Share This Page:

15 British naval personnel have been seized by Iranian navy

Forums Announcements, News & Media Articles along with current home and international affairs.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Iranian President and part-time Colombo impersonator, Mr Armoured Dinner-Jackett has just announced the "immediate release" of the captives at a press conference . They will be flown out of Iran via Deran air port he said, as a "gift" to the British people.
Let` hope it happens
:wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
harry hackedoff

Ten minutes ago, Iranian tv showed Armoured Dinner Jacket shaking hands with the Bootys and Matelots and wishing them well. No commentary on the vid, just the sound track. Bang out of order this is. Lads all wearing nice new grey suits and a few sarcy comments could be heard. Hope they`ll be away soon.

Couldn`t nick the Iran tv feed, but Reuters were kind enough to provide this :wink:

http://www.reuters.com/news/video/video ... 37e82e02c5
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
harry hackedoff

harry hackedoff

B.A. Airbus back to Heathrow and away in two Sea Kings toRMB Chivenor.

Thank fark it ended as it did. Rules of Engagement want a good dose of looking at, as does the actual border versus where the Iranians think it is, deffo needs sorting.

And next time, don`t give Jenny or Rupert the GPS, ffs :roll:
flo

Post by flo »

Watch out for the interview given outside the main gates the black jeep that drives past is me :D
Friendship is like peeing in your pants,
everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth!!
harry hackedoff

Bet you were doing that all morning just in case 8)
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Saw them paraded in front of "Armored Dinner Jacket"(Wish I had thought of that)At the presidential residence,Giving thank's and such.
As he dosen't speak English,Wossa point?
Iran 1.
British Government 0
The probability of it happening again?10
Is the rest of the Mid-East watching this?10(Syria comes to mind)
Is the US Government watching this sorry show?10.
With the current ROE the Royal Navy may as well bug out now.
harry hackedoff

Armoured Dinner-Jackett is thanked by Fay Turney,

flo

Post by flo »

No harry believe it or not i was away fishing for the day. Just caught all the action as i came back onto camp. It has been like a media circus, the duck pond area is covered in media and spectators.

My mum saw me though :D
Friendship is like peeing in your pants,
everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth!!
HCR

Post by HCR »

I just want to say Im really glad there back safe and sound. Im glad for them and there loved ones. And they should not feel bad about what they said or did in front of the Cameras. They did what they had to do to get through it safe and sound.

But Im sorry to say this, but this is my view. But I was embarrassed when I saw the footage of them being released. Someone who was in charge or anyone there infact SHOULD OF GOT A GRIP OF THEM. It was bad the way they walked around waving like kids at the Iran cameras. Taking out there gifts and showing each other and then grovelling to the Iranian President. They should of shown there stiff upper lip there. I think some did, and they were the ones who should of had a word with the rest.

When they landed back home and where given there Uniforms on the plane and briefed up before they got off I thought someone's had a word and it should be different but it wasn't. They were still waiving and hugging each other on the runway. And the press should not of been on that camp. You can hug, kiss waive as much as you want when you meet your loved ones. But it should of been private.
SO19

Post by SO19 »

The feelings are mixed about this, yes I am glad they are home and safe, but like HCR, I think it's been an all round embarrasment and has not presented us very well at all. What happend to keeping yourself composed? And was it really necessary to ruffle eachother's hair? :o The whole media circus in the last 24 hours was also unecessary and unhelpfull, the whole return should have been done quietly and discreetly.

One big embarrasing mess in my opinion.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

Here's today's news conference with some of the captives:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/chec ... m=1&bbwm=1

Quote from Lieutenant Felix Carman:

"We were interrogated most nights and presented with two options. If we admitted we had strayed, we would be back on a plane to the UK pretty soon. If we didn't, we faced up to seven years in prison."

Sounds like a no-brainer to me!

Hopefully the journalist twats calling them wimps will f@#k off now.
HCR

Post by HCR »

Ive always been told you do anything to make life easier for yourself and if that means talking to a camera then so be it. Just dont give anything operational away and make it obvious your saying it under pressure. Thats what they did and no one can blame then for that.

I just wish they showed abit of composure when released. It was very unmilitary. But it easy for me to say it.

Regarding the Media. Whenever you go out on a patrol in say Iraq or Afghanistan and in the past N Ireland and so on. You were always told to sanitise yourself. Make sure that you have nothing what so ever on you that can link you to your Family i.e. photos, letters etc. So if you ever get captured they cant use your loved ones against you. Like telling you "we know where your kids live and if you dont cooperate we will harm them"

BUT WHATS THE POINT OF DOING THAT IF THE MEDIA ARE GOING TO TELL THE WORLD EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU :evil:
GreyWing

Post by GreyWing »

least the navy salvaged a bit of pride and came out the press conference better than when they went in, only slightly.

