Share This Page:

Para Tats question

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
jpduk

Para Tats question

Post by jpduk »

Hi all, just a quick question, thought I would post it in the elite section, I have been toying with the idea of getting a tat of the para wings with the words dad on it as my dad was in the paras . I would surprise him with it. However would this be frowned upon as being waltish. I'm not trying to be anything I'm not I know u guys are funny about this. It would probably be under clothing as some places we go the paras are not very welcome & this is the last thing u want on display

Thanks for the advice
Tab

Re: Para Tats question

Post by Tab »

If he was in the Para's he is entitled to wear his wings and beret.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Tab, he's asking if it would be considered bad form to get a para wings tattoo on himself, because it's his dad who was a para. I'm guessing he isn't and has no intention of being one...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Tab

Post by Tab »

Tats of wings on you could get you a mouthful of knuckles unless you have earned them
RichiJC

Post by RichiJC »

I can sympathise with you here. My dad is also an ex-para and I wanted my first tattoo to be something to commemorate him. I myself am currently in application to the paras, but there was still no way in hell that I was going to get wings tattooed on me, even if it symbolises my father and not me.

In the end I settled on getting 'Utrinque Paratus' tattooed in a small font across the top of my shoulder. And even then I'm still careful about who sees it. People can get quite funny about seeing regimental mottos or symbols on someone who they feel doesn't have the right to wear them, even if they are in commemoration.

Obviously you can do with tattoos what you wish, however my suggestion to you would be that if you are dead set on getting a para tattoo, don't get the wings with 'Parachute Regiment - Utrinque Paratus' across the top and bottom tattooed across your arm or back, which is what lots of para lads have. Get a small discreet variation, such as an alternative Pegasus symbol, or some parachute regiment quotes, just be sure to avoid Colchester nights out like the plague.
ofens

Post by ofens »

My dad was a Royal Marine, I am not, but have great respect for them and some good friends there.
However I wouldn't dream of getting a RM tattoo. Terrible idea.
If you want a Dad tattoo, maybe design something that has a reference to the para wings, but no actual para badges?
It would be sad if you got a permanent tattoo that only caused you grief every time someone saw it.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]