Share This Page:

pegasus an cap badge

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Notton18

pegasus an cap badge

Post by Notton18 »

hey,
ive been searching an searching all over the net to find the history behind pegasus an the cap badge i mean how did it come about
the reason why im asking is because i have my final interview with the senior recruiter next tuesday an i want to know everything
so if anyone knows any information like...
when was the cap badge formed?
why is bellephron riding pegasus the emblem?
just absolutely everything that will give me brownie points in my interview
thank you
notton
Tab

Re: pegasus an cap badge

Post by Tab »

The Pegasus badge was designed by boy Browning who became one of the Generals in the Airborne and I think he also designed the cap badge. He was the son of a famous woman author of that period.
Walter Kovacks

Post by Walter Kovacks »

I don't know the exact reason for the Pegasus emblem being chosen, but it would appear that as Bellerophon was a great hero, slayer of monsters and was mounted on Pegasus it seems appropriate that he is symbolic of Airborne warriors.
As to how or why the winged parachute is the cap badge, the Paras had no regimental history as such to work from. Therefore they had a blank canvas to work on and come up with something. Seemed to have worked!
Tab

Re: Pegasus an cap badge

Post by Tab »

General Browning if I remember rightly was a classical scholar so to have a badge with Bellerophon riding into battle on his winged horse sounds appropriate. The Cap Badge well that is just common sense as one flew into battle hence the wings and dropped by parachute and then on top of the chute you have the Army lion standing on the kings or queens crown
Notton18

Post by Notton18 »

thanks guys , much appreciated
notton