Share This Page:

Radiohead salutes WW1 veteran Harry Patch

Forums Announcements, News & Media Articles along with current home and international affairs.
Beast
Administrator
Administrator

Radiohead salutes WW1 veteran Harry Patch

Post by Beast »

Radiohead salutes WW1 veteran Harry Patch in support of The Royal British Legion

Inspired by the prophetic words of Britain’s last veteran to have fought in the First World War, British band Radiohead today released a haunting single “Harry Patch (In Memory Of)” with all proceeds being donated to The Royal British Legion.

“I had heard a very emotional interview with (Harry Patch) a few years ago on the “Today” programme on BBC Radio Four,” said lead singer Thom Yorke. “The way he talked about war had a profound effect on me.”

Using Harry Patch’s own words as the basis of the song lyrics and with Jonny Greenwood arranging the strings, the song was recorded in an abbey a few weeks before Harry Patch’s death at the age of 111 on Saturday 25 July. His funeral service will be held in Wells Cathedral on Thursday.

The “last fighting Tommy,” who served as a Lewis gunner in Passchendaele, only began to speak of his experiences in his 100th year and his vision of the horrors of that conflict inspired Thom Yorke.

“I very much hope the song does justice to his memory as the last survivor,” said Mr Yorke. “It would be very easy for our generation to forget the true horror of war, without the likes of Harry to remind us. I hope we do not forget.

“As Harry himself said, ‘Irrespective of the uniforms we wore, we were all victims.”

The Royal British Legion praised the song and the band’s generous support.

"Radiohead has picked up the torch from Harry Patch to hold it high," said Peter Cleminson, National Chairman of The Royal British Legion. "His was meant to be the war to end all wars - yet the Legion is still needed today by the Afghanistan generation just as we were formed nearly 90 years ago to care for Harry Patch's generation."

"Radiohead uses Harry's own words to remind us of the horrors of war, and we believe Harry would be pleased."

Dedicated 'to peace and understanding', the song is available for download for £1. Visit www.radiohead.com

Harry Patch (In Memory Of)

"i am the only one that got through
the others died where ever they fell
it was an ambush
they came up from all sides
give your leaders each a gun and then let them fight it out themselves
i've seen devils coming up from the ground
i've seen hell upon this earth
the next will be chemical but they will never learn"