Share This Page:

British Army in 1891

General information on Military History.
Mickj

British Army in 1891

Post by Mickj »

Can anyone help with which branch of the army would have been in Dover in 1891. In particular I have a relative who is shown on the 1891 census as being a soldier prisoner in Archcliff Fort Road Military Prison, Hougham, Dover, Kent.

Thanks in anticipation
Mickj
Tab

Post by Tab »

There were military prisons all over the place in later part of the 19th Century. There was a huge Naval Prison in Lewes in East Sussex, but it is job to find any thing out about it these days
London Boy

Re: British Army in 1891

Post by London Boy »

Mickj wrote:Can anyone help with which branch of the army would have been in Dover in 1891. In particular I have a relative who is shown on the 1891 census as being a soldier prisoner in Archcliff Fort Road Military Prison, Hougham, Dover, Kent.

Thanks in anticipation
Mickj
Hi Mick, have a look at this http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report ... mpid=50925

Though not much at all on the net about the Archcliff Fort.

And that is what you should search for "Archcliff fort" in that doc I've
linked and in general when you Google

What you have above "Archcliff Fort Road Military Prison" is wrong because it omits the name of the road. There were several roads around and entrances into the fort.

At a guess, having read a little bit of that history and noting that there were hilltop coastal batteries there, I'd say either Royal Artillery (army) or Royal Marine Artillery, as the active defence units on the fort.
That said, the prison section could have been run by anyone.
Mickj

Post by Mickj »

Thanks London Boy for your help. I have read the information on the link that you gave and it is very interesting. However I am still trying to find out who the prisoners belonged to. Were they all the same regiment or a mixture.
Mickj
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Mickj wrote:Thanks London Boy for your help. I have read the information on the link that you gave and it is very interesting. However I am still trying to find out who the prisoners belonged to. Were they all the same regiment or a mixture.
Mickj
British military prisons don't differentiate between regiments so it would have been a right motley crew of all sorts of defaulters.