Alot was put on the editing by the iranian tv, which would explain alot apart from the big smile on the RN officer's face everytime he was on TV. Least the RM officer always caveated everything with the word "apparently".

Did anyone notice any of the RM's meeting Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, I only saw the sailors, just wondering if the Iranians didn't want to risk someone sticking one on him in front of the worlds media.

Although I might have missed it.
harry hackedoff

I`m sorry you two were embarrassed :roll:
Instead of looking at the Iran TV feed as though it was gospel I looked at each release they made with the jaundiced eye of a sceptic. We don`t know what was happening prior to the lads confessions for instance.
Early on in the piece I said they looked hungry as they were shown troughing in the first release. World tv audience shows Jack and Royal enjoying Iranian hospitality as the lads get stuck in. To my eyes it looked like the had been starved for a few daws prior.

Ref the release footage and saying sorry to Armoured Dinner Jakett, again you do not know what presures were being applied.
I`m not embarrassed in the least, given the possible outcomes I think they did well.
Here`s what the Defence News has to say, it`s a tad more ballanced than certain UKtv reports I have seen. Illustrious posted me a shortened version but this is the full monty.

And I quote
The 15 Royal Navy and Royal Marines personnel detained by Iran between 23 March and 5 April 2007 have made a public statement about their ordeal.
The personnel, eight from the Royal Navy and seven from the Royal Marines, arrived at Heathrow Airport in London at noon on Thursday 5 April 2007. They were then taken by two Royal Navy Sea King helicopters to a Royal Marine base Chivenor in Devon, where they were reunited with their families.
They spoke at press facility held at RMB Chivenor on Friday 7 April 2006, after a period of debriefing and decompression.
Captain Christopher Air RM and Lieutenant Felix Carman spoke on behalf of the group. The text of their statement is as below:
Captain Christopher Air, Royal Marines:
"Before we start this facility I would like to say a few words on behalf of every member of my team. Yesterday we were reunited with our families after a 14 day ordeal that none of us will forget. On arrival at London Heathrow we were given the news that 4 UK servicemen and a civilian interpreter had been killed in Iraq. We would like to pass on our thoughts and condolences to the families of those who died serving their country.
"We would also like to as a group to thank the staff of the British Embassy in Tehran and the Foreign Office and Ministry of defence for all their work in securing our release. We understand a great deal of effort has been going on behind the scenes to enable us to be returned to the UK and for that we are very grateful.
"We would also like to thank British Airways and London Heathrow for making our return so comfortable, quick and easy.
"Lastly I would like to thank the very many members of the Royal Navy and Royal Marines who have been working so hard over the last 2 weeks supporting our families and friends and for arranging our return to here."
"Let me make it absolutely clear, irrespective of what has been said in the past, when we were detained by the IRG we were inside internationally recognised Iraqi territorial waters and I can clearly state we were 1.7 nautical miles from Iranian waters."
Lieutenant Felix Carman, Royal Navy
Lieutenant Felix Carman, Royal Navy:
"On Friday 23 March I along with 14 of my colleagues were part of a routine boarding patrol. We deployed from HMS Cornwall in 2 x Rigid Inflatable Boats and patrolled into an area south of the Shatt Al Arab waterway. This was meant to be a routine boarding operation and followed approximately 66 similar such boarding's over the previous 4 weeks.
"We approached an unidentified merchant vessel that our supporting helicopter had identified as worth investigation. We carried out a completely compliant boarding with the full cooperation of the Master and crew. The RM secured the vessel and the RN element of the boarding party then arrived and commenced a thorough search of the ship. This was in complete accordance with our UN mandate and as part of an International Coalition.
"We were equipped with Xeres true navigational equipment and hand held GPS for backup. The helicopter in support provided continuous navigational confirmation and we were also linked to HMS CORNWALL who were monitoring our exact position at all times. Let me make it absolutely clear, irrespective of what has been said in the past, when we were detained by the IRG we were inside internationally recognised Iraqi territorial waters and I can clearly state we were 1.7 nautical miles from Iranian waters."

