Share This Page:

Differences Between Military and Civillian Jumps

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
got1

Post by got1 »

[quote="neil1955"]The most alarming difference is the hundreds of other mentally challenged loons in the air at the same time dancing on your canopy etc...[/quote]

And the shouts of "F*cking steer away" :D
JayCam

Post by JayCam »

got1 wrote:And the shouts of "F*cking steer away"
Haha no we get that with civy jumps too! "Move motherf*cker I'm right behind you!"

Also we had cows and sheep to contend with.. fun watching them scatter when you swoop down shouting like an idiot though.
got1

Post by got1 »

Be a bit concerned when the "heavy drop" comes on the same DZ. Never mind about the cows and sheep, watch your head. :o
Tab

Post by Tab »

We did a full Brigade drop in Holland one year that got very exciting when the heavy drop started there where about 5.000 men still in the air and you had lorries and heavy guns whistling past you while you.Those that had landed had dodge the stuff dropping out of the sky and some of it with parachute failure I still don't know how every one had walked away from the DZ with out getting killed.
got1

Post by got1 »

I have just returned from Arnhem tonight. On Saturday 16th Sept I was on the Ginkel Heath DZ Ede.
They were blessed with bute weather and the parachuting went on for nearly 4hrs in front (I was told) 30,000 spectators.
It began with these powered parachutes and then the drop came in with the Dakota and some veterans, also members of the 21st Independent Pathfinders, two landed in the trees but said it was nearer the RV (RAF again ) :oops: then a Dutch aircraft with a mixture of Brits, Americans and Dutch airborne . I believe there were members from 2 Para,3 Para and 4 Para
The Herc then came in many times at low level.
There was the older gents (80+ years young) that came in on a tandem jump and the Red Freds gave a great display of precision jumping.
It was a great day and appreciated by everybody.
Imagine lads in there teens and lads in there 80s jumping together, felt a bit of a lump in the throat.