Share This Page:

Welcome back 3 Para

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
tom_06

Post by tom_06 »

if what that article is saying is true then its ridiculous!!??Why the hell arent they letting them out of the base to do what they are all obviously gagging to do, the govt. has spent thousands training them up for the past six months.
Recruit Training: 13th November
tom_06

Post by tom_06 »

Just found this on the net:

Commandos kill up to 10 Taliban in gun battleRoyal Marine Commandos are believed to have killed up to 10 Taliban fighters yesterday following a brief but ferocious battle in southern Afghanistan.

The Marines were conducting a foot patrol six miles east of the town of Gereshk in the southern province of Helmand when they were ambushed by insurgents armed with 81mm mortars and automatic weapons. The attack provoked a fierce response by the commandos, who fired more than 2,000 rounds during the 25-minute battle. No Marines were injured.

It was the first time the Marines, who took over control of Forward Operating Base Price (FOB Price) from the Paras a month ago, had been involved in a sustained "contact" with the Taliban.

officers said the action disproved press reports at the weekend that the Marines had been confined to their makeshift barracks at Camp Bastion because commanders were too afraid to engage the Taliban.

"We are conducting normal military operations to make the province secure," said a senior Army officer. "It is ludicrous to suggest they spend their time just sitting around watching DVDs. This is a tough mission and they are entitled to rest when they are back at base."

The attack took place at 2.15pm local time as more than 50 troops from J Company 42 Commando were coming to the end of a five-hour patrol into an area known to have been heavily infiltrated by the insurgents.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Ahoy there!
I dare say some halfwit will have had it from a mate who was listening to a radio that the correct version was that the RMs threw down their weapons and ran away whilst hurling boy scouts into the fray. The Taliban casualties were caused by a lone attached army rank who made a heroic charge armed only with a pullthrough and the contents from the small half of his mess tin.
tom_06

Post by tom_06 »

Good comment!!
HCR

Post by HCR »

Ive served with mainly 3 Para on many occasions as part of 16AA. And apart from there "f@ck you all" T-Shirts you read on there backs in the cue for scoff :lol: , you know there good soldiers and Im glad there on our side. When you look at a Para they look the part as they look fit and by the way they look. They were brilliant out there, just like we all were. I dont agree with the Para attitude that there 100% perfect and the rest are sh!t because what i've noticed over the years is that there not perfect and the rest of the Infantry are better than what they say. When they were told that the Royal Irish and Fusiliers were coming out to help all 3 Para kept saying is that they did'nt want them because they were Hats. Which was wrong as both units were sent to the 2 sh"t holes of Helmand, Nowzad and Masa Qualar and they never got the press the Paras got.

Then the Paras did one and left the rest of the Brigade behind and 3 Cdo took over. I must admit they were abit p!ssed of with you guys because 3 Para Patrols left the vehicles in s"it state and 42 Patrols were late taking over from us on the 29 gunline which ment we could not go and support one of our troops in Nowzad. Plus you didnt tell them where the bloody Russian mine fields were, we had to do it.

Ive never worked with Royal before now. We were'nt happy that they pulled out of Masa Qualar because we lost 2 men and the Royal Irish lost 3 holding that place as well as others. But that was'nt there fault, I think thats been a political decision.

Things had changed once we got back to (HMS) Bastian. You could no longer wear shorts and flip flops you had to be in full combats all the time. Which I think was over the top as Bastian is the safest place there is and you need somewhere to chill. And the cookhouse went down hill, and shut at night so you could'nt get a brew. And the anti Hat T-Shirts turned to anti Army but hey :lol: and I have to say this but the avarage Bootneck did not look as fit as the Para, Im not saying they aint just look. But I know they will do a good job out there like we did, they have more blokes and the winter might keep the Taliban away. All this squabbling is crap, theres people out there in Afghanistan and Iraq who want to slit our throats, and we need each other to do these bastards. HMForces are the best and no one drops there weapons and runs, we have too much pride for that.
going grey!

Post by going grey! »

My hobby is retoring military vehciles, how did the land rovers perform?, do you have a detachment of REME with you full time?.
Courage is knowing what not to fear.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

There was a vehicle mechanic from the REME at every combat outpost in afghan fixing everything from quad bikes to scimitar light tanks.

