Share This Page:

On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill..

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
Dangermouse

On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill..

Post by Dangermouse »

In War and Society

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Killing-Psychol ... 553&sr=8-1

I came across this book only this week in the library, but believe that it should be essential reading for anyone wanting to join the military or connected to the military in any way. Although my intentions in highlighting this book are not to put anyone off joining the military, I think its essential that potential soldiers understand the emotional processes that may come with thier chosen career, especially while Britain is curently engaged in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Post-traumatic stress of veterans is something that civilians like myself, who have never experienced war or its effects, can not understand. This book gives the reader an idea of the psychological impact learning to kill, and participating in war has for the individual, enabling any potential or serviing soldiers to better control there lives if they are ever face with a distressing incident during thier career.
paddlequack

Post by paddlequack »

I myself think that if half/or more of people that want to join any regiment that goes to war reads this book they'd pack their shit and get a desk job before signing the dotted line.
I think thats half of the part of the job in joining the military and that is getting life experience and maybe even getting a bit scarred as it makes you stronger and more adapted to life to carry on living with a bit more of a tougher shell and more of an open mindedness about how things are run.
Thats my opinion
ofens

Post by ofens »

I think that a proactive approach to some of the things you will have to deal with can only be a good thing.
A great many people suffer from a condition called PTSD as a result of active service, and it not only ruins their lives but their families and close friends can become secondary victims.

Awareness and education in this area is terribly overlooked and seriously needed.
Thinking that you should just "be brave" or "have some guts" is not dealing with the problem and that kind of attitude is about as useful as "just being nice" in an argument or other conflict.

If you want to know more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PTSD
http://www.combatstress.org.uk/
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns? ... 725143.800

If anyone has a serious question about this, perhaps pertaining to them or someone they know, please feel free to PM me. I may not be able to help directly but can point in the right direction.

I've not read this book but shall check it out, it sounds like it's worth a read.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

paddlequack wrote:I myself think that if half/or more of people that want to join any regiment that goes to war reads this book they'd pack their shit and get a desk job before signing the dotted line.
I think thats half of the part of the job in joining the military and that is getting life experience and maybe even getting a bit scarred as it makes you stronger and more adapted to life to carry on living with a bit more of a tougher shell and more of an open mindedness about how things are run.
Thats my opinion
Possibly, but surely most people who join the military are already aware of the dangers they are getting into, and the pyschological costs that serving in a war may have. I'm sure a lot of people put off the military after reading this book would be the type who think they can dodge bullets or are immune to pscyhological stress - ie: nutters. Video footage and photography of war are becoming exponentially more accessible to the public so this book shouldn't really be shocking to anyone other than said nutters who think they will make good soldiers becasue they are good at Halo.

I can't remember who said it first, but someone suggested that troops in war go through three stages:
1) Belief that they won't get killed because they are too agile/fast/handsome/loved/tightly laced
2) Belief that they can get killed, so they become more tactically aware
3) Belief that they can only survive by not having anything to do with war

If anything, such a book would provide a wake up call to the people who believe they are invincible, thus facilitating the training process and giving them a reason to stay swtiched on when first deployed on an operation. It can also be used to educate the public, allowing them to better understand returning soldiers. You have to think about families and friends, work colleagues and people met in everyday life. Take Vietnam as an example, a lot of retrurning soldiers were unable to keep hold of relationships or stay in a civilian job for long. The accomodation of psychologically affected soldiers in civilian life is a responsibility of the wider society as well as the military and the government.

Such education would also undoubtably benefit the military. If the public knew the consequences of war in the mind of a serving soldier, then surely they would be more sensitive to thier needs, and respect for service men and woman would go through the roof.
ofens

Post by ofens »

It can also be used to educate the public, allowing them to better understand returning soldiers.
Spot on there...
The accomodation of psychologically affected soldiers in civilian life is a responsibility of the wider society as well as the military and the government.
...and there. Well said Dangermouse 8)
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Von

Post by Von »

Dangermouse,

Two very good posts.

BZ,
Von