Share This Page:

Warzone

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
green boil

Post by green boil »

druadan wrote:I didn't see it, but the missus said it was absolute shite.

Let's not forget that 42 Cdo Battlegroup along with various other combat formations of various nations are based at KAF. It's great when you get downtime, because there are the facilities (notice I'm on here most nights :wink: ) but the work is done outside of camp, where the fast-food restaurants are few and far between :roll:

Let's also remember that a vast amount of support staff are based at KAF - the Forces wouldn't run without them (I vaguely remember a crazy figure, something like 3 or 4 support staff are required to keep one infantryman battle-ready), but they're not front-line units; why shouldn't they make life as comfortable as possible whilst they're here?

Life on a FOB is much more miserable, living in Hesco shelters with minimal power and one TV for the whole company. Still get some good sunbathing done tho :wink:

Don't forget you don't fight constantly for six months. There are busy periods and quiet periods. You might go out on the ground for a day or a month. If you're unlucky you'll end up in a FOB for three or even six months. But you'll generally get back to somewhere like KAF or Bastion, and you will be grateful for the facilities when you do.
Spot on there mate i was on herrick 5 with 3 commando my lot worked with part of 45 zulu cmpy we did spend allot of time on the ground but was very glad to see bastion every time, i did spend 3 days in kaf on the way home it did see like a holiday camp to us though especially when we saw RAF reg walking round in civvies with there LMG/UGLs strapped to them oh how we laughed :D
druadan

Post by druadan »

KAF, well, I imagine the camp is more or less how you saw it! Accomodation is pre-fab buildings, two man rooms, air con, power, pretty comfortable. Scran is served in three main galleys, although it is fairly shocking, mainly due to the huge numbers to be fed, and partly down to the fact that it's Sodexo that provide it (whereas the FOBs (obviously) and Bastion is still all military chefs). There's a couple of big, well equipped gyms (the Canadian being the best), a decent sports hall (full size, not to UK leisure centre standard but good enough) with regular tournaments organised, four PXs (British, Dutch, Canadian and American), and of course the boardwalk, which is basically the hub of the camp, with various small shops for everything from trainers to bespoke T-shirts to local tourist-type souvenirs, and Burger King, Pizza Hut, Timmy Horton's Coffee Shop and Subway. Everything is pre-fab, not proper buildings, but it's good to have. BFBS broadcasts two BFBS channels (basically popular UK shows), Sky Sports 1 & 2, Sky News and Q Music. Plenty of phones (tho you only get 30mins a week still) and internet access. Education Centre if you've got the time/will to do a course or two, ranging from basic maths and English, to short introductory language courses, all the way up to facilitating OU courses.

Bastion is starting to go the same way - when I was there on Herrick V everything was tented, although they were decent 'pods' with air con and reasonably reliable power, which was better than I expected. I expected the same again this time, so was chuffed when I found out KAF is even better. Having passed through Bastion a few times now, the tents are slowly being replaced by the prefab grots as well, and the new hospital there is the best in-country.

The downside to such big camps is they start to get more Pussers, like being on camp in the UK - some units/people are funny about hair length, beards, saluting, headdress etc when on them. Out at the FOBs you leave all that behind (OC dependent of course :roll: ).

The camps are good, and with the majority of the Corps among others spending quarter of their careers here now, they are needed for morale and sustainability. As mentioned above, it's always good to have something like that to come back to after a job.
just_me

Post by just_me »

Seems that the luxuries are always welcome for the hard-worked blokes of the military, and rightfully.
It's just this particular episode of this series didn't show much hard work, only a servicewoman dealing with her tan, lovelife and discos and a "rookie recruit" RAF Rgt scoffing some food at the nearby Burger King, complaining of hard work after being in KAF for less than 24 hours, most of it a guided tour of the place.

