Share This Page:

Parachute Reg Books

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
faddius

Parachute Reg Books

Post by faddius »

I'm looking to get my hands on some good books on the Paras. Really looking for a definitive history book along the lines of The Royal Marines: From Sea Soldiers To A Special Force by Julian Thompson.

Recently read the 3 Para book and the General Sir Mike Jackson autobiography both great reads.

Thanks

James
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Para!: Fifty Years of the Parachute Regiment by Peter Harclerode is where you should begin if you want an authorative history on the Parachute Regiment.

Keep an eye out for a sticky on Para books.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Also try The PARAS: Inside Story of the Britain's Toughest Regiment by John Parker.

I found it to be really well written and gives a good account of the Paras history from it's conception to the present day (or at least to the end of the nineties).

There's also plenty of books which are personal accounts of life in the Paras too which I always feel are great to give you a sense of what the Regiment is really like for the individual blokes who serve.
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

not really going into the history but try 3 para by patrick bishop from their tour in afghan 06 bloody good read
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
got1

Post by got1 »

Bgd Alister Pearson.
Good read, if I can find it I'll send it to you. May be a bit biased on my part as I knew him.
jcclimber

Paras

Post by jcclimber »

I read the 3 Para book by Bishop while out in Kenya-good read but picked up a number of errors that could have been better edited.I got the feeling that it was published in a rush. All the same, interesting story and good for blokes like me who never went out the last time.
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Green Devils-Red Devils by Edmund L Blandford. History and personal accounts of German and Brit Paras in WW2.

Not exactly Para Regt, but The Devils Own Luck is a good read, by a gliderborne guy that took part in the Peggy Bridge raid, plus subsequent operations until the end of the war.
faddius

Post by faddius »

Thanks guys :D The above reading coupled with SO19's very comprehensive :o Parachute Regiment/Airborne Forces booklist viewtopic.php?p=202332#202332 should certianly keep me out of trouble for a few weeks/months :oops:
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Would liked to have merged this thread with mine, but don't have the option. If you would be so kind just to migrate over gents. 8)
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Scouting For Boys, thanks Ronnie :wink:
Really helped me understand the 3 Para Mortars Selection Process 8)
No wonder you have an open invite 8)

Is that your soap by the way? :-?
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]