Chris:
"It was during the boarding that we noticed the helicopter had returned to 'Mother', and we started calling the ship on VHF to find out why. A short while later two speed boats were spotted approaching rapidly about 400 metres away.
"We were blindfolded, our hands were bound and we were forced up against a wall. Throughout our ordeal we faced constant psychological pressure."
"I ordered everyone to make their weapons ready and ordered the boarding party to return to the boats. By the time all were back on board, two Iranian boats had come alongside. One officer spoke good English and I explained that we were conducting a routine operation, as allowed under a UN mandate. But when we tried to leave, they prevented us by blocking us in. By now it was becoming increasingly clear that they had arrived with a planned intent. Some of the Iranian sailors were becoming deliberately aggressive and unstable. They rammed our boat and trained their heavy machine guns, RPGs and weapons on us.
"Another six boats were closing in on us. We realised that our efforts to reason with these people were not making any headway. Nor were we able to calm some of the individuals down. It was at this point that we realised that had we resisted there would have been a major fight, one we could not have won with consequences that would have had major strategic impact. We made a conscious decision to not engage the Iranians and do as they asked. They boarded our boats, removed our weapons and steered the boats towards the Iranian shore.
Felix:
"On arrival at a small naval base, we were blindfolded, stripped of all our kit and led to a room where I declared myself as the officer in charge and was introduced to a local commander.
"Two hours later we were moved to a second location and throughout the night were subjected to random interrogations. The questions were aggressive and the handling rough, but it was no worse than that.
"The following morning we were flown to Tehran and transported to a prison where the atmosphere changed completely. We were blindfolded, our hands were bound and we were forced up against a wall. Throughout our ordeal we faced constant psychological pressure.
"Later we were stripped and then dressed in pyjamas. The next few nights were spent in stone cells, approximately 8'x6', sleeping on piles of blankets. All of us were kept in isolation.
"We were interrogated most nights, and presented with two options. If we admitted we had strayed, we would be on a plane back to the UK soon. If we didn't we faced up to seven years in prison. We all at one time or another made a conscious decision to make a controlled release of non operational information.
"We were kept in isolation until the last few nights when we were allowed to gather for a few hours together, in the full glare of Iranian media.
"On day 12 we were taken to a Governmental complex blindfolded and then given three piece suits to wear. We watched the President's statement live on TV, and it was only then that we realise we were to be sent home. It goes without saying that there was a huge moment of elation. We were made to line up to meet the president, one at a time.
"Our team had seconds to make a decision and we believe that we made the right decision. We still believe this was the right thing to do."
Captain Christopher Air, Royal Marines
"My advice to everyone was not to mess this up now - we all wanted to get home. Afterwards - and still blindfolded - we were taken back to the hotel and for the first time met with UK representatives including the Ambassador before boarding our flight back to Heathrow."

Chris:
"In the short time we have been back we have not been able to see all that has been broadcast or written about our ordeal. We are aware that many people have questioned why we allowed ourselves to be taken in the first place and why we allowed ourselves to be shown by the Iranian authorities on television.
"Let me be absolutely clear, from the outset it was very apparent that fighting back was simply not an option. Had we chosen to do so then many of us would not be standing here today. Of that I have no doubts. The Iranian Navy did not turn up lightly armed; they came with intent, heavy weapons, and very quickly surrounded us. We were equipped, armed and had rules of engagement for boarding operations within Iraqi water. We were not prepared to fight a heavily armed force who it is our impression came out deliberately into Iraqi waters to take us prisoner. Reasoning with the Iranians was our only option. We tried. We did our utmost to de-escalate the situation, but our words fell on deaf ears. They had come with a clear purpose and were never going to leave without us.
"The Iranians are not our enemies. We are not at war with them. Our rules of engagement at that time stated that we could only use lethal force if we felt that we were in imminent danger of a loss of life. By the time the true intent of the Iranians had become apparent - and we could have legitimately fought back - it was too late for action. We were completely surrounded, and in addition to the loss of life, any attempted to fight back would caused a major international incident and an escalation of tension within the region. Our team had seconds to make a decision and we believe that we made the right decision. We still believe this was the right thing to do."
"We remain Immensely proud of our team. Their courage and dignity throughout their illegal detention was in line with the best tradition of the service."
Felix:
"Some have questioned why HMS CORNWALL did not provide greater protection for the team. HMS CORNWALL is there to guard the vital oil platforms and command the coalition forces. She is also the platform by where boarding teams can launch from and patrol out. Not only should she not have been closer to us but she physically could not have been, the water is simply too shallow. We are all immensely proud to be members of her crew and look forward to rejoining her.

"I would just like to stress 3 points at this stage
"When taken by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard we were well inside Iraqi territorial waters.
"The detention was clearly illegal and not a pleasant experience. We as a group held out for as long as we though appropriate. We then complied up to a point with our captors.
"We remain Immensely proud of our team. Their courage and dignity throughout their illegal detention was in line with the best tradition of the service.
"Throughout our ordeal we have tried to remain very much a team. No one individual should be singled out but we are now very aware of the special treatment singled out to Faye Turney. Faye is a young mother and wife. She volunteered to join the Royal Navy and is very proud to continue to serve. She is a highly professional operator and we are incredibly proud to have her as part of our team.
"The fact she is a women has been used as a propaganda tool by Iran. This is deeply regrettable. She is coming to terms with what has happened to her and not only Faye and her family but all of us are finding the press focus very uncomfortable and difficult and specifically request that you give all of us the space and privacy we need when we return to our homes."

The Andrew are having a re-think on the ROE and they have mainly two options as I see it. Either stop searching vessels in the northern gulf or start getting very heavy with search teams covered by adequate force. Do the Iranians intend to escalate? Because that is the likely outcome.