It seems to be a light-hearted documentry similar to Chnl Five's Warship, which I caught one episode of and didn't watch again, as it was complete s**t. Will watch the next one and give it a chance as it can only get better.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Some tasty chicks cutting about in KAF. That Welsh girl and her boyfriend was sickening but good on her for ditching him. Needs to get herself a nice paratrooper. :wink:

KAF was like a little holiday when i was out there. Tried to get on day trips there when we had some down time in camp Bastion. Get some donuts in Tim Hortons and some "get massive powder" in the dutch PX in time for the flight back to boring bastion. :) KAF is squared away though. Your lucky Drud's.
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
druadan

Post by druadan »

Lol, yeah I know Paratrooper, I've done enough time on the FOBs and MOGs last time I was out to appreciate the comfort :wink:

Still can't wait to get back home, R&R in two days :drinking: :multi: 8)
just_me

Post by just_me »

druadan wrote:Lol, yeah I know Paratrooper, I've done enough time on the FOBs and MOGs last time I was out to appreciate the comfort :wink:

Still can't wait to get back home, R&R in two days :drinking: :multi: 8)
How long have you got druadan? Hope you enjoy your well-earned break.
druadan

Post by druadan »

Couple of weeks, less however long it actually takes Crab Air to get me back :roll: And yes, I will be enjoying it, thanks for the sentiments 8)
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

druadan wrote:Couple of weeks, less however long it actually takes Crab Air to get me back :roll: And yes, I will be enjoying it, thanks for the sentiments 8)
You are based in KAF already right? Something i did to get a early flight back is go to the movements desk and speak to one of the girls working there. Say something like "i have got SFBC next week and i need to get home ASAP to get my life sorted out." Any spare seats on the aircraft you will get on them. Its just about luck but if you get a flight thats 2 or 3 days before your R&R is meant to start then it was worth it.

If you say that and she isnt having any of it, try chatting her up. Unless she is a dyke...then your fooked. :lol:
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Brett B

Post by Brett B »

i also watched warzone last week, i enjoyed it, but then again i enjoy most military orientated documentrys, but everyone has there own tastes. but you cant really jugde a programme on how the first episode is, so we will have to see what the next ones are like.

druadan. i like your insite into kandahar, and bastion. how many tours have you been there with the corp?

brett
AST: Pass!
Initial Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
Fitness: Passed
Intake: 22.07.09
ROLLINGTHUNDER

Post by ROLLINGTHUNDER »

For some reason C5 has chosen to show the remaining 5 episodes of this series "sometime in the Autumn" - how frustating :(
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

ROLLINGTHUNDER wrote:For some reason C5 has chosen to show the remaining 5 episodes of this series "sometime in the Autumn" - how frustating :(
Indeed :roll:

It seemed to be getting a lot better as the series went along too.
AST - PASSED
Interview - 13/01/09 - PASSED
Medical - 20/01/09 - PASSED
PGAC - 13/04/09 - CANCELLED
PGAC - 27/04/09 - FAIL DUE TO INJURY
PGAC Re-Attempt - 14/09/09 - ?
TG Course - ???
Dawber

Post by Dawber »

yeah i was really disapointed with it myself was getting into it but now just a bit hacked off about the fact they have stopped showing it till a later date just pointless if you ask me
BARB - Passed
Basic Skills - Complete
Reg Choice - The Duke Of Lancaster's
Role - Infantry
gt1980

Post by gt1980 »

ROLLINGTHUNDER wrote:For some reason C5 has chosen to show the remaining 5 episodes of this series "sometime in the Autumn" - how frustating :(
well thats just marvellous! i didn't know that :(
sometimes there is a reason for it like various situations out there or things that might have happened recently.
ITV did something similar with ultimate force when that was on, speaking of which that got a bit silly, a woman in the sas, come on! who are they kidding.
BARB: PASSED; 76
BASIC SKILLS: PASSED
Interview 1: PASSED 04/03/09
Interview 2: waiting
Wanting to join the Royal Artillery as Gunner UAV Operator.
druadan

Post by druadan »

Sorry for delayed reply, didn't have much time for here in the UK, too busy doing the obligatory getting shiters and bagging off...apart from the first 5 days when I was sick as an effing dog, bloody timing :evil:

Paratrooper, sadly I'm too busy to get away with proffing an extra day or two, boss would've spat his dummy if I'd snuck off a day or two early...dips of working in a small unit. The best bit was having my flight confirmed only two days before I was meant to leave, then being told I had to get to Bastion to catch it...bloody long way round home too...

Brett, second tour mate, did Herrick V and this one. Back out again next year.

Back to the hellhole, six weeks to go... :roll:
English Rose

Post by English Rose »

Take care Druadan - give hubs a cuddle if you happen to bump into him :lol: Get home safe xxx
Waiting for my rocket to come.