Share This Page:

PF Platoon and Selection

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
jabcrosshook

Post by jabcrosshook »

What's the eyesight requirements like?
Just slightly curious.
Skeav

Post by Skeav »

As long as you can carry your white stick along with all the rest of your equipment, you should be fine. :wink:

Cheers

"Matt"
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Rogue Chef wrote:wato wrote|:
just a quick one, has any bootnecks ever went over. Just out of interest
Yes. At one time RMs who wanted to join the SAS had to leave the Corps and join the Army, As such they were given a parent unit before going on selection.
I think you've misunderstood the question a bit there mate. He was asking if there have ever been any RM in the PF. The answer is no. We had a few turn up on the Cadre in 95, but none of them passed. This wasn't down to any anti-Marine tendancies, they just didn't get through the course.

I've heard through the grapevine that there are a few RM interested in attending our Cadre, and we would be more than happy to take them, but from what I've heard the main problem is getting released from thier units due to manpower shortages.
Greenronnie

Re: PF Platoon and Selection

Post by Greenronnie »

aza-0497 wrote:Hey all, wondering if anyone knows anything more about the Pathfinders! Im currently in the Infantry and wanna give Pf selection a shot
It's basically 6 weeks down in Sennybridge, twice a year, either Feb/Mar or Sept/Oct. The outline of the Selection Cadre is as follows;

Week 1-Tabbing and lessons
Week 2-Hills week, with 4 test tabs (same routes/timings/weights as SF)
Week 3-SOP training
Week 4-Live firing
Weeks 5/6- Final exercise

SERE training (combat survival) follows shortly after, including R to I.

Once in the Platoon you will do your basic Para course (if not already qualified), HALO and HAHO courses, plus internal cadres such as signals, dems, mobility, medic, air. Once you have settled in a bit there is ample opportunity to get on lots of ally courses, such as sniper, jungle LRRP, FAC, TLZSO etc.

It's a very hard course, if you are serious about giving it a go make sure you are well prepared. If you want any more info, PM me.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Greenronnie wrote:I've heard through the grapevine that there are a few RM interested in attending our Cadre, and we would be more than happy to take them, but from what I've heard the main problem is getting released from thier units due to manpower shortages.
Thats the same with para regt now im afraid. 2 Para have been banned from going for SF or PF until atleast after 2008. Same with 3 para. September is the last PF cadre blokes will be allowed to get on for a fair while, and ditto with selection.
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Why is that Paratrooper01?
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Tom163 wrote:Why is that Paratrooper01?
Due to operational requirements and the fact that we are undermanned.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

I think the manning levels in both Para Reg and RM want a serious dose of looking at. :o
Whilst it may initially affect things like PF, BRG or SF selection it will rapidly spread to affect all.
Then you will see guys being detailed off for SQs they don`t want and that`s when the de-motivation monster starts to bite.
Which has a severe affect on retention.
Which has a severe affect on recruitment
Which has a severe affect on manning levels and all of a sudden we are in crisis mode.
Sort the fugger out now. :evil:

To answer Jabcrosses point, did you hear about the blind guy in 2 Para?
Someone asked him how he knew when he was going to hit the ground,
“Dead easy mate, the lead on me guide dog goes slack!” 8)

Wahooooo Mahometttt :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Greenronnie,
Yes I did misunderstand; I thought the thread was about PF and/or SF selection.
Si Capon

Post by Si Capon »

Hijacking slightly, but on the question of crossing over. Good mate of mine had to leave the Corps as a C/sgt, re-badge to the Paras as a WOII so he could join that new fangled Special Reconissssssssancccccee Regt as a WOII......shhhhh!

So now he`s a Para, but wears the SRR beret.
Once....................... Always...tup, three
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Paratrooper01 wrote:
Tom163 wrote:Why is that Paratrooper01?
Due to operational requirements and the fact that we are undermanned.
Ummmm, that wont affect of the quality of the new recruits going into depot will it? cause that starts to put everyone in danger :-?
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

tom163 wrote:Ummmm, that wont affect of the quality of the new recruits going into depot will it? cause that starts to put everyone in danger :-?
Shouldn't do. We always get a steady flow of recruits coming to the battalions, but its when you get to battalion that you start to really learn how to be a paratrooper.

Mostly that occurs down town :drinking:
tom163

Post by tom163 »

:lol: :lol: Sounds Fun.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Greenronnie wrote: It's basically 6 weeks down in Sennybridge, twice a year, either Feb/Mar or Sept/Oct. The outline of the Selection Cadre is as follows;

Week 1-Tabbing and lessons
Week 2-Hills week, with 4 test tabs (same routes/timings/weights as SF)
Week 3-SOP training
Week 4-Live firing
Weeks 5/6- Final exercise

SERE training (combat survival) follows shortly after, including R to I.
I was just re-reading this topic and was just wondering, what's the actual difference between SF Selection and Pathfinder Selection?

The reason I ask is that what you've mentioned there is pretty much all of the things I've read (and I think that's the important bit there!) you have to complete on SF Selection.

Is the only difference that for SF you go on to do Continuation training or is there more differences in Selection?

Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Alfa wrote: I was just re-reading this topic and was just wondering, what's the actual difference between SF Selection and Pathfinder Selection?

The reason I ask is that what you've mentioned there is pretty much all of the things I've read (and I think that's the important bit there!) you have to complete on SF Selection.

Is the only difference that for SF you go on to do Continuation training or is there more differences in Selection?
The main difference is the length of the two courses. PF is 6 weeks, SF is nearly 6 months! However we do our continuation training once you join the Platoon as opposed to as part of the course. Plus we don't have a CT phase (or role), obviously.