp introduction to the press up position and thankfully it wasn't me as with all that "bling" I was soon forgotten about :lol:

So in short tell him to ditch them and stop looking like a mong. :wink:
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

When i went on my PRMC, some kid thought he would be cool and had a bolt in his tongue and a bolt in the back of his neck...who knows why, but he did.

During Marching drills the Drill instructor saw it, and warned that he best take the neck one out. (he hadnt seen the tongue on yet.)
The clever kid, didnt. When talking to the CPL later in the day, he saw the stud in his tongue, which reminded him of the one in his neck!

Lets just say the CPLs quick movement in dislodging the neck bolt, was tremendous. There was a bit of blood but he survived. He took out the tongue one, and shortly left the course!
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
Holger Danske

Post by Holger Danske »

and a bolt in the back of his neck...
WTF??..
"Sir! We are surrounded! - Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"
aspinall

Post by aspinall »

sounds painful haha :)
You'll Never Walk Alone