Share This Page:

Tyson gives title belt to hero Ben

Forums Announcements, News & Media Articles along with current home and international affairs.
SO19

Post by SO19 »

By ALASTAIR TAYLOR

FORMER boxing champ Mike Tyson has given one of his precious world title belts to battling soldier Ben Parkinson.

And Tyson, 41, insisted: “He is the real hero – an inspiration.”

Lance Bombardier Ben, 24, who lost both his legs when his Land Rover was blown up by a mine in Afghanistan, was “amazed” to meet his sporting hero at a celebrity dinner.

His mum Diane Dernie, 50, said: “Ben had a wonderful evening. He was over the moon at meeting Mike and getting the belt.

“Mike was an absolute gentleman, he was gentle, caring and kind.”

Para Ben suffered 37 other injuries in the bombing in 2006 – including a blast injury to his brain.

Ben, the worst-injured soldier ever to survive such wounds, met Tyson when the American went to his home town, Doncaster, South Yorks, with the signed IBF title belt.

Diane, a supporter of The Sun-backed Help For Heroes campaign that raises money to care for injured troops, added: “Ben was a heavyweight and boxed for 7th Para.

“He was always a fan of Mike. Despite what has happened, Ben never thinks of himself as special and could not believe Tyson wanted to meet him. We tried to keep the belt a surprise but Ben found out.

“When Prince William and Prince Harry came to Hedley Court, where Ben is being treated, it was the first thing he told them.

“We were informed the belt is very special to Mike – but he has given it to Ben.”

Tyson, who presented the belt at a dinner for 800 fans, said: “I was humbled when I met Ben. I wanted to do something special for him.”
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 230738.ece
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

I must say I have a bit of a new found respect for the guy. Good effort.