Share This Page:

Pathfinders

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
UtrinqueParatus

Post by UtrinqueParatus »

When in your career do you do junior and senior brecon and whats included in the course?
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Juniors - For Lance Corporals getting promoted to Corporals

Seniors - For Corporals getting promoted to Sergeants.

Worry about them when the time is nearer :wink:
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
UtrinqueParatus

cheers chris
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Whos chris ? :lol:
UtrinqueParatus

sorry forgot i was on military forums not MFAT i thought i was replying to someone else
SO19

Post by SO19 »

No problems Fred.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Leave it out Dave.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

P*ss off bob!
BigStevie

Post by BigStevie »

Could've been worse - he could have called you Rupert.....
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

BigStevie wrote:Could've been worse - he could have called you Rupert.....
Nah, wait until he gets to Sandhurst first!! :o

Even worse, Joe!! :lol:
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Getting called Joe by a civvy wannabe....now thats where i draw the line!
OrganDonor

Pathfinder Selection...

Post by OrganDonor »

The Pathfinder Platoon, the advance force for 16 Air Assault Brigade, has an established strength of 40. The Bde Comd would like to expand this, however- the Pl is currently under strength.
In the past, recruiting was purely from within the Parachute Regiment- or at least, from within Airborne Forces... now it is an All Arms unit with the majority from the Maroon Machine.

Selection is open to any serving male & consists of a 5-week Selection Course, run twice a year from Sennybridge. It assesses a soldiers ability for Advance Force operations, with all aspects taught on it. The Cadre is broken into 5 Phases:

APTITUDE PHASE- 1st Aid; HF Comms; Mountain Safety & Map Reading. You will complete an 8mile ICFT with 35lb bergen & weapon in under 2hrs; 8miler with 55lb bergen & weapon in under 1hr 34mins; a 2mile ICFT with 35lb webbing, daysack, weapon, wearing a helmet- in under 17mins 30secs; a 10miler with 45lb bergen & weapon in under 1hr 45mins.

WELSH HILLS PHASE- 3 days of Tabbing in small patrols of 4-6 men, navigating 20-30kms per day. On the 4th day are the test marches, the first 3 covering 20-26kms with 40-45lb bergens, then a final Endurance March of 60km with 50lbs within 20hrs.

SOP PHASE- At this stage you will be taught Pathfinder SOP's like advanced signals, first aid, selecting LUP's, OP's & CTR's. At the end of this is excercise FIRST TRY... assessing lessons learned & suitability.

RANGE WEEK- basic range work, lead scout IA drills, contacts, patrolling.

FINAL EXCERCISE- This is conducted as if on actual Ops, recieving orders, acting on intel & conducting OPs, CTRs, RVs, on a 6-day excercise.

If you are accepted you will be on a 12month Probationary period, during this time you will complete the following courses:
MFF (HALO, HAHO); C&S RTI (now known as TQ- Tactical Questioning); Comms (long range HF, Satcom, ground-to-air UHF & VHF); Mobility training; advanced medical training; Air Cadre (Heli Abseiling/Fast Roping, Recce & marking DZs & LZs); Continuation SOP training & Sniper Training.

Selection is not as difficult as UKSF & the Pl is a good stepping stone towards this, as many of the SOPs & even the structure is very similar.

Grimey Vibes

Post by Grimey Vibes »

Yeah cheers, won't be handing my chit for selection...............Thats honking!!!!!
Get on "PARADE"

"You drill like a bad hip-hop artist, MC Miss A Beat"
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Yeah it's not fun, but it's worth it if you pass. Organ Donor, where did you get that info from? Most of it is surprisingly accurate.
OrganDonor

Post by OrganDonor »

Greenronnie wrote:Yeah it's not fun, but it's worth it if you pass. Organ Donor, where did you get that info from? Most of it is surprisingly accurate.

I should have put an acknowledgement to the 'Pegasus Journal' for most of the info on Selection... from about 200, I think...?

I'm wondering if Para Reservists can still apply? I know of one guy from 10Para (as was) who passed selection & joined the unit, in the late 90's, I believe...

Something to think of after Afghan'08.

The only thing neccessary for Evil to succeed is for Good men to do nothing...