Share This Page:

US Honours Para

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Tab

US Honours Para

Post by Tab »

COLCHESTER-BASED para has been given a rare honour for his bravery in helping wounded US Marines in Afghanistan.
Lance Corporal Stephen Lewis, of 2nd Battalion, the Parachute Regiment, has been given a coveted American military honour for helping of five marines injured in a bomb blast in Helmand province.

The 33-year-old para gave the marines first aid at the scene, organised their rescue and protected them from further Taleban attacks.

He was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal at a ceremony at Merville Barracks, Colchester, yesterday.

Major Timothy Wernimont, of the US Marines’ 2nd Air-Naval Gunfire Liaison Company, presented L/Cpl Lewis with the medal.

He said: “This medal is given to our marines when they have done something extraordinary, or above and beyond expectation.

“It is without question that L/Cpl Lewis has met these criteria.”

L/Cpl Lewis, from Gateshead, said: “When the bomb exploded, I just did what was needed without thinking. We train hard so we know what to do in these situations and I just did my job, as did others that day.”

This is not the first time L/Cpl Lewis’s bravery has been commended.

He was mentioned in despatches in 2008 for pushing forward to protect injured comrades after an ambush in Afghanistan.
timex

Re: US Honours Para

Post by timex »

Nice to see the Anglico guys doing the presentation. Good effort from your Para.
Amphibian

Post by Amphibian »

Good effort Para! :)
"Chin up, crack on"
Ryan1990

Post by Ryan1990 »

THIS is why im trying to join the parachute regiment! makes me proud to have a family history in the reg too.