Share This Page:

PF Platoon and Selection

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Ah right, yeah, that is a bit of a difference lol, show's you how much you learn from reading books on SF doesn't it :lol:

Thanks for the info.
roman

Post by roman »

I have some questions concerning officers.

1. For officers who try for the Cadre, how much time in service would be enough before trying ?

2. Now, with most being university undergraduates, in about 2 1/2-3 years are captains. Are captains allowed in the Cadre ?

3. And if they pass, are captains accepted to run one of the two Pathfinder Platoon troops (like in the SAS) or they have to be lieutenants ?

4. Is the Pathfinder Platoon OC usually a Captain or a Major ?
utrinque paratus
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

roman wrote:I have some questions concerning officers.

1. For officers who try for the Cadre, how much time in service would be enough before trying ?

2. Now, with most being university undergraduates, in about 2 1/2-3 years are captains. Are captains allowed in the Cadre ?

3. And if they pass, are captains accepted to run one of the two Pathfinder Platoon troops (like in the SAS) or they have to be lieutenants ?

4. Is the Pathfinder Platoon OC usually a Captain or a Major ?
1. Two years I think.

2. Yes.

3. The slots available are OC, 2ic and 3ic.

4. Usually a senior Captain or Major.
roman

Post by roman »

Thank you very much for the answers. So, in order to be a troop leader, you cannot rank above lieutenant and as a second lieutenant you have little chance to overcome the cadre. Never heard about 3ic position. It's surprising for me that such a small unit (I've read the Pathfiner platoon is about 40 men strong). What a 3ic, and still a captain would be good for in the Platoon ?
utrinque paratus
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

roman wrote:Thank you very much for the answers. So, in order to be a troop leader, you cannot rank above lieutenant and as a second lieutenant you have little chance to overcome the cadre. Never heard about 3ic position. It's surprising for me that such a small unit (I've read the Pathfiner platoon is about 40 men strong). What a 3ic, and still a captain would be good for in the Platoon ?
We don't have troops, we are a Platoon.

Lieutenant or Captain is ok, either rank could apply for the 2ic/3ic position, 2nd Lt would be too junior. Capt or Major for the OC position.
roman

Post by roman »

Thank you again. I was talking about troops because I've read about them on Special Operations, Specwarnet etc. They say the Platoon comprises 2 troops: one air troop (trained both in HAHO and HALO) and one mountain troop (trained only in HALO, others says HAHO) each made up by 4-5 men patrols and commanded by a Lieutenant. That's why I wrote about troops.
utrinque paratus
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

roman wrote:Thank you again. I was talking about troops because I've read about them on Special Operations, Specwarnet etc. They say the Platoon comprises 2 troops: one air troop (trained both in HAHO and HALO) and one mountain troop (trained only in HALO, others says HAHO) each made up by 4-5 men patrols and commanded by a Lieutenant. That's why I wrote about troops.
Don't believe what you read on the net, it's full of crap. That info is about 10 years out of date. So, is this a wind-up anyway?
roman

Post by roman »

I've insisted so much on this matter becase one of my sources was a book, 'Ultimate Special Forces`, written by Hugh McManners (to my knowledge, he fought in the Falklands war in the RM or even in the SBS) and Brig. Gen. David Grange (former SFOD-D officer) and they said about the Platoon the same thing (two troops). You know all these better, I can't deny it. Maybe the above metioned situation was in the '90s or in the '80s and the two guys were satisfied with that outdated information ? I don't make an assertion, I'm just asking. Thanks.
utrinque paratus
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

A troop is another term for a platoon. We are one platoon. We are organised into an Air Cadre and a Mobility Cadre. We all cross train in both though. Mountain went out of the window about 10 years ago.
roman

Post by roman »

Thank you. You have entlightened me on this subject. Now, all my questions on the Pathfinder Platoon have been answered. I was well aware a troop is a another name for platoon (SAS, Armoured, Artillery, Signals, RM, Engineers, Logistics and so on- I hope I made no mistake here) but, in this context, your explanation was salutary.
utrinque paratus
freer07

Re: PF Platoon and Selection

Post by freer07 »

Greenronnie said: Once in the Platoon you will do your basic Para course (if not already qualified), HALO and HAHO courses, plus internal cadres such as signals, dems, mobility, medic, air. Once you have settled in a bit there is ample opportunity to get on lots of ally courses, such as sniper, jungle LRRP, FAC, TLZSO etc.

Are you aloud to do more than one course?
Holger Danske

Post by Holger Danske »

Yes.
But this isn't 1-2 week courses. :wink:
And when you are finised with eg. the FAC course i'm pretty sure that the unit will send you on some traning excercises in that role for a while.
"Sir! We are surrounded! - Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"
Greenronnie

Re: PF Platoon and Selection

Post by Greenronnie »

freer07 wrote:Are you aloud to do more than one course?
Of course you can!! Your first 12-18 months will basically be back to back courses. Everyone has many different skills/quals to offer once they have been in a few years. However, probably better off just getting into the army first eh?

If you have any serious questions, you would probably be better off just PM'ing me really.
Chas

Post by Chas »

Nasty N*** won the MM in NI as a 'Bootie.'
Wanted SAS went to Para for a very short time.
Passed selection. Retired as a WO2 and was for
some time running QCB at Hereford.
Quite a few have gone that route. :evil:
RM., Colonial Police & Queen's Regt HSF.
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Chas wrote:Nasty N*** won the MM in NI as a 'Bootie.'
Wanted SAS went to Para for a very short time.
Passed selection. Retired as a WO2 and was for
some time running QCB at Hereford.
Quite a few have gone that route. :evil:
WTF???? :o