Share This Page:

Just two questions

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Richard

Just two questions

Post by Richard »

I just passed my interview today! i just wanted to no how to train myself to get a good score on the static lift, i have never done this exercise before..

My second question is about the SA80 assualt rifle. Is it true its only built for a right handed user because on the RM eye exam you need to have good eye sight with your right eye, i dont no what number you need but its greater then the number for your left!

Thx, Rick
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Yes SA80 is only right handed, call it bad drills but i find it easier to fire from the left sholder when leaning out the window and firing 90o to the right. The rifle is only right handed because if you fire from the left solder you have brass wizzing past and into the front of your face. Theres little point buying converted rifles to suit left handers. Plus at least in a fire team one guy in the middle dosnt have 2 lots of bass going down his jacket.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

was always an issue with me, a right handed weapon. As a young un I'd go shooting with relatives and shoot from left shoulder and aim with left eye as it was a lot stronger than the right. However I'd get frustrated on APWT as even though I'd pass I knew Id of got better using the left eye to aim. I always wondered if they ever had left handed weapons - appears not.
'Every man an Emperor'
Hostage_Negotiator

Post by Hostage_Negotiator »

Both the A1 & A2 were available in LH format in very small numbers, they were normally purchased at Unit Expense and were much harder to obtain due to availability and cost!
Most units opted to just teach everyone to shoot righthanded as weapons then remained transferable and usable by any trained person on the battlefield!
Haven't seen one in a long time so they may not be producing them anymore!
There was a RAF Regt Instructor at Newton who attempted to fire a RH weapon LH and was rewarded with a mangled face from meeting the cocking handle and ejected round at high speed!
"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."
mm1306

Post by mm1306 »

Some guy on the cover of soldier magazine a few months back had a left handed SA-80 so they do exist but probably only for colonels etc.