Share This Page:

Birdsong

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
chrischance

Birdsong

Post by chrischance »

Sebastian Faulks' book is a powerful read, but first you must get through the pages of character building before reaching the compelling reading about life in the tunnels beneath the trenches of WW1.
Each page begs the next as the sappers dig deep to place their charges under the Jerry positions. This book is one of the best books I've read.
'Beneath the Poppy Fields'
'The Assassins Code 1'
'Carabanchel'
'The Lone Brit on 13'
'Satan's Arena'
Locked up Abroad
chrischance.co.uk
Artist

Post by Artist »

Sounds like a book I would like to read. Is it available in bookstores at this time?

Artist
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

500 pages as a paperback and been out since '94.. quite meaty, but if you're in the mood for a compelling read I'd thoroughly recommend it. Read it about thrice now in the last ten years... The missus loves it as well, as it's not just the blood, guts, bombs, rotting flesh, rats and mud that was life on the front line during WW1. There's quite a bit of character building and relationship stuff thrown in for good measure. But if you stick with it, that bit fleshes out the story.

The claustrophobic knife edge existence the Sappers had in those days would have you a nervous wreck if it was 500 pages of that from start to finish. Thank God for mobile warfare I say and the fact that 'tunneller' is no longer a job in the British army.

A moving read, especially the Somme battles and a tribute to a lost generation.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Is it still in print?

Artist
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

Still in print Artist, have no fear. I first read it when Iwas 14, the sex dialouge was fantastic....

On a more serious note, I've not read much any other fiction that gives you such a compelling view of life in the trenches. Amazing book.
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

davidemmerson wrote: I first read it when Iwas 14, the sex dialouge was fantastic....
I haven't read it for a few years, but I do remember the first time reading it yonks ago was on a long coach journey back from Germany. I ended up having to skim quickly over that bit (and get back to it later) as there was a danger of messing my pants.... Not good when you're sat on a coach for two days... :oops:

The bit I found clunky perhaps was halfway through the novel where the time leaps to 1978 for a bit before going back to 1916. The narrative describes the main character's granddaughter and her search for the identity and history of her Grandfather who fought in the First World War. Couldn't see why it was in the book.. Only a minor irritation mind.......
druadan

Post by druadan »

Now I read anything and everything, and rarely remember much about any of it (I'm just as bad with films...huge DVD collection, but ask me what any of them are about and around 50% I couldn't even tell you who plays the lead role!). However this is one book I do remember...hard work in places, but a very rewarding read, and somehow you feel closer to the author sharing all his experiences, rather than just the 'highlights.' Not a book about war, rather about a person who happened to be caught up in the war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdsong_(novel)

Film coming apparently, could potentially be what Atonement might have been if it wasn't so damn boring :roll: Or it could ruin a perfectly good book :-?
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

druadan wrote:Film coming apparently, could potentially be what Atonement might have been if it wasn't so damn boring :roll: Or it could ruin a perfectly good book :-?
I thought the film was pretty good. Or did you mean the book? I admit, the film does tail off slightly, but there is a nice twist at the end.

Sorry to be continuing this theme, but come on, Kiera Knightly moaning up against a wall.... :o

Serious head back on, who will play the lead roles in Birdsong, anyone have any ideas?
druadan

Post by druadan »

I'm confused...Atonement's boring :wink:

No idea, from reading that Wiki article it's been in the pipeline that long they've had to rethink the cast...Daniel Radcliffe is a rumour.
chrischance

Post by chrischance »

Lead role for Birdsong?
How about Ray Winstone? Probably need some one younger, but must be good to be on par with the book.
'Beneath the Poppy Fields'
'The Assassins Code 1'
'Carabanchel'
'The Lone Brit on 13'
'Satan's Arena'
Locked up Abroad
chrischance.co.uk