The landrovers as far as i know were fine. There was problems with larger drops vehicles getting bogged in the sand and the Pinzgauer vehicles were not particularly good...had many requests come over the net for another pinz vehicle to be airlifted out to a convoy. Not too sure about the WMIK vehicles and how they performed; i know they are not too good if you drive over a landmine :o
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
HCR

Post by HCR »

paratrooper01 wrote
i know they are not too good if you drive over a landmine
I was unfortunate to see a 7Para one hit a Anti Tank mine. It was'nt a very nice sight, and one of the lads was in a very bad way. .We heard he was doing alright.We had us smashing 30mm into it and 7 Para smashing there 105mm into it to deny it to the enemy. We had afew out there, bloody Soviets causing more causalties than the Taliban. One Scimitar got damaged in the middle of a strong Taliban area, we had the choice to destroy or fix it. Being good Armoured lads we fixed it there and then and got the f*ck out of there. About a month before that another one of our vehicles got destroyed by another mine. No one was hurt but we were in the middle of a un-marked mine field and it was getting dark and we were'nt far from Masa Qualar. With time running out we had to put all that 5 mins mine proding training into action and when at a safe distance destroy the vehicle.
IV Cockney

Post by IV Cockney »

Getting back to the original thread, I'd personally like to WELCOME 3 PARA back from Kicking the Talibans Arse and to those who never returned, just one word.....RESPECT....from all the boys on the Door at EDWARDS in Colly..

......I know some doors in town arnt as "Para appreciative" as ours but as most of you boys already know, you are always welcome in our gaff!
[img]http://www.army.mod.uk/img/template/badge_para4bn.gif[/img] [img]http://premium1.uploadit.org/CockneyPlayboy//totumtotum.JPG[/img]
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Cheers for the support IV Cockney.

Thinking about it, Edwards is the one place in colly where the blokes have no trouble getting in, and i have to say its one of the best bars in the town. Consequently there is no trouble from our lads in there.

"Shitcago's" (Chicago's) on the other hand is a different matter. I hate all of the bouncers on that place. As for the Hipodrome, i have never had trouble getting in there, but a comment was made by one of their bouncers about one of our blokes who didnt return home and we all know who he is....so standby. The paras are coming for you 8)
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Mr_Kiwi

Post by Mr_Kiwi »

So dudes in one of my classes at uni were making some smart arse remarks about the war in afghanistan (not political remarks but about the soldiers on the ground) I only wish there had been more of me or less of them. I basically told them to 'shut the fck up and apprieciate that its because of the soldiers like those on the ground you can bloody well sleep peacfully in your bed and to have some fcking respect before I beat it into them.' Obviously it was an empty threat to the group of 5 but if it had been 2 or three it would be a different story.

Once again, Welcome back, feel free to pop over for a beer if you want Para01.
Tab

Post by Tab »

I was having a chat to a lad from 3 Para today who was on leave after getting back from Afgahistan, and he was saying although it was a bit hairy out there at times it was great to practice the skills under fire and even though they had lost a couple of their lads in the process.
going grey!

Post by going grey! »

Many years ago when I was alot younger and slimmer!, I used to work on the door for chicago's(not colly though), I was working the door at cambridge, and we used to get alot of soldiers come in(waterbeach barracks just down the road), I always found the soldiers to be polite and friendly, sometimes they would go a bit OTT(no more than civvies though), I found that if you were firm but fair you got no problems with them.
Mind you, I think I drove them mad by talking about landrovers all the time! :D
Courage is knowing what not to fear.
HCR

Post by HCR »

Tab wrote
, and he was saying although it was a bit hairy out there at times it was great to practice the skills under fire
Same here, people can spend 22years in the Army and never put into practice what they train for for real. 16AA Brigade did out there and so are 3 Cdo Brigade right now. It was very hairy at times but the excitment was incredible.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

a comment was made by one of their bouncers about one of our blokes who didnt return home and we all know who he is....so standby. The paras are coming for you
I take it he's not the sharpest tool in the box then!

I REALLY hope you all enjoy your next night out at chicago's :wink: