Share This Page:

Officers.

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
spiderbloke

Officers.

Post by spiderbloke »

It says to be an officer you need.

GCSEs (General Certificates of Secondary Education)
You’ll need at least 35 A Level Information System (ALIS) points at GCSE. This must include at least a Grade C (or equivalent) in English language, mathematics and either a science or foreign language.

If most of my grades were C's with a few D's, a B and an A do I have the required things?
spiderbloke

Post by spiderbloke »

I found out how much each grade is worth and I have at least 38 points not counting my D's (dont know if they count), sorted :D :drinking:
_chris

Post by _chris »

I don't think your D's will count, don't know for sure but I think they always used to said A*-C to be counted. I never noticed they had switched to points, always used to say set number of grades between such and such range, I don't even know how many points I got.
spiderbloke

Post by spiderbloke »

I have enough GCSE points and Im getting my AS-levels this year then onto my A-levels.

Are you an officer then?, if so how do you find the job?
_chris

Post by _chris »

No I'm not an officer, still just a wannabe at college. I was going to get RM sponsorship but an injury wrote that attempt off :evil:.

Was just refering to when I looked at the army in the past they just gave numbers of set grades to be acchieved, not points. RM just took down the grades also, but they may have converted them to points after.
spiderbloke

Post by spiderbloke »

Unlucky about the injury mate.

I think points is a change all over as uni have gone from grades to UCAS points, just a change in the times me thinks...
spiderbloke

Post by spiderbloke »

Anyone know what the training at Sandhurst consists of?
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

spiderbloke wrote:Anyone know what the training at Sandhurst consists of?
http://www.sandhurst.mod.uk/courses/commissioning.htm

All you need to know, short of going into the careers office and getting a booklet on it.

That took me all of about 30 seconds to find that...and he wants to be an rupert :roll: :wink:
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Doc

Re: Officers.

Post by Doc »

spiderbloke wrote:It says to be an officer you need.

GCSEs (General Certificates of Secondary Education)
You’ll need at least 35 A Level Information System (ALIS) points at GCSE. This must include at least a Grade C (or equivalent) in English language, mathematics and either a science or foreign language.

If most of my grades were C's with a few D's, a B and an A do I have the required things?
nah, your a thick coont who's best get quickly to the realisation that you'll be licking windows and asking if fat farkers want fries with that. :lol:
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Paratrooper01 wrote:
http://www.sandhurst.mod.uk/courses/commissioning.htm

All you need to know, short of going into the careers office and getting a booklet on it.

That took me all of about 30 seconds to find that...and he wants to be an rupert :roll: :wink:
He got temporarily miss placed when looking for the AFCO, so he's in with a chance. :lol:
Paratrooper01

Re: Officers.

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Doc wrote:nah, your a thick coont who's best get quickly to the realisation that you'll be licking windows and asking if fat farkers want fries with that. :lol:

Want to go supersize with that? :P
dwarfy wrote:He got temporarily miss placed when looking for the AFCO, so he's in with a chance.
Thats always a good start. Let the man into Sandbags straight away i say. :)
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
df2inaus

Joining the Army as an Officer

Post by df2inaus »

Spiderbloke,

You need to know a few very important things about the background of today's officer cadets.

In 2002, when I was at Sandhurst, 85 percent of officer cadets had degrees, then there was a large number of sixth-form graduates from Welbeck, then the comprehensive and public school sixth-form graduates, then there were numerous, and by far the most capable, junior NCO's from the regular forces.

At the very bottom of the pecking order were cadets with only GCSE's. I think I only met one the whole time I was there and he never commissioned. That said, he had personal problems to deal with unrelated to his academic background.

You are simply more likely to succeed in the written and communications component of Sandhurst the longer you have been in academics.

Leadership comes from your upbringing and life experience and cannot be acquired in academia, that's why there is the selection board, to see if leadership qualities are there, even if dormant.

So, it is possible, but unlikely. If you even make it to the selection board, and you don't pass, you will either need to join the regulars as a soldier, go to university, or finish the sixth form. Then try again in a few years, they will value the fact that you returned more determined immensely.

If you make it as far as the RCB, or whatever they call it now, at Westbury, you can forget about worrying about your academic background and it will all hinge on your performance over those fateful four days.

Training at Sandhurst consists of the Common Military Syllabus plus the leadership training required for officer cadets to proceed to the next phase of training, e.g. PCBC, or Troop Commander Courses, which last roughly 12 weeks.

The junior officer killed in Iraq, Joanna Dyer, was attached to an infantry unit, likely until a Young Officer's course was held for the Intelligence Corps, so it is possible her training could have lasted as long as two years, technically.

df2inaus
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman
spiderbloke

Re: Joining the Army as an Officer

Post by spiderbloke »

df2inaus wrote:Spiderbloke,

You need to know a few very important things about the background of today's officer cadets.

In 2002, when I was at Sandhurst, 85 percent of officer cadets had degrees, then there was a large number of sixth-form graduates from Welbeck, then the comprehensive and public school sixth-form graduates, then there were numerous, and by far the most capable, junior NCO's from the regular forces.

At the very bottom of the pecking order were cadets with only GCSE's. I think I only met one the whole time I was there and he never commissioned. That said, he had personal problems to deal with unrelated to his academic background.

You are simply more likely to succeed in the written and communications component of Sandhurst the longer you have been in academics.

Leadership comes from your upbringing and life experience and cannot be acquired in academia, that's why there is the selection board, to see if leadership qualities are there, even if dormant.

So, it is possible, but unlikely. If you even make it to the selection board, and you don't pass, you will either need to join the regulars as a soldier, go to university, or finish the sixth form. Then try again in a few years, they will value the fact that you returned more determined immensely.

If you make it as far as the RCB, or whatever they call it now, at Westbury, you can forget about worrying about your academic background and it will all hinge on your performance over those fateful four days.

Training at Sandhurst consists of the Common Military Syllabus plus the leadership training required for officer cadets to proceed to the next phase of training, e.g. PCBC, or Troop Commander Courses, which last roughly 12 weeks.

The junior officer killed in Iraq, Joanna Dyer, was attached to an infantry unit, likely until a Young Officer's course was held for the Intelligence Corps, so it is possible her training could have lasted as long as two years, technically.

df2inaus
Cheers mate, appreciate the info.

I forgot to mention in my original post Im doing my first year of A-levels.
dannyd

Post by dannyd »

Pretty much what you'd expect: PT, weapons training, exercises, academic studies (war studies, defence & international affairs, comms & management studies), drill etc... Plus the usual: getting messed around, lack of sleep, hurry up and wait, and all that good stuff. Everyone will try and 'talk up' the first five weeks but it's not that bad, just not too much fun.

The website that Para01 posted is worth a look, though if I remember correctly it's quite vague.

If you've got any specific questions post them on here, I'm about for a while before I go back to the funhouse.