Share This Page:

jobs after the paras

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
ParaToBe

jobs after the paras

Post by ParaToBe »

If you go into the paras then e.g. you leave after 5,10,20 years what jobs are there to do when you come out? The afco i spoke to said there is nothing to do other than either personal protection or bouncer(or something like that)....is that all you can do afterwards? What jobs could you get?
IT WILL COME!

81 press ups in 2minutes.
royals

killer

Post by royals »

Let's be honest about stuff. Mate, what are you hopping to do afterward ?
People that fail in life are those that didn't realise how close they were to their success when they gave-up...
ParaToBe

Post by ParaToBe »

I dno, if i do get in the paras i am planning to stay in for aslong as possible. Was just curious, especially since my parents are constantly asking what is it doesn't go to plan and you leave say after 10 years what you going to do then with no qualifications or anything, i just want to know. I was being honest, what were you trying to get at?
IT WILL COME!

81 press ups in 2minutes.
got1

Re: jobs after the paras

Post by got1 »

[quote="ParaToBe"]If you go into the paras then e.g. you leave after 5,10,20 years what jobs are there to do when you come out? The afco i spoke to said there is nothing to do other than either personal protection or bouncer(or something like that)....is that all you can do afterwards? What jobs could you get?[/quote]

It's not what jobs you can get, it's what job can you do.
Just the same as in civie street.
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Surely you'd have just the same options as you did prior to joining? If not more, it would be wrong to think all come out of the Armed forces and become, security workers, doormen etc. (though a lot may do just that)

In my opinion its up to you and what you want (and for the most part are qualified) to do... Police man, Shop worker, pub landlord, exotic dancer :-? options are endless.

I'd also say that you may find what you want changes considerably during the next few years anyways... new commitments, interests all shape you in various ways.

I for instance can't stand the thought of working behind a desk, but after I’ve become a Marine seen the world done this and that, who knows I may decide to settle down, start a family and work as a clerk... I’d never plan too but life never goes as planed.

All the best

Stokey
Tab

Post by Tab »

Life it what you make of it....Find a job that interests you and go for it, but you have to sell your self to to your future employer to get it, and don't harp on about the army as that is in the past.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

You have to prepare for life outside. Take some courses that get you qualified for civi street. Open University course are good for your GCSES and possibly a degree. As you go up the ladder look to get your management skills recognised as civilian qualifications. Take anything the army offers you. Adventure training quals are good too.
DONT THINK ANYONE WILL BE IMPRESSED YOU HAVE DONE TIME IN THE ARMY WHEN YOU LEAVE.
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
royals

Post by royals »

MSI64 wrote:You have to prepare for life outside. Take some courses that get you qualified for civi street. Open University course are good for your GCSES and possibly a degree. As you go up the ladder look to get your management skills recognised as civilian qualifications. Take anything the army offers you. Adventure training quals are good too.
DONT THINK ANYONE WILL BE IMPRESSED YOU HAVE DONE TIME IN THE ARMY WHEN YOU LEAVE.
Plan or get in and get out to be a street boy (dick head) no employer will listen to you without certain qualification @poster...I'll always be my owen boss when i get out of the Army, life is all about planning and courage to move one step further in the midst of trouble
People that fail in life are those that didn't realise how close they were to their success when they gave-up...
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

royals wrote:
MSI64 wrote:You have to prepare for life outside. Take some courses that get you qualified for civi street. Open University course are good for your GCSES and possibly a degree. As you go up the ladder look to get your management skills recognised as civilian qualifications. Take anything the army offers you. Adventure training quals are good too.
Plan or get in and get out to be a street boy (dick head) no employer will listen to you without certain qualification @poster...I'll always be my owen boss when i get out of the Army, life is all about planning and courage to move one step further in the midst of trouble
even being your own boss needs skills I hope your not thinking you will come out and just fall into your own company those people are few and far between.
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
Tab

Post by Tab »

Out of about 120 men I served with in my company I am still in touch with about a 100 of them, yet nearly every one has done well for them selfs in civiy street.
timex

Post by timex »

You can do anything you want when or before you leave, I know at least 6 ex Para guys who are commercial Pilots...and another handfull working to get their licenses sorted.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

timex prob all ruperts when in eh? ;o) all i can say is - and not biased
you do that course(p-coy) and stick out a few years with the 'characters' you will meet , you will absorb and put to good use all that you learn. im ex para reg ableit TA but had many a shenanigans with the regular nut jobs. b4 i joined i was ok but run of the mill jobswise. went in and it teaches you how to handle ya sen. im now my own boss workin in structural steel - life is good for me. id employ another bloke but im a greedy tw*t - but only other bloke id employ would be a grafter moulded from the system (i.e ex forces)
'Every man an Emperor'
timex

Post by timex »

Gunner, nope no Ruperts at all. All of them were Cpls' when they started flying and now well up the promotion ladder. Couple are Instructors, another flies Airbus out in the Far East as a Capt.