Share This Page:

No jumps for Paras as MoD cuts £1bn

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
DANTAE

Post by DANTAE »

when is the defence news on tomorrow what channel/ site ect i cant believe they are doing this our military get shown no respect by the bloody goverment i hate them for it wonder if this will affect special forces
Sky Police

Post by Sky Police »

DANTAE wrote:when is the defence news on tomorrow what channel/ site ect i cant believe they are doing this our military get shown no respect by the bloody goverment i hate them for it wonder if this will affect special forces
Defence News Clicky

All the info will be here in the next few days no doubt
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

This is going to have massive impications. It's got bugger all to do with just the phyical loss of a capability. It will cause mass loss of Para Regt soldiers, recruiting will hit an all-time low, Hereford will lose the mainstay of thier recruiting. At exactly the time we need the blokes to fight wars!

I personally will not hang about if it affects the freefall role.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Now what soldier is going to bother to do the P Course if there is No Parachute Regiment to join. The powers to be will no doubt cut their jump pay to save money, so will they get any further recruits into the Regiment I wonder
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Fair one Tab....why do PRE PARACHUTE SELECTION when there is no parachuting to be done!

Sky Police, if you want to stay for 22 years why not just join and do your jumps in 2011.

Lets just hope this is some kind of misunderstanding and that it doesnt actually go ahead.
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Sky Police

Post by Sky Police »

Paratrooper01 wrote:Sky Police, if you want to stay for 22 years why not just join and do your jumps in 2011.
Purely because, if they are looking at taking away parachute training from the parachute regiment, in my eyes, this shows that the government don't deem the regiment a worthwhile resource. If this is the case then whats to stop them taking away the parachute regiment altogether further down the line?

I know it's all speculation at the minute but i'm sure if i'm thinking it then many other potential recruits are too. Hopefully the MoD will give a statement at some time soon
nirv101

Post by nirv101 »

Saw it this morning, a tiny paragraph in the front of the metro. I agree with others that it'll cut recruiting, I wanted to join 4para and I was told they hardly get any through jump training as it is!

Wasn't it proved in Afghanistan though that the fitness and training of the paras are still needed in tough combat situations?

Found this too:
The MOD does not comment on leaked documents. What we can say is that the MOD does not expect to overspend in the current financial year and, as we do not yet have a budget set for the Financial Year 07/08, it is bizarre to claim a predicted overspend. The future Defence budget will be set in the Comprehensive Spending Review next year and we are currently developing plans to ensure that next year's programme is affordable and allocated in line with defence priorities.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Sky Police wrote:
Paratrooper01 wrote:Sky Police, if you want to stay for 22 years why not just join and do your jumps in 2011.
Purely because, if they are looking at taking away parachute training from the parachute regiment, in my eyes, this shows that the government don't deem the regiment a worthwhile resource. If this is the case then whats to stop them taking away the parachute regiment altogether further down the line?

I know it's all speculation at the minute but i'm sure if i'm thinking it then many other potential recruits are too. Hopefully the MoD will give a statement at some time soon
The regiment is a worthwhile resource as you put it. We are the finest infantry regiment in the army and the MoD has now seen what we are made of on a modern battlefield. I dont think there is a risk of the regiment being dispanded any time soon. :wink:

Reference jumps....half the blokes hate jumping anyway!! You will realise (if you join) that the paras are more than jumping out of aircraft.

Only downside to not jumping is you will be a penguin! :P
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
_chris

Post by _chris »

Allegations army parachute training is to be cut
Various newspapers report that leaked MOD documents outline that parachute training in the Army is to be halted for four years as part of a £1 billion cost-cutting programme by the MOD. The MOD does not comment on leaked documents. What we can say is that the MOD does not expect to overspend in the current financial year and, as we do not yet have a budget set for the Financial Year 07/08, it is bizarre to claim a predicted overspend. The future Defence budget will be set in the Comprehensive Spending Review next year and we are currently developing plans to ensure that next year's programme is affordable and allocated in line with defence priorities.
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Defen ... sDaily.htm

Thats their official response, doesn't install much confidence though does it.
Sky Police

Post by Sky Police »

Paratrooper01 wrote:The regiment is a worthwhile resource as you put it. We are the finest infantry regiment in the army and the MoD has now seen what we are made of on a modern battlefield. I dont think there is a risk of the regiment being dispanded any time soon. :wink:

Reference jumps....half the blokes hate jumping anyway!! You will realise (if you join) that the paras are more than jumping out of aircraft.

Only downside to not jumping is you will be a penguin! :P
I know you are the finest regiment in the army, thats why i want to join. I also know that you are very much a worthwhile resource. I'm merely saying that the government can't see the importance if they want to cut something out as core to the regiment as the parachute training.

As for joining and having to wait at least 4 years to get my wings... I think it would be pretty naive to say that a divide wouldn't occur between those with their wings and so called penguins. It certainly wouldn’t boost my morale knowing that I wasn’t going to be a real para for at least 4 years. And that’s if they resume training after 4 years in 2011 like they say. :evil:

That’s just my opinion anyway, I’m not saying that it’s either right or wrong, just what I think. :D

Hopefully the MoD will announce something shortly though
Sky Police

Post by Sky Police »

ahh, they just did. Well they haven't denied it but they have admitted the document exists by saying 'we do not comment on leaked documents'.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Do you think that they will still have all facilities to train a paratrooper in four years time, or will they say in four years time that they have put it all back for another four years. Once they have broken that link it will be job to get it back.
Sky Police

Post by Sky Police »

It will be like most government ideas, once the funding has gone, they won't be able to find it again when the time comes!! :bad-words:
got1

Post by got1 »

When I joined it was always said the labour party were trying to get rid of the Parachute Regiment. 46 years they are still trying.
SOD THEM.
ps I would like to take Tony up for a wee flight and throw him out. Without a chute.
stever

Post by stever »

this is beyond belief.you couldnt make it up
what about recruitment
saving money on cheap ammo now this
i really am at a loss to comment further
"Once a Rockape Always a Rockape"
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9038/camsig0qi.jpg[/img][/url]