Share This Page:

Isandlwana and Rorkes Drift 22nd and 23rd January 1879.

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
BritinAfrica

Isandlwana and Rorkes Drift 22nd and 23rd January 1879.

Post by BritinAfrica »

A few years ago I visited Isandlwana with my son. Entering the battlefield I felt a a strange overwhelming feeling of hopelessness. Immediately on my right was a white painted cairn of a soldier who died where he stood, further along were memorials to those who were killed. Scattered all over the battlefield were more and more white painted cairns, many along what is today called “The Fugitives Trail” On a small plateau on the mountain is a larger cairn where Captain Younghusband died with his troops. Examining the memorials with various names and ages was a young boy aged 19 from Pietermaritzburg. I looked at my son who was then the same age.

From Isandlwana there is an old wagon track to Rorkes Drift about 9 miles away. The mission station is still there, although rebuilt. Where the hospital once stood is a small museum and a church where the stores originally stood. The barricades built from biscuit boxes and mealie bags is shown by a line of stones.

The movie Zulu was quite accurate with a few exceptions.

(1)The terrain around Rorkes Drift is nothing like that shown in the movie. What is shown in the movie is more like the terrain around Isandlwana
(2)The movie depicts Zulu snipers using Martini Henry's captured from Isandlwana, the ZULU regiment which attacked Rorkes Drift took no part in the Isandlwana attack. There were ZULU sniper harassing the garrison, but they were using old muzzle loaders.

(3)No one at Rorkes Drift sang Men of Harlech

(4)The ZULU did not salute the garrison at the end of the battle, Lord Chelmsfords column was seen approaching from the direction of Isandlwana, then decided that discretion was the better part of valour.

(5)The 24th Regiment of Foot was not The South Wales Borderer's but the 2nd Warwickshire. The regiment was renamed The South Wales Borderer's in 1880, after Rorkes Drift

(6)Lt Chard did not assume command of the garrison because of seniority over Lt Broomhead, Chard was ordered to take over command by Major Spalding.

(7)The redoubt shown in the movie looked massive, where the actual redoubt was no more then 9 feet at its widest point.

(8)One of the soldiers shown in front of the redoubt was seen firing a bolt action rifle.

At the start of the attack, there were 20,000 rounds of ammunition available, when the battle ended less then 600 rounds were left. Despite the heavy use of ammunition less then 400 ZULU bodies were found on the battlefield. Some no doubt were badly wounded, carried off the battlefield and died later of their wounds.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

I was fortunate enough to be in Durban and to visit Rorke's Drift in 1997. Awesome! Unfortunately although Isandlwana is only 9 miles away the coach driver refused to make the journey! So we coached for five hours there and five hours back for a few minutes on tgt! Hey ho. Great place though.
BritinAfrica

Post by BritinAfrica »

Rogue Chef wrote:I was fortunate enough to be in Durban and to visit Rorke's Drift in 1997. Awesome! Unfortunately although Isandlwana is only 9 miles away the coach driver refused to make the journey! So we coached for five hours there and five hours back for a few minutes on tgt! Hey ho. Great place though.
Pity you missed it. The dirt road to Isandlwana is more then capable of taking a coach, failing that there is a normal metalic road to Isandlwana by a more roundabout route.
HCR

Post by HCR »

Afew of our lads went earlier this year and walked it between Isandlwana and Rorkes Drift by crossing the Buffalo River. They said Rorkes Drift is nothing like it was in the day but Isandlwana as not changed apart from all the white piles of rocks and memorials. They said Isandlwana is the most spookiest place they have ever been to. You can feel what happened there just by being there.

Some amazing stories about that place like the letter a young Private wrote just before the battle where he said the Mountain reminded him of the Sphinx and 24th of Foot had the sphinx on there collars. And this gave him a sense of evil about the place. He was to be killed there. And the last stand where they ran out of ammo, so they buttoned up there Tunics, shook hands and linked arms and charged into the Zulus. And this is from the Zulus account so no British propaganda there.

Apparently Spion Kop is also an incredible place to visit.
The movie depicts Zulu snipers using Martini Henry's captured from Isandlwana, the ZULU regiment which attacked Rorkes Drift took no part in the Isandlwana attack. There were ZULU sniper harassing the garrison, but they were using old muzzle loaders.
The Zulus who attacked Rorkes Drift went against the orders of there King. They should never of crossed the river from Zulu Land where Islandlwana was to Natal where Rorkes Drift was. But like was said they missed Islandlwana and wanted blood. But they were all diss honoured by the Zulu King afterwards
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Chuck him out, the brute!'
But it's 'Saviour of 'is country' when the guns begin to shoot; (Rudyard Kipling)
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

HCR,
I can't really comment on what RD is like now, but in 1997 there was a small museum, visitor centre and memorial. The layout appeared to be generally as it had been over a hundred years earlier. There were some trees and walls that were clearly newer though. And as mentioned about Isandlwana, an eerie feel about the place.

BritinAfrica

Post by BritinAfrica »

I spoke to a ZULU guide at Rorkes Drift, who showed me the original stanchions for the pontoon across the river built by Lt Chard. He also pointed out where the ZULU after crossing the river, stopped to smoke DAGGA or pot as its known in UK to bolster their courage.

As HCR correctly stated the ZULU that attacked Rorkes Drift went against the orders of King Cetshwayo, they felt somewhat left out as they didn't “wash their spears” at Isandlwana. After the battle, the ZULU's who fought at Rorkes Drift was mocked by those who fought and won at Isandlwana.

Then the guide and I had a good chat about Isandlwana and Rorkes Drift. ZULU's for many years after the Battle at Isandlwana reported sounds of battle at night, and avoided the battlefield like the plague, sometimes even today the sound of battle can be heard at night. As I said, I entered the battlefield at Isandlwana and felt an overwhelming feeling of despair, the atmosphere was so thick I felt like I could cut it with a knife. I walked up to the position where Younghusband fought his last stand and looked across the battlefield, I could see in my minds eye the complete and utter carnage.

The ZULU guide then stated that during the battle of Isandlwana, the British fought like lions and fell where they stood, but were badly led. Then he remarked that Lt Chard was in his opinion a brilliant and courageous leader.

A lot has been written about Isandlwana, some have sound opinions, some complete and utter nonsense. My personal opinion is that the battle was commanded badly, the firing line was too far extended, tents were not struck and there was the failure to form a defensive laager. What artillery was available I believe was badly sited and employed. I firmly believe that commanded and deployed correctly, the battle of Isandlwana could have been won.

Rorkes Drift hasn't really changed over the years and strangely enough, it doesn't have the heavy oppressive atmosphere that is evident at Isandlwana.

What also must be remembered, both battles was fought during one of the hottest months of the year, at times exceeding 40 deg C.