Share This Page:

PM Apologises Over Soldier Letter

Forums Announcements, News & Media Articles along with current home and international affairs.
Beast
Administrator
Administrator

PM Apologises Over Soldier Letter

Post by Beast »

News article taken from: BBC

PM apologises over soldier letter.

Gordon Brown has telephoned a bereaved mother to apologise after apparently misspelling the name of her dead soldier son in a letter of sympathy.

Guardsman Jamie Janes, 20, from Brighton, East Sussex, was killed in an explosion in Afghanistan in October.

The Sun newspaper said his mother Jacqui had called the prime minister's letter a "hastily scrawled insult".

But Mr Brown's spokesman said he was "very sorry for the way that Mrs Janes feels about the letter".

He added the prime minister was "deeply mortified to think he may have offended the family".

Guardsman Janes, of 1st Battalion The Grenadier Guards, was killed in an explosion while on foot patrol in Helmand province.

'Half-finished'

According to the Sun, his mother Jacqui was angry when she received the prime minister's letter of condolence in which he appeared to misspell Guardsman Janes's name as "James".

The paper has reproduced the handwritten letter.

The prime minister has previously admitted problems with his eyesight after a childhood rugby injury.

His spokesman described Mr Brown's handwriting as "somewhat unique".
The reason he personally writes to every family is to acknowledge the debt of gratitude owed by the country to those who have died to protect the people of Britain - Downing Street Statement
But Mrs Janes told the Sun that the letter had been "scrawled so quickly I could hardly even read it" and that "some of the words were half-finished".

She described it as "disrespectful" and an "insult" to her son.

In a statement, Downing Street said the prime minister took a great deal of time writing to bereaved relatives.

It added: "The reason he personally writes to every family is to acknowledge the debt of gratitude owed by the country to those who have died to protect the people of Britain."

Climate Change Secretary Ed Miliband told the BBC: "I think anyone who sees Mrs Janes's upset will very much regret what she is feeling.

"And I'm sure the prime minister will feel that he intended to offer her some little comfort at the most difficult time for her.

"I'm sure he will be very upset himself at the upset she's feeling."

It is official policy for the prime minister to write to the families of all service personnel killed in action while on operational duties.

According to Ministry of Defence guidelines published on the Parliament website, the letter is drafted by military officials and should ideally be sent within two working days of the death being announced.

The defence secretary writes to the families of members of the armed forces who die in service although not on operations.

Express your views below:
xuiton

Re: PM Apologises Over Soldier Letter

Post by xuiton »

typical britsh public behaviour; the man has some serious problems and this woman is using the excuse of her dead son to cash in and run to the paper.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

[quote="xuiton"]typical britsh public behaviour; the man has some serious problems and this woman is using the excuse of her dead son to cash in and run to the paper.[/quote]

Although this thread is old, I am going to answer.

The letter was at best a big mistake and at worst a bloody insult.
Whilst it was a Hand written letter, Gordon Brown should at least made sure the basics where right. Why did he not first write it down and then get it proof written for spelling mistakes??
The young man died for this country/Govt and at the very least should have been afforded at least a little vaulable time spent on him rather than a hurried scribblings of a man who plays at being concerned.
Gordon Brown runs/ran our country, in charge of millons/Billions of pounds of our money I would expect due care and attention to everything he did/does.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Can any one please explain why the PM started writing these letters, will every future person in the Forces now get a hand written letter from the PM if they die in an area of conflict. I agree things needed to improve over the handling of those who died for their country, which I think they have, but one now wonders where it will stop, should the local MP also write a letter along with the Minster for Defence, and of course there is always the Queen, and lets face it most Royals are Colonels of these Regiments or Units.