Share This Page:

Trainasium

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

SandyTheGuvnor wrote:
Sarastro wrote:That bloke in the last pic is going again, no way he's landing on two feet from the mirage jump.
well thats the 1st time i have ever heard the illusion jump called the mirage jump maybe i am doing my trainasium briefs wrong
Or I wasn't listening well enough when you did, couldn't remember the exact name for the thing.
STAND UP HOOK UP

Post by STAND UP HOOK UP »

good photos, when did they put safety nets on the tranasium? would have saved my mate a bust leg i suppose? the kids used to run all over the one in the shot ? was that the reason they moved it in doors to the depot? was still in at the time but cant remember why it was moved.
Sisko

Post by Sisko »

Hey all, my first time here :) lol.

I've been thinking of joining the Para's, but....get ready for this now.....I don't do too well at heights. A crazy combination isn't it?? Having a problem with heights but thinking of joining the paras :)

Well, the trainasium looks an interesting challenge. If anything can help a person conquer fears of heights, i'm sure this can. I've looked at those pics and they look great. I'd love to join the Para's but....i don't have alot of support from the rents if you get my meaning :( Plus, i'm finishing a degree and my mother is of the opinion "wtf do you want a degree for only to join the army??"

Anyway, does anyone know of a person who HAS beat their height fears, and managed to join the paras?? Or would i be a crazy first person to think of trying such a thing??

Cheers guys :)
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Yeah I know someone! Me! ... and a few others on my battalion! It aint normal jumping out of a plane and personally it struck the fear of god into me all the way till exiting the aircraft. but when you 'arrive' on the dz the adrenaline kicks in and you want to fight! thats a buzz!
Anyway unless your first out of the plane there isnt much time to take in the view so all that goes into your head is follow the drills and trust in your equipment...then you land!
'Every man an Emperor'
Airborne Legend

Post by Airborne Legend »

Don't wory about heights mate, there's a sh*tload of blokes in the Paras who don't really like heights. There's an even greater percentage who don't really like getting shot at! But they all have the mental strength and professionalism to get the job done regardless. No reason why you should be any different.
Also, if your Dad's got a problem with you 'wasting' your degree, join as a officer. He's just falling into the trap of believing that everyone in the army is too thick and thuggish to do anything else. We do this job because there's nothing like it. If you get in you'll meet some seriously intellient guys, we have to be, the amount of technology and responsibility that even the lowliest tom gets thrust upon him would make your average middle management muppet shit himself.
By the way, I've got a degree, didn't do me any harm :)
There is no fear, there is only the force.

Do or do not, there is no try.
Sully

Post by Sully »

That's just about spot on. Couldn't put it better. There aren't too many fellas around that relish all of that stuff but there are enough who can just block it out and crack on.

I can only speak from RM experience but I remember a yomp across Crib Gough in Snowdonia when I was told by the ML (as I was reasonably comfortable up there) to bring up the rear behind one of the lads who was having a bit of an epic. After watching him slithering along the ridge for a while I starts to think "Hmm...it could be a bit dodgy up here" and didn't really enjoy the view after that - it's all in the head. I was shocked at how his lack of confidence got to me.

The RM has a course called the Endurance course and one of the obstacles (the smartie tube) is a gopping little concrete tube underground and mostly submerged. Running the course you dive down it and push through it, holding your breath when the wake from the man in front comes over your head. A few years later I found myself bimbling past it and thought "who'd do that :o " it looked so much smaller and submerged than I remembered. Yet, put yer green stuff on and it's no problem at all.

An oppo of mine was phobic (properly phobic) about flying but he did his jumps course no problems.

I've also got a degree and joined as a grunt but I was out-foxed on a daily basis :roll: What you'll find in later life is that you'll meet stacks of "middle management muppets" (top phrase :lol: ) who will secretly or not so secretly wish they'd done what you had. It makes you a more interesting person to some and it's opened some doors for me that would have been firmly shut to such a council estate scrote as I.

Paras is a good unit to join. Go on, you know it makes sense.
Per Flank, Per Tank
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Smartie tube was the worse obstacle for me Sull. :o
Keeping your face pressed tight against the top of the tube as wave after wave drowned you in the darkness, what a winner. :-?
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
aspinall

Post by aspinall »

this may be hi-jacking the page a bit but is there a high percentage of people that fail to get there maroon beret ? :-?
You'll Never Walk Alone
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Not in the Royal Marines, mate. Why did you ask? :-?
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
aspinall

Post by aspinall »

i mean the paras :-? just curious whether a lot of people pass out that started from the beginning
You'll Never Walk Alone
Tab

Post by Tab »

If you are good enough you will pass out. some time there are good bunch of recruits and other times not so good.
freer07

Post by freer07 »

When you do P-Coy do you all do it together like the 00's pictures or is there only one person aloud on a time? and is the highest point the first picture in the 00's?
freer07

Post by freer07 »

Anyone?? :cry:
just_me

Post by just_me »

I don't know, sorry. I assumed it would be one at a time so they can judge them seperatley, but I dunno. Could be a practise run maybe?
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Alrite mate, from what I have been led to belive from watching loads of videos and docs on Para training they send you up one at a time. It could have changed though since. Sandy is a PTI but I aint seen him around on here for a while as he could give you a 100% accurate answer or maybe a actual Para :D.

Tom