Share This Page:

Women wearing the maroon beret!!!

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

It's odd bcuz to the outsider who doesn't know about these things, it looks like women can be paras too, and that's not on.
Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

jay999 wrote:my guess is they were attached either to reme or provost. I think its the same for the marines :lol: they have commando batteries f RA who wear the green lid.
It's true that RA commandoes wear the green lid, but it's a job open to males only. RA also have a para unit that wear the cherry beret, but again, men only. The maroon beret is worn by everyone in an airbourne unit, or so I thought. (I'm sure i'll be corrected if I'm wrong) just as everyone wanting to join a commando unit has to first earn their green lid by passing the commando tests.
But only paras themselves get the cap badge.
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
got1

Post by got1 »

Why is it that NON para's are the one's that seem to get so upset about a NON parachutist wearing our beret? WE know the who's who, so don't let it worry the rest.
ps In any case if you want one , just do P Coy.
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

got1 wrote:Why is it that NON para's are the one's that seem to get so upset about a NON parachutist wearing our beret? WE know the who's who, so don't let it worry the rest.
ps In any case if you want one , just do P Coy.
Not that it's that important to me, I'm just curious, but do the women do P company as well, as I didn't think they did..
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
CheesePossessed

Post by CheesePossessed »

No.
the skeavster

Post by the skeavster »

so i shouldn't be dreaming of a maroon beret, i should be dreaming of the para wings, noted.

Could come in handy during the insight course, u never know.

Cheers beers

Skeav
that's your favourite!
CheesePossessed

Post by CheesePossessed »

You should still be dreaming of the maroon lid. It's what automatically signifies you as a paratrooper, regardless of the women and pie munching dross that get casually issued it. It's been 17 years since I earned mine and the memories of rushing to "Victors" in Aldershot and purchasing my first leather banded maroon beret will stay with me forever. Ahhh happy days :D
got1

Post by got1 »

There was always members of the Parachute Regiment bands who were not para trained. They I believed joined as bandsmen as a trade. Those with there wings up obviously had done P Coy.
I did see a band the other day with three women in it, they were all wearing the maroon beret, it would look a bit silly if they had been wearing anything else.
ps incase somebody "jumps" in, the women did have a uniform on as well.
Tab

Post by Tab »

When I was in the Regiment all the members of the band had been through P Company and had also been trained as Medics. The Para's was the only Regiment at that time who used to arm it's medics, one for self protection and the other to protect the wounded.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: