Share This Page:

The Man Who Never Misses....

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

Paratrooper01 wrote:I have a friend who was in 5 platoon, b-company during the battle of mount Longdon and was in Scouse McLaughlin's section. He is as crazy as the book described him as aparently. But nevertheless, in the time of greatest need he showed extraordinary courage and bravery under enemy fire.

What a legend. :drinking:
Agreed. I think the book spent too much time talking about his crazy side during peacetime, when perhaps it should have focused more on his courageous heroics on Longdon. An intense battle, by all accounts, and McLaughlin showed immense tenacity and bravery under extremely heavy fire.
Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Well said BM,

My mate also says its true about him filling blokes in, in the scoff que etc!! :lol:

He is reg through and through! 8)
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

exgreenjacket wrote:
ive just picked up a book in liverpool about a legionaire called the naked solder, and probably next is the one about paras/rmp at najaf.
Is that "Last Round" by Mark Nicol your talking about? If it is I'm after the same book it sounds like it'd be a really good read.

Just out of curiosity are you thinking of joining 4 Para or joining up as a regular?
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

Cheers, 01.

He was a real character by all accounts, and definately one you'd want alongside you when the bullets are flying. Definately reg through & through.
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

Alfa wrote:
exgreenjacket wrote:
ive just picked up a book in liverpool about a legionaire called the naked solder, and probably next is the one about paras/rmp at najaf.
Is that "Last Round" by Mark Nicol your talking about? If it is I'm after the same book it sounds like it'd be a really good read.

Just out of curiosity are you thinking of joining 4 Para or joining up as a regular?
The bloke who wrote "Last Round" joined 4 Para a year or two ago as a recruit. He didn't finish the course though, I don't know whether the staff found out it was him, as the book was already out. I wouldn't have wanted to be him if they had!
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Why's that? Is the book full of crap or something? I'd appreciate it if you could let me know so I don't waste my money on it and line this guys pockets if he's writing sh*t.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Its a good book. All you need to know is that British Soldiers died and that book is a tribute to their lives. If you dont want to know about how they died and what they did for their country then dont buy it.
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Well that's what I thought, it sounded really good that's why I wanted to buy it, but when boxingmad said about not wanting to be him if the 4 Para staff knew he'd wrote the book I wasn't sure if he meant that the book was disrespectful to the soldiers involved.
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

What I meant was that being an author kinda comes down to being the same as a journo thus the staff were probably a bit suspicious of why he joined in the first place. The term "participative journalism" springs to mind. I work as a cameraman and I come into a lot of contact with journos, and to call them untrustworthy is being kind. They'd sell their own mothers for a scoop. You gotta be careful what you say to them.
Having said that, "Last Round" IS a very good read, and as 01 states, is a tribute to both the six lads who died, and those of 1 Para, who had an extremely heavy contact on the same day.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Great thanks for clearing that up, I've been looking forward to reading that book for ages I just misunderstood what you meant.
SO19

Post by SO19 »

I've read 'Ultimate Risk' by Mark Nicol, so have been meaning to get round to reading this one for sometime. I could be wrong, but I'm sure he mentioned his father served in 22.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Just been reading a Q&A with him on the net and your probably right as he say's he grew up in Hereford so that would fit in with what you said.
exgreenjacket

Post by exgreenjacket »

Alfa wrote:
exgreenjacket wrote:

im hoping to join 4 para mate, and from there hopefully move on to their sniper platoon in st helens.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Good stuff mate, good on you and good luck with it :D

Where about in Liverpool are you? I'm by the airport.
exgreenjacket

Post by exgreenjacket »

Alfa wrote:Good stuff mate, good on you and good luck with it :D

Where about in Liverpool are you? I'm by the airport.
im in kirkby, about five minutes from st helens and the sniper platoon.

:P

supposed to be going on look at life in october (been a civilian too long to just transfer) but i want to go and speak to somebody from 4 para and see when the next one is because my fitness is poor after too many hours sat in my taxi and very little else.

hopefully i can postone it while i get my fitness up to scratch so i dont look bad when i start training and i hit the ground running.

im not keen on heights though and was terrified for the only jump ive done to be honest, so im looking forward to getting stuck into that aspect of training so i can beat it. obviously there is a lot of sweat and blisters between now and then though.