Share This Page:

Britain urged to love a man in uniform again

Forums Announcements, News & Media Articles along with current home and international affairs.
davo141

Post by davo141 »

Tab, you always see matlots in Plymouth and Portsmouth, as much as i hate people travelling up the line in rig, for some reason i dont mind this, these cities have grown up with the Navy and without them they would be nothing, it seems the people there (ignoring the idiotic youth that purposely cause shit) respect them and are at ease with them been there, possibly because many of them served and maybe there uniforms are a lot smarter than CS95.

The day someone offers to buy me a pint or gives me a hug for been in the forces is the day i think the world has lost it, this country is far to affraid of showing any feelings, proberly due to years of neglect and tabboo. people flying flags of Saing George from there house are told to take it down, any chance to show national (mainly English) pride is frowned upon, and i feel this goes hand in hand with openly supporting our Armed forces, mostly due to not wanting to offend or Muslim residents!

The only place you'd ever get a pint bought for you is in a British Legion Club, and personelly i find them a welcomed change from boring students and local chavs, and theres some good dits aswel!!
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
Ste Preece

Wearing Rig

Post by Ste Preece »

Guys: Wearing uniform in military towns does not look out of place and is part of everyday life. However, elsewhere it can and does make the wearer a target for the would be hardmen!

A high number of the civilian population aren't always supportive of the armed forces. Particularly the younger generation aged around 18 to 30 years old. Some will appreciate what you do and will buy you drinks, whereas others see you as a test of their toughness and may well want to fight you after they've had a few beers.

During my service, we didn't really wear uniform when going ashore, but we did quite often wear tee shirts that proudly presented the Corps Badge on them.

I used to get questions like:

Do you think you're hard?
Do you think the marines are tough?
I'm a tax payer and therefore I pay your wages!
Etc etc etc

I personally, didn't tollerate any crap from people, but I certainly had a fair amount of it thrown my way, both during and after my service.

Unfortunately, this poor guy, who grew up in the same area as I did a good number of years later, suffered at the hands of these type of numpties:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/6138886.stm

In reality, they just don't understand the world military personnel live and fight in. Nor do many of them appreciate it.

I guess the way to look at it is to expect nothing from the general public and anything else is a bonus.

Best Regards

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource