Share This Page:

Paras or marines??

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Scouse_liam

Paras or marines??

Post by Scouse_liam »

I have been wanting to join the forces since a left school but i was a 4ft twig. am now 21 and ready to go in. i have always said am going in the marines, but i keep getting drawn to the paras. can some one tell me what its like in training and the process i will go through from the start. thanks very much lads
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

As i said in the PM, have a look at The Paras series from back in the day. Its old but its a good insight into what it takes to be a paratrooper.

As for joining the royal marines, only you can make that choice. do you like water? :P
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Airborne Legend

Post by Airborne Legend »

Also, do you want to stay with one battalion and settle there or do you want to get moved round every couple of years?
There is no fear, there is only the force.

Do or do not, there is no try.
davo141

Post by davo141 »

there are some drafts where you stay for a prolonged period of time and it is also possibly if you take a fancy to a gash unit (like clr :wink: ) you can stay there because people sell there mothers to get out of it!!

theres also that programme on tele - commando - on the front line to watch whilst your watching the Para version.

Depends if you like hights or water more, still an oppertunity to get your wings in the corps in several different sq's!
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
fatcobra

Post by fatcobra »

Paratrooper 01,please could you post the name or link of that para series I'd really like to watch it. thanks.
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

Do you prefer the wind brushing through your hair, or seaweed. I wanted to wash every day so I went for the RM *dangles his fishing line in the pond* :lol:

Seriously though, it's only you who can make the decision. It's pretty much down to personal preference as, from what I can tell, everyone ends up trawling through the sand at some point.

*now before anyone actually gets offended, take it as a jibe, sheesh.
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Washing's for hats! :lol:

If you'd rather be gungy, join the Reg! You know it makes sense!
Patrick

Para's Marines Choices Choices

Post by Patrick »

The Parachute Regiment is usually over subscribed to the hilt and the Royal Marines, the regiment I'm bidding for, has one of the highest failure rates for potential recruits passing out.

There's loads of guy's who are signing up just because they're tied of civvy life. I can only speak as a would be RM but I would've thought that you need to more than want it with these regiments to stand any chance of making it, so I would say go with your gut instinct which is sort of courting you towards the para's.

Good luck whatever you settle on.
Scouse_liam

Post by Scouse_liam »

Thanks very much lads. Am not joing beacuse am tired of civvy life, am doing it beacuse i want to. A want the life style yous have and the adreniline rushes.
davo141

Post by davo141 »

id be surpised if the parachute regiment where over subscribed due to casualty rates on herrick and the distinct gap in manning levels through out the armed forces and tri service!

i may well be wrong though and if i am im surpised and i must offer my congratulations!
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
SandyTheGuvnor

Re: Para's Marines Choices Choices

Post by SandyTheGuvnor »

Patrick wrote:The Parachute Regiment is usually over subscribed to the hilt and the Royal Marines, the regiment I'm bidding for, has one of the highest failure rates for potential recruits passing out.
Para Reg has the highest failure rate of all.
Things you feel like doing after being hit in the liver :
-Vomitting
-Suffocating
-Shitting yourself
-Passing out
-Crying for your mummy
-Stop taking part in any kind of violent sport.......
Illustrious

Re: Para's Marines Choices Choices

Post by Illustrious »

SandyTheGuvnor wrote:
Para Reg has the highest failure rate of all.
Correction, I have the highest failure rate... on a friday night down the pub :cry: :cry:
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

^Hehe.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Seraph wrote:^Hehe.
What the f@#k is that supposed to mean?

Take a look at the wise words sticky, you might learn a thing or two.

viewtopic.php?t=17518
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Patrick

Para's Marines Choices Choices

Post by Patrick »

The Parachute Regiment is very sought after and if that's what the guy want's then he should follow his ambition. That's just my opinion. While never having served in either regiment, I can't speak with any authority on actual numbers passing out and manning positions so I'll have to take Sandy's word on that. I know every RM troop is full of guys who think they've got what it takes at the beginging but the troop photo usually tells a different story at the end.

I can't figure out what the other guy was saying? It sounds like you were slateing fallen para's with their 'casualty rates'? I thought that was a little disingenuous of you. I might have completely misunderstood you? What are you trying to congratulate? I honestly don't know what that means!

Good luck down at CTC anyway.