Share This Page:

Sexual Harrassment in the Forces 'a widespread problem'

Forums Announcements, News & Media Articles along with current home and international affairs.
myss

Sexual Harrassment in the Forces 'a widespread problem'

Post by myss »

LONDON (Reuters) - The Ministry of Defence (MoD) agreed an urgent plan on Thursday to tackle sexual harassment in the armed forces after admitting it was a serious and widespread problem.
Independent research found that 99 percent of servicewomen had been in situations in the previous year where "sexualised behaviour", ranging from jokes to assaults, had taken place.

"As this report sets out, there are serious issues we need to address," Defence Secretary Des Browne said in a statement.

Around eight percent of the armed forces are women, with the highest proportion, 8.9 percent, in the Royal Air Force.

The survey was carried out following a deal last June with the Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC) which agreed in return to suspend a formal investigation into sexual harassment in the armed forces.

The research found 15 percent of the 9,384 respondents said they had suffered a "particularly upsetting" experience and 67 percent had personally been on the receiving end of sexualised behaviour.

More than half found the behaviour offensive.

The MoD said it had agreed to put new measures in place to deal with the problem.

It promised an improved complaints procedure, after many servicewomen said they were dissatisfied with the current one, and vowed to cut the overall number of reports of unwanted sexual behaviour.

"It is clear from the research we have conducted that we have a problem with which we must deal urgently," said Air Chief Marshal Jock Stirrup, Chief of the Defence Staff.

Acknowledging there was a problem was an important first step.

"This is not about political correctness," he said. "Our success as armed forces depends fundamentally on respect, trust and mutual interdependence.

"Anything that weakens those bonds of trust and respect weakens us as a fighting force. Harassment does just that, so it is crucial that we deal with it."

The EOC said it would monitor the ministry's progress until June 2008 when it will decide whether further action is needed.

"The MoD has undertaken valuable research to discover the true extent of the issues it faces, and we welcome the leadership and determination that they have shown to tackle the problem," said EOC chairman Jenny Watson.

http://go.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jht ... GetContent
flo

Post by flo »

What a load of b*llocks. Lets face facts how many men would go running to the Co and complain of sexual harrassment. If they did and they compared the figures they would see that it is banter and on an even keel. Obviously those who made complaints werent strong enough to be in whats is still a predominantly mans world. If you join the forces be prepared to stand your ground.

And im talking from experience.
Friendship is like peeing in your pants,
everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth!!
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Without seeing the entire poll, it's hard to say for sure, but the examples they use are tragically bad representations of statistics:
Independent research found that 99 percent of servicewomen had been in situations in the previous year where "sexualised behaviour", ranging from jokes to assaults, had taken place.
Clearly not neccessarily sexualised behaviour directed at them, however, see below. In fact, if you can show me someone who over the course of a year does not hear a cock joke or see some form of 'sexualised behaviour', I can show you a hermit or a liar. That statistic is meaningless, and should be 100%.
67 percent had personally been on the receiving end of sexualised behaviour.
This statistic is also meaningless unless a similar survey for men in the Forces found that significantly less than 67% had been on the receving end of 'sexualised behaviour', by the above definition (ie jokes). I find this unlikely.
The research found 15 percent of the 9,384 respondents said they had suffered a "particularly upsetting" experience
That's a pretty small percentage who seem to be actually disturbed by the event.
More than half found the behaviour offensive.
More than half, in statistic-speak, generally meaning between 50-60%. So that's a little under 50% who either didn't find it offensive or didn't care one way or the other.
Finally...
of the 9,384 respondents
The real question is who were the respondents. Were 9,384 servicewomen polled? I suspect not, considering the uneven number. Survey was either a random sample, where EG 100 people are polled and all reply, or more likely sent out to all servicewomen and those who wished to replied. In which case, the number who did not reply at all must be taken into account. Taking the above figures of 8% of forces being women:

104,000 Army
26,000 RN
49,000 RAF = 179,000 total, 8% of which 14,300.

So if the survey polled all servicewomen, only 66% replied in the first place.

Hardly reliable statistics.
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

I recently put in a complaint about sexual harassment... I want to be harrassed 8)
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
flo

Post by flo »

ooooooh show us yer bits :wink:

There you go you have been officially sexually harrassed. :o
Friendship is like peeing in your pants,
everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth!!
myss

Post by myss »

Very true Sarastro, that figure should be 100% unless you happen to be in a single sex dept or working entirely on your own. Seems like the MoD are blowing a small issue out of proportion, and there will probably be some willing to take advantage of it to gain a big payout for something minor.

Of course, anyone crossing the mark needs to be severely dealt with and I've experienced that myself. Although I did not report it, a threat of having the chair they were sitting on wrap round their neck seemed to give the orificer in question the idea that the mark had been well and truly crossed (and noticed so from others). And that was that, issue done with and we are friends now. Sticky - I can give you a demo of this 'crossed-mark' if you wish :D just for knowledge purposes of course.

Right, off to pop a look at Question Time... since Geoff Hoon is appearing and I would love to see him given a verbal if not physical harassment of an oh-so different kind :wink:
Tab

Post by Tab »

It seems that once they want to leave the army then sexual harassment case appears. They quote incidents that happened years ago and that were never reported. They go to a tribunal pick up a sack of cash and a discharge and waltz of into civvy street laughing there heads off
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

It seems that once they want to leave the army then sexual harassment case appears. They quote incidents that happened years ago and that were never reported. They go to a tribunal pick up a sack of cash and a discharge and waltz of into civvy street laughing there heads off
Worked for me in my gay harassment case :roll:

Oooh, is that the time, yawn 8)
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
goreD.

Post by goreD. »

Litigation being what it is someone will always complain or be offended.

I am against females being in or directly working alongside the 'teeth arm' of the Armed Forces.

I believe that it is bad for morale.

There is nothing worse than being away from your loved one.
Seeing females with guys around them likes flies round poo.
You being loyal and knowing someone else is getting their end away... etc.

Keep them away unless they are nurses or doctors etc.

Gore.
Mexican bandit, "Badges?! We don't need no stinking badges....."
Major Kong, "Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in vegas with all that stuff....."
Gore, "The first casualty of war is your underpants....."
myss

Post by myss »

Would prefer having gay men (and women?) instead? That wouldn't jeopardise your viewpoint.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

goreD. wrote:Litigation being what it is someone will always complain or be offended.

I am against females being in or directly working alongside the 'teeth arm' of the Armed Forces.

I believe that it is bad for morale.

There is nothing worse than being away from your loved one.
Seeing females with guys around them likes flies round poo.
You being loyal and knowing someone else is getting their end away... etc.

Gore.
No offence, you've been there and I haven't, but that's complete bullshit. There are plenty of things which are bad for morale, but are tolerated because it would be either impossible or utterly fascistic to regulate against them. Besides, you disapprove of women complaining about mild sexual harrassment, then suggest that they should be denied a job in case some bloke complains it makes him feel homesick?

Some servicewomen need get the f@#k over it and deal with the cock jokes; some servicemen need to get the f@#k over it and deal with women being around. Everyone else in the world manages it.