Share This Page:

:: IMPORTANT MESSAGE ::

Forums Announcements, News & Media Articles along with current home and international affairs.
Beast
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Beast »

Over the last couple of weeks we have had a great increase in registrants registering to create spam.

Even though we do our upmost best, we have systems in place which control at least 70% of spam.

As you are all aware of the technological advance of the internet we can never stop spam 100%.

At present, large forums (message boards) are attacked, as these websites and services have a great number of members and a community to target.

We are not alone; other websites and services are suffering badly as well.

Their new tactic is to send spam messages out to members via the ‘Private Messaging’ system. Hence why at times you may receive an email from us telling you that there is a message waiting for you. And on your return there is no message to be found.

This is due to the spam message being removed throughout the forum.

We act as fast as we can under GMT, but we can not operate as swiftly within another time zone.

We understand your concerns, and at times the seriousness of certain matters and messages, but under the circumstances the relevant authorities can not deal with small scale spam.

Please accept our upmost sincere apologies if any material does offend, as previously said we are doing our upmost best to combat the situation.
Beast
Administrator
Administrator

:: UPDATE ::

Post by Beast »

:: UPDATE ::

Recent spam registrations that are sending out spam to all members orginate from an AOL Email address.

We do not like to cause disruption, but we may have to start banning new registrants using an AOL email address.

This is not something we would like to introduce but the time is coming for all members to start registering with their valid ISP (Internet Service Provider) email address only.

If this is introduced,current registered members will not be affected, but members will have to update their email address at some point.

Will keep you all informed on any further developments.
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Jay,

Thanks for all the good work.

I have never been able to fathom what these people get out of what they do. They are seriously weird. :evil:
Tab

Post by Tab »

Many thanks for all of your good work on this matter
foxtrotoscar

Post by foxtrotoscar »

Hi Jay

Received your email re the Spam Attacks. Have not had any problems whatsoever as of yet from any of my sites. May be just the way its set up (or the large crucifix dangling from wall).

They are just a bunch of wasters as you probably know spamming to harvest email addresses from any replies they may get back.

One thing is I do have any "trackbacks" re any postings whatsoever cancelled (unchecked) on the "Admin" side this may be of help.......Its also down to the recipient of the emails, even if they dont open the email and just highlight it this can cause any email harvesting program to run and send the contact list off without any knowledge whatsoever.

Like you thru sheer practise and experience I can spot a dodgy email from 600 meters, then all I do is junk and block (never to be seen again).

So a large majority of all this is down to your members initially receiving the spam from your site. You can only recommend that they do not highlight or even open mail that is non recognisable.

Keep in touch re this problem if it persists.......

I also tried to "reply" to your email and your system is just bouncing it back as undeliverable. So I tried to send a message via your contact form but when I submitted it this message came up (highlighted);

Your comments/suggestions have been sent, thank-you.

We will be in touch shortly, please allow at least 24hrs.

Warning: fopen(.htaccess) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/milforum/public_html/contactsent.php on line 79

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/milforum/public_html/contactsent.php on line 79
You've been detected trying to do stream injection and blocked from further access to this mail form.

There are some real problems here. Can you send me a secure email that will accept replies from me?

PMPT & Semper Fi.......(Teflon) @ foxnwolf.com

Sisyphus wrote:Jay,

Thanks for all the good work.

I have never been able to fathom what these people get out of what they do. They are seriously weird. :evil:
Semper Fi & PMPT.......
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

foxtrotoscar wrote:Like you thru sheer practise and experience I can spot a dodgy email from 600 meters, then all I do is junk and block (never to be seen again).
The problem I encounter is that when I block an address I get similar msgs from senders whose email address only differs slightly from the one I blocked. It's as if they have a programme that reacts to blocked emails by generating a new 'sender' with a slightly different address which, of course, won't be blocked.

Couldn't they be sweeping streets, helping the aged or infirm or something else really useful? :-? :evil:
foxtrotoscar

Post by foxtrotoscar »

Its always the same, they do differ slightly and try to catch you out. Normally you can defend your self depending on your email system.

You can enter the email addresses that you will only accept and auto junk all the others. Kinda opposite of what you do now.................There may be a advanced section somewhere so you can enter your accepted email addresses.

It sometimes can be a pain to update though. One way round all this is create new email addresses;

One for all your regular friends and online finance/bank accounts etc.

and

One for your sign ups and memberships etc. (set this one to auto delete after 7 days) This enables you to check and forward any of your regular emails that may have slipped thru the net.

and

Never accept updates/news/views/etc from any company whatsoever. Plus go a bit green and cut down the crap coming thru your letterbox, go paperless on your financial accounts (no statements)...

Good Luck.......
Semper Fi & PMPT.......
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

F.O.

Cheers
Marcus Wendel

Post by Marcus Wendel »

I sent you a pm some methods to combat forum spammers that I've used with considerable success in my forums, hopefully they can also be helpful to you. I don't want to post them here in the open forum, no need to make it too easy for the spammers.

/Marcus
[url=http://www.axishistory.com]Axis History Factbook[/url] - [url=http://forum.axishistory.com]Axis History Forum[/url] - [url=http://www.flagsforum.com]Flags & Heraldry Forum[/url]