Share This Page:

Archbishop's charity parachute jump to be rescheduled

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Tuesday 27 May 2008

The Archbishop of York, John Sentamu, has been forced to abandon his charity parachute jump due to bad weather. The parachute jump will now take place on Friday 6 June 2008 at Langar Airfield, Nottingham.

The Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu
(right) with Major Nick Vischer of the Red
Devils parachute display team at Langar
Airfield in Nottinghamshire taken by John
Giles/ PA

Dr Sentamu was to jump from 12,500ft with the Parachute Regiment's Red Devils team to raise money for families of soldiers injured in Afghanistan.

But organisers at Langar Airfield in Nottinghamshire were forced to call off the jump this morning amid strong winds, driving rain and low cloud.

Dr Sentamu said: "It's just like somebody who has been training for a match and is told "Sorry mate, the match is off". But we know we are going to come back. I was ready, but we needed to be able to see!"

He added: "I am going to take the training video home to see it, but I am ready. We now know another soldier has died in Afghanistan and it would have been good to have done something today but we will come back."

"The important thing is that the public get behind the appeal and take the opportunity to ease the financial burden on these brave people who have already given so much. If everyone sponsors me even just a small amount then it will make a huge difference."

The Archbishop had planned the jump after meeting Yorkshire businessman Guy Brudenell at a charity dinner. They hope to raise £50,000 for the Afghanistan Trust, a charity that supports the families of paratroopers from 3rd Battalion, the Parachute Regiment, who have been wounded or killed whilst serving in Afghanistan.

Dr Sentamu said he was supporting the Parachute Regiment in memory of Lieutenant Colonel 'H' Jones, who was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross for his bravery at the Battle of Goose Green in the Falklands conflict.

A website in support of the trust can be viewed at www.afghanistantrust.org
http://www.archbishopofyork.org/1830
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Gnarls Barkley larging it in a Freds jumpsuit, chopsy fooker! :lol:

'Kin good looking chap!!!
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Greenronnie wrote:Gnarls Barkley larging it in a Freds jumpsuit, chopsy fooker! :lol:

'Kin good looking chap!!!
He'll fit right in then! :P :lol